A peak inside my nickel MS 1000

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Johns98TA

A peak inside my nickel MS 1000

Post by Johns98TA »

I bought this amp from Stereo Junkie recently. It is amazing to see in person. There are some signs of age and use, but overall its in great shape. The smaller caps have leaked a little, so I cleaned that up. It appears that somebody did some work on one of the boards at some point. It had the wrong isolator feet on it, and did not fit as well as the other board. The do match otherwise; both are revision E. So naturally I could not resist taking it apart to see what had been done. Anybody recognize this work? Anybody know what part of the circuitry was worked on? I have not hooked it up to power, nor do I want to for fear of ruining it. I really like just staring at it, LOL.
Enjoy!

DSC01750.JPG
DSC01727.JPG
DSC01731.JPG
DSC01732.JPG
DSC01734.JPG
DSC01737.JPG
DSC01738.JPG
DSC01740.JPG
DSC01741.JPG
DSC01742.JPG
DSC01743.JPG
DSC01746.JPG
MS1000 Nickel on display
ZX500v2, ZX450v2, ZX350v2, ZX250v2 on display
EQ232, EQ215ix, PLD1, MX2, MX3i, TBAt, Bass Cube on display
MPS2500, MPS2240, and MS275 on display
EQ230, EQ215x, PLD1, TBA1, AX204A, AX406A on display
trickyricky

Re: A peak inside my nickel MS 1000

Post by trickyricky »

Looks like the traces of an OP amp where cut open then jumped with a wire.

Are you going to look at it or use it?

Because you need to replace those filter ASAP, you can clearly see them leaking so underneath them there worse. The traces can get damage and the electrolytic juice eats up those pretty gold traces....so even if your going to look at it , it has to get the caps replaced.
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

They are quite the thing to stare at. Just beautiful. I really like the way yours looks with the green terroids. Mine are red. Im not too sure what if any difference there is besides color.
Congrats on your purchase!

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

I agree with everything trickyricky said. I'm not sure that the caps have been replaced yet, if they were he person did a decent job soldering. Some of the fets appear to be replaced as some of that soldering wasn't factory looking.

Lowandloud...I don't believe that there is a difference between red and green terroids. They went back and forth on the ZPAs as well, the red being more rare. I think it came down to suppliers, they might have changed during part of the production run.

As long as the terroids match between the two boards it wouldn't bother me. It would drive me crazy if 1board was green and the other red.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
Johns98TA

Post by Johns98TA »

Lol, I know it kills some of you guys that I like to keep my amps original! As a collector, I prefer things that have not been restored or worked on. Since this board has already been worked on, I am strongly considering sending it in for service. Altser? AAMP? Other suggestions?
MS1000 Nickel on display
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Valeks, trickyricky...there are others too.

heck i could do it, but Im not "proven" yet and I have my hands full with a mcintosh amp, my zpa, a full time job, and a family.

but man, I would love to get my hands on this amp.
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

:hmm: More rare you say? I like the sound of that.
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

vwdude wrote:I agree with everything trickyricky said. I'm not sure that the caps have been replaced yet, if they were he person did a decent job soldering. Some of the fets appear to be replaced as some of that soldering wasn't factory looking.

Lowandloud...I don't believe that there is a difference between red and green terroids. They went back and forth on the ZPAs as well, the red being more rare. I think it came down to suppliers, they might have changed during part of the production run.

As long as the terroids match between the two boards it wouldn't bother me. It would drive me crazy if 1board was green and the other red.
only the original ms2250 had green torroids....they are bigger then those of a ms2250TA (who are red)....also the green zerotorroid in the middle is bigger.

torroids on a zpa0.5 is another story............there it's probably just a difference of color...............although with alot of the red torroids you sometimes hear

a sharp sound coming out of them, witch disseapears by putting you're finger on the right spot.......... but soundwise there is no difference............

valeks or eric D are the guys who can do the job, but i would not ship that plexi with it.....so it can't get damaged......make a crate !!!!!!!!!

