Batteries and charging system.

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Drock

Batteries and charging system.

Post by Drock »

I need help. I have a "The One" amp
And struggling to figure out what the ideal electrical system would look like.

Here is what I would like for possible amp setups.

Two elite.4 and two elite.1.

Or two elite.4 and "The One"

One problem is "the one" likes 16v. Not sure what the elites are good at. I can't remember but I'll look it up.
How do I get 16v?
Obviously I'm not going to run any setup full power for any length of time. But if I ever wanted to turn it up I could.

For me this is just a challenge to build a crazy system. I've always wanted to see what I could do. I have the gear to build pretty much any system.

Thanks for any help here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Re: Batteries and charging system.

Post by Eric D »

I am not an SPL competitor, so take my response with a grain of salt.

To get 16V I am pretty sure you would need to run a second dedicated alternator to generate 16V+, and then a second battery system for holding 16V.

Why not just run the amp at 14.4V like other amps, and then over time improve your electrical system depending on your need for increased output? I would think that would be a great feature of "The One" in general. You could run the amp on a bone stock electrical system and when you get fed up with your headlights going out, you can start replacing things to improve the situation.

I had a friend back in the day who ran a 1000W Class A/B amp off an 8ga power wire because that was all he had at the time, and as he improved parts (like switching to 0ga instead of 8ga), he would increase the gain on the amp to get closer to the power it was designed to do.

You can always turn things down a bit, but you can't always turn them up.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
Drock

Post by Drock »

Thanks Eric, I definitely don't need anywhere near the max power. My goal is still a very good sq setup. I just like to see what I can build. Keeps me busy lol.
I was thinking around exactly the same lines, that I would need a second electrical setup just for "the one" amp.
I was kind of worried that under powering the amp could do damage. Is that possible?
I have 500a charging system installed currently. I average in the high 14.8v range.

Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Under powering an amplifier can only damage it if you try to get more power from it than what your electrical system can do.

Say you have a 1000W amp rated at 4ohm loads. That would be 63.25V of output (with a sine wave). Assuming say 50% efficiency (class A/B), that amp would draw 139A of current at 14.4V of input.

Now say all you have is an 8ga power wire. Well, 50A is probably the most you would want on that for typical setups, and that would be good for only 360W of output from a Class A/B amplifier. 360W at 4 ohms would be 38V of output.

If you set your gains such that you can get no more then 38V of output, then so long as you stick to a 4 ohm load, you cannot damage the amplifier. It would work just fine with its gain restricting its output.

Also as a general rule of thumb, running a big amp at way less output sounds a heck of a lot better than running a small amp near its max output.

Way back in the day I ran my Rockford Fosgate Power 500.2 (250W x 2 into 4 ohms, 1000W bridged) on an 8ga wire and to a set of 5.25in components in my doors. It sounded just fine and never damaged the amp or the components.
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Manual specifies for at least a High Performance 250a alternator and three High Performance deep cycle batteries with at least a 800CCA. Also all three power terminals must be HOOKED UP with 0g wire. CAREFUL as one of the terminals is reversed (as stated in the manual).

While its 90% efficient, you might be able to get away with 250a alternator and a single 800CCA battery...you won't get full power and you could possibly damage the amplifier as Eric stated. The big numbers that are the manual are at 16v, check out the 14.4v.
Drock

Post by Drock »

I haven't seen the manual. My amp did not come with one. I'll look it up.
I would be running either 4 or 2 ohm load.
I will most likely be running three optima yellow tops. Or three xs d4300 batteries. And I have 2 250amp alts. I currently have two batts under the hood. And two 0ga runs to the back to the distro.
And with a .4 & .1 I stay pretty steady at 14.8-15v
Can the one amp run at 4ohm safe? Specs are 2 & 1 ohm

Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

On mine I have a 300 amp alternator and a Stinger SPP2250 feeding one Elite.1 at 1 ohm and one Elite.4, and it does it with rock steady voltage. You could obviously double that to do two Elite.1's and two Elite.4's. That set up would work for The One in place of the Elite.1's, if you ran The One at 2 ohm, and it would make comparable power to the pair of Elite.1's at that load. But, that defeats the purpose of using The One imo. LE or not I'd rather run the Elites than The One if I was only going to get 8000 watts rms either way I went.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Drock wrote:I haven't seen the manual. My amp did not come with one. I'll look it up.
I would be running either 4 or 2 ohm load.
I will most likely be running three optima yellow tops. Or three xs d4300 batteries. And I have 2 250amp alts. I currently have two batts under the hood. And two 0ga runs to the back to the distro.
And with a .4 & .1 I stay pretty steady at 14.8-15v
Can the one amp run at 4ohm safe? Specs are 2 & 1 ohm

That sounds like you have the electrical part taken care of.

