Too many inputs?!?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Pro134134

Too many inputs?!?

Post by Pro134134 »

Hey all,
This is my first post here and I have a rather noobish question but it would be wonderful if someone could help me out! I just recently purchased a PG 215ix equalizer and am not entirely sure what RCA outputs to hook up. My headunit has a front, rear, and sub output so I guess my question is which of those three should I run through the EQ 215ix??
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Too many inputs?!?

Post by ttocs »

either use the front or the rear. Doesn't matter which one.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Pro134134

Post by Pro134134 »

Ohh ok thank you! so then my next question is does the highpass output connect to my components amp and the lowpass outputs connect to my sub amp?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

yes the 215ix will split the signal up into a high pass and a low-pass side. You are correct that you want the high-pass to go to your mids/highs componants. You could use the low pass output for your subs or you can use your decks subwoofer output. going through the eq means that you can tune the sub with the help of the EQ, going from the deck means you can control the output volume and possibly the cross over freq from the deck. Either one has its advantages and you would probably be happy with either one.
Pro134134

Post by Pro134134 »

Ahh ha you sir are a genius! Thank you oh so very much for all your help!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I would not consider myself a genius. I am not afraid too say that I am perty fart smeller but I fall just short of the genius step.

welcome too the forum. Tell us about the stereo you are building. Love love love the 215ix and used it in my last system. I traded it too eric for a 232 for my next stereo and I just need to finally come through on my end and send him my amp.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Interesting question.
@ ttocs, I always thought the rear channels of most decks were a bit limited and the fronts were straight through full range.
My reason for thinking this is that both my processors specifically say to use the front inputs only for signal because these channels are full range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

If you have a high-end deck that offers some kind of sound processing(hall/theater/ect) then there might be a difference in the front/rear outputs but otherwise the front and rear play the exact same thing. Pioneer use to have an option call front image inhancement(FIE) that limits the rear outputs frequencies in order to keep the sound stage up front but again unless you have that option turned on, until then the front/rear play the same thing. They probably recommend the fronts just to be able to name a connection point and because there is the chance your deck has one of those options but otherwise front/rear is the same difference in sound.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Thanks. That's what I always thought until I got the ms8 and now have the bit one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pro134134

Post by Pro134134 »

Ok well to be honest the 215ix is my only phoenix gold piece of equipment. I would absolutely love to own some phoenix amps but on a college kids budget they all spring to the outer bounds of it. I'm currently running a pioneer headunit, JL audio c2-650 components, alpine mrp-f300 4channel amp, pioneer champion series sub, and boss mono-amp. That's all quite old now tho and I am trying to upgrade a little starting with the 215ix. After that I'm looking at both the pioneer gm-d8604 and gm-d9601 along with morel maximo 6 components. Any thoughts? I'm more then open to suggestions
Stryker

Post by Stryker »

You can also plug in an LPL sub control to the port on on 215iX. it's a small knob that you can mount up front for continously variable sub volume.
fairly inexpensive...$40ish
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I have extra lpl if you want/need them.