ZPA 0.3 v1 fan issues.

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
ReneBMW

ZPA 0.3 v1 fan issues.

Post by ReneBMW »

Hello!

As the title says, I got a zpa 0.3 from Italy, not in the best condition, but it doesn't look bad.
Took it apart to check for stay wires and to clean the board a bit
I see that ther are niche on 8200uf ps caps so I don't have to recap it, but I checked for leakage anyway, but I will replace them with Panasonic fc 8200uf either.way.
Found that the switch in the corner (for power on only with the plexi on)
And fired it up with a 10 amp fuse and a 70 watt lamp bulb in line and found out the the fans don't "kick start", the just move a bit for some seconds, then one starts, and few seconds later the other one wakes up.
As I'm planning to get them upgrade via zeropoint0.5 I don't realy care, but still I would like to know if this has more often happens, (guess so) and what causes this.
When the amp gets hot the fans start to blow hard, as normal.
Anyone any thoughts?
Ps, 2 zpa 0.3 sound even better then 1 haha
trickyricky

Re: ZPA 0.3 v1 fan issues.

Post by trickyricky »

I would check the fan circuit, i believe there where a few large resistors that got extremely hot/damaged.
ReneBMW

Post by ReneBMW »

You mean those two resistors where the board has discouloured.
Checked those, the turn out fine...
Does anybody have an in repairable zpa? (Guess not...)
Then I can take that board an replace it.
Attachments
image.jpg
brenzbmr@sb
Booty Connoisseur

Post by brenzbmr@sb »

if I recall correctly those v1 fans had issues. I would try just replacing the fans first. I used to sell v1 Zpa amps and they seemed to have that problem but the v2 were "fixed". they had different fans and IIRC they had more fins on them too.

I would try that first.
You may have subs in your car........but my doors sound better!
ReneBMW

Post by ReneBMW »

Hè branz!

I allready tested with the fans from my other zpa, no difference.
But I don't really care.
The fans start working shortly after turn-on, and as long as the work, it's fine.
I would like to replace the current limiting resistors to a lower value so the fans get more current, that way they start turning right away.
And then I can replace fans with the upgraded Adda ones.
But if I don't know what needs to be replaced with what vallues, I will just leave it as is.
I will just stay with replacing the ps caps ;-)

But thanks for thinking with me.
freshkryp69

Post by freshkryp69 »

Those V1 fan resistors will eventually burn up the board in that area.. If you put new ones in just solder them about 1/4 away from the board..
Square 1
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

brenzbmr@sb wrote:if I recall correctly those v1 fans had issues. I would try just replacing the fans first. I used to sell v1 Zpa amps and they seemed to have that problem but the v2 were "fixed". they had different fans and IIRC they had more fins on them too.

I would try that first.
The v2 fans had LESS blades. Just for clarification.

Also, I would replace the fan resistors even if they test out ok. He best way is to convert to v2, but if not, at least change the resistors out for new ones and space them from the board a little.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
ReneBMW

Post by ReneBMW »

Hey!

I replaced those current limiting resistors with some of a lower value (51ohm 3 watt wire wound)and I replaced the fans with the original (new) adda fans and now they both work perfectly.
Except that the "good" one still kickstarts at a higher rpm, but I don't care.
I replaced the power supply with new irf3205 and new 33 ohm gate resistors and the ps caps.
Amps work perfectly now!
The work isn't perfect on one of them as the previous owner fucked up some vias replacing the caps, repaired it so it works as should be, but for selling they ain't good.
A bit too much info, I know, but I love them now!
ReneBMW

Post by ReneBMW »

vwdude wrote:
brenzbmr@sb wrote:if I recall correctly those v1 fans had issues. I would try just replacing the fans first. I used to sell v1 Zpa amps and they seemed to have that problem but the v2 were "fixed". they had different fans and IIRC they had more fins on them too.

I would try that first.

Also, I would replace the fan resistors even if they test out ok. He best way is to convert to v2, but if not, at least change the resistors out for new ones and space them from the board a little.
Hey!
But as far as I know the 330 ohm wire wound resistors aren't the current limiting resistors.
And it's the smaller resistors (2 watts??) between the two 330 ohms that get hot.
Also I replaced the 90 ohm 2 watts on the right with 51 ohm 3 watts, and this seems to get the rpm of the fans to go up, wich is what I wanted.
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

ReneBMW wrote:
vwdude wrote:

I would try that first.

Hey!
But as far as I know the 330 ohm wire wound resistors aren't the current limiting resistors.
And it's the smaller resistors (2 watts??) between the two 330 ohms that get hot.
Also I replaced the 90 ohm 2 watts on the right with 51 ohm 3 watts, and this seems to get the rpm of the fans to go up, wich is what I wanted.
if you're not sure what you are doing it is better to NOT replace a resistor unless you really know what you are doing........... the panaflo fans are limited to a lower idle speed by a 91 ohm resistor. You'll find those just aside a 330 ohm resistor somewhere in the middle.....when putting in the adda fans, you indeed have to replace them with (the 91 ohms) with a 51 ohm 2-3w resistor.......... ok the adda fans move more air and have a higher idle speed, but they are 3 times as noisy as the panaflo fans, and when you put in a sound quality setup when listening at lower levels it can get annoying..........

when you live in a country like the nederlands or Belgium, it is another story then in a state like Texas or Florida, it never gets that hot so normally you
should be fine even with the panaflo fans..........
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

ReneBMW wrote:You mean those two resistors where the board has discouloured.
Checked those, the turn out fine...
Does anybody have an in repairable zpa? (Guess not...)
Then I can take that board an replace it.
i've seen much worse boards then this............

in my eyes this vertikal board looks as good as mint..........
no need to replace it.......
ReneBMW

Post by ReneBMW »

Hey zeropoint!
I like it to sound good, but it Will never be a real sq setup.
Your right about the fans making more noise, but i dont realy mind.
When (if...) i get a new car and make a sq setup I can stil make it quit withe the pannaflows.