Can an amplifier safely run at a higher load? OF COURSE, just don't expect the same power ratings as of 2ohms. You'll get a little over half of what the 2ohm rating is. For example if its 4kwatts at 2ohms you'll get somewhere around 2.5kwatts at 4ohms.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I am not sure all Class D amps work OK on higher impedances. I can see no way in which one would break, but since Class D amps have a passive filter on their output, my fear would be that with too high of a load impedance you might start hearing anomalies from the square (or triangle) wave output bleeding through the filter.

But, this is pure speculation, and I have not tested it, nor have I read anything about anyone else doing so.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Kirghiz wrote:On mine I have a 300 amp alternator and a Stinger SPP2250 feeding one Elite.1 at 1 ohm and one Elite.4, and it does it with rock steady voltage. You could obviously double that to do two Elite.1's and two Elite.4's. That set up would work for The One in place of the Elite.1's, if you ran The One at 2 ohm, and it would make comparable power to the pair of Elite.1's at that load. But, that defeats the purpose of using The One imo. LE or not I'd rather run the Elites than The One if I was only going to get 8000 watts rms either way I went.
But wouldn't 4 k at 4ohm be pretty great. Besides just looking at this amp in person is f-ing so impressive.
Lol
But it should also be not so hard on the electrical.
Thats what I'm thinking anyway.

Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

In terms of SQ the difference between The One at 4 ohm or a pair of Elite.1's strapped at 4 ohm (5,000+ watts) will be splitting hairs. In fact I sort of think it'd be identical, even the power output. I think of The One as literally two Elite.1's strapped except that it's one ohm stable. If the Elite.1 were half ohm stable it would be literally half of The One in terms of output. Hell, the Elite.1 probably is half ohm stable, or at least 1 ohm stable strapped, but no one is brave enough to hook a pair of $1200 amps up that way to try it. I'm damn sure not doing it.

@ Eric D: Morgan has said that the Elite.1 works just fine at 4 ohm, it makes roughly 1200 rms at that load. I don't think The One would be any different.

Personally I would probably go with the two Elite.1's instead because of install flexibility, and the amps would all match, but it's a matter of preference. Fundamentally I think the choices are the same.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Totally agree. But as impressive as the .1 is, the one is awesome to look at.
I'll see how the pair of .1s turn out. Then decide. I can't help but think about what Eric said about the amps being close in power, but the one will do it with ease. Where as the .1 would be working hard. In term of install, either way is a bit of work.

Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

The million dollar questions here is, "what subs are you going to run with it? How much power do you actually need/want?". You just built that underseat box for the two Elites. If you are just going to run a pair of dual 4 Elites, then The One at 4 ohm is still probably more power than you really want on those subs. An Elite.1 at 1 ohm on a pair is already borderline pushing the limits of those subs, and The One at 4 ohms would be like 5,000 watts. If that is all you're going to run, I really think you are over complicating the install. I can appreciate wanting to get The One in there because it's cool, but your going to either need more subs, or subs with more ass behind them than the Elites. The One at just about any reasonable load will eat a pair of Elites for lunch. If you put over 2k rms on each you WILL fry them. It'd only be a matter of how long they last.

That amp is for a pair of subs with 4" coils or a bunch of smaller subs. To put it in perspective, a Ti2500.1 can drive the hell out of a pair of Elites, albeit below rated power, so you could actually run 4 Elites very well off of the 5,000 watt 4 ohm power of that amp. Putting that power to a pair would be preposterous, even if you were judicious with the gain and volume.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Yes I have four elites 12's.