please do not power the amps up before recapping of the 12 ps caps is done !!!!!!!!!!

about the black wires on the back.... i have 4 original ms2250 rev E boards, haven't seen those on none of them.... if i was u, take out both boards and

compare them with eachother..........;
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

Get the thing serviced and install it already!
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

So if only the original 2250 had green terroids, how many original MS2250's had the red terroids? My MS1000 has red and as we all know, it is just 2,2250's......
To be honest, i never really noticed while looking at pics. I just assumed they used whatever they had.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
JK

Post by JK »

LowandLoud wrote:They are quite the thing to stare at. Just beautiful. I really like the way yours looks with the green terroids. Mine are red. Im not too sure what if any difference there is besides color.
Congrats on your purchase!

LL
I'll trade you... I have 3 of them with green.. I even have joerg nickel that has been completely redone... Let me know if your interested.. NOT TRYING TO POST DUMP on you john.. Thanks..
JK

Post by JK »

zeropoint0.5 wrote:
vwdude wrote:I agree with everything trickyricky said. I'm not sure that the caps have been replaced yet, if they were he person did a decent job soldering. Some of the fets appear to be replaced as some of that soldering wasn't factory looking.

only the original ms2250 had green torroids....they are bigger then those of a ms2250TA (who are red)....also the green zerotorroid in the middle is bigger.

You are kinda rite.. The original 2250's did come in green.. The 2250TA's came in red.. In comparison with these 2 the green ones are wrapped more then the red.. When it comes to the original nickel amps where they have the red ones they seem equal to the green.. I put both amps side by side and it was clear.. Although I have yet to seen a original 2250 with red terroids aside from being in the nickel..

When it comes to the other amps I'm not so sure.. I do know some had red and most had green in the ZPA's.. I think joerg tore a few appart and used them in a 2250 or MSK.. If I recall rite..

torroids on a zpa0.5 is another story............there it's probably just a difference of color...............although with alot of the red torroids you sometimes hear

a sharp sound coming out of them, witch disseapears by putting you're finger on the right spot.......... but soundwise there is no difference............

valeks or eric D are the guys who can do the job, but i would not ship that plexi with it.....so it can't get damaged......make a crate !!!!!!!!!

please do not power the amps up before recapping of the 12 ps caps is done !!!!!!!!!!

about the black wires on the back.... i have 4 original ms2250 rev E boards, haven't seen those on none of them.... if i was u, take out both boards and

compare them with eachother..........;
iroller

Post by iroller »

Dam that's pretty
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Look closely at the pathways that are "repaired".

there appears to be damage similar to my ZPA:

and these were done at the factory on purpose.

you might want to look further into those "repairs" as they might not have been necessary and might actually cause a problem. the factory disrupted those pathways for a reason.

in the case of the ZPA its because that capacitor had to be relocated because on the other side of the board it interfered with other items. the pathways that were disrupted were just not necessary in this case.

remember that the circuit boards are designed and manufactured in bulk. small revisions and updates can occur throughout the production run, but it would cost a lot of money to completely redesign the board every time this happened. as a result, they sometimes disrupt the pathways and redirect items. I highly doubt the factory would add in that extra wiring though.
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

JK wrote:I'll trade you... I have 3 of them with green.. I even have joerg nickel that has been completely redone... Let me know if your interested.. NOT TRYING TO POST DUMP on you john.. Thanks..
I appreciate the offer JK. I would most likely take you up on it too if my truck werent red, lol. I think it will look a lot better in there than a green one.
As i said before, if i decide to sell you will be first in line.... right after Itchy. :wink:

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
freshkryp69

Post by freshkryp69 »

Those red Wima's on the zpa are stock.. all my zpa's have them and 1 was new.
Square 1
itchnertamatoa
Itchy Tomato

Post by itchnertamatoa »

LowandLoud wrote:
JK wrote:I'll trade you... I have 3 of them with green.. I even have joerg nickel that has been completely redone... Let me know if your interested.. NOT TRYING TO POST DUMP on you john.. Thanks..
I appreciate the offer JK. I would most likely take you up on it too if my truck werent red, lol. I think it will look a lot better in there than a green one.
As i said before, if i decide to sell you will be first in line.... right after Itchy. :wink:

LL
:thumbs: :thumbs:
[url=http://www.phoenixphorum.com][img]http://phoenixphorum.com/templates/Titanium/images/logo.jpg[/img][/url]
ByBlaZeD

Post by ByBlaZeD »

I love the High res pics man :clap: :shock: . I want one so bad! Thanks for posting those pics. I could stare at them for hours :mrgreen:
PG Collection in the making:
2 - ZX400ti
1 - X600.1
2 - X100.4
1 - Ti2500.1
1 - Ti800.4
1 - XS2300
1 - Sapphire SA3.0X
1 - XS124
1 - White Bass CUBE
1 - Black Bass CUBE
2 - TLD66
1 - XSC10
3 - LPL44
1 - BLK RMD
1 - RMD (New Style)
Fused Distro's
Non-Fused Distro's
RCA's

Non-PG.....
1 - JL e4300
1 - JL JX500/1
1 - RF Punch 200aIV
1 - RF Punch 250m
2 - RF P2D2-12
1 - RF P165-S (Locked up woofer after 6 months!! Stay Away LOL)
1 - MTX Thunder 2150X
1 - SS Reference 414s
Johns98TA

Post by Johns98TA »

This is the display I slapped together.

2014-02-05_18-10-28_501-1.jpg
2014-02-05_18-09-12_107-1.jpg
MS1000 Nickel on display
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

it looks just amazing, but.....did you replace the ps caps or not ??
Johns98TA

Post by Johns98TA »

did you replace the ps caps or not ??
Nope. I decided to leave the originals. flame suit on.

8)

In my defense, the amp is not connected to anything. It just hangs on the wall in the quiet glory of it's own beauty.
MS1000 Nickel on display
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Its your amp, you can do whatever you wish with it....includes but not limited to bashing it with a sledge hammer.

All joking aside, those caps will cause serious damage (even when not in use) to the pretty gold board. May be in a couple of years the electrolytic may eat away the traces near them and the gold below them. Then its not going to be even worth half of what you paid, but hey you still get to look at it "WIN WIN".
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

trickyricky wrote:Its your amp, you can do whatever you wish with it....includes but not limited to bashing it with a sledge hammer.

All joking aside, those caps will cause serious damage (even when not in use) to the pretty gold board. May be in a couple of years the electrolytic may eat away the traces near them and the gold below them. Then its not going to be even worth half of what you paid, but hey you still get to look at it "WIN WIN".
X2 again..... i can show enough pics of "electrolyte that has already started to discolor or even eat away the gold of the board "......

be proud to own probably the most beautiful PG amp ever made.... but if i was u.... please replace or let replace those 24 ps caps rather today then

tomorrow..........
Johns98TA

Post by Johns98TA »

Man you guys are relentless. I read the tutorial on replacing them and it doesn't look hard for me to do. Where can I get replacement caps that are of the same color and dimensions as OEM? I don't want it to look any different physically. The black and gold caps look perfect in there. When I checked the specs on mouser, it looks like those "same" capacitors now come in a much smaller physical package.
MS1000 Nickel on display
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

The Panasonic FC are DIRECT REPLACEMENTS for the HF and HFZ (which are the ones PG used as well as other companies).

The FC is blue and gold strip....so they are THE SAME :shock: . They have the same vent stamp on the top and use the same rubber seal on the bottom if that helps convince you, lol.

Here are the "leaky" HF/HFZ

Here are the replacements that PANASONIC RECOMMENDS.

So how can you say you don't want to replace those leaky caps with EXACT replacements :shock: (Both Panasonic, both exactly the same, except the new ones HAVE MORE CAPACITANCE :twisted: )...sorry for shouting.

BTW I always use FC when replacing these caps, unless owner specifies otherwise.