Pg warrenty

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Drock

Pg warrenty

Post by Drock »

Well one of my bnib elite 12d4 lasted about 15 min, driver ceased right up.
I've been trying to get it repaired under warrenty.
No luck though, and pretty disappointed with pg service.
Very frustrated.
All I got for a response back from pg was "sorry we do not cover items not purchased from an authorized dealer",
I do understand that the rules are there for a reason,
But I figured that someone would at least talk to me, and try to help me with another solution. But nothing at all.

Also this sub was bnib, however I did buy from eBay. The seller was a pg dealer that is no longer a dealer for whatever reason. The seller was clearing out his pg inventory.

I am in Canada and we have only have one so called pg dealer. I have asked several times to get me pricing and availability on pg item repeatedly. They never get back to me,
And then the dealer has to try to get items through Gentek, who is the distributor for pg in Canada.

Basically pg has made it very very hard for me to get any pg gear from an authorized dealer.
This is the main reason I I have great respect for all the members here that have gone out of there way to help me aquire all my pg gear.

I currently own probably $20k in pg gear. I buy pg because I absolutely love their gear. And when it comes to collecting amps they are at the top of my list.

But I do have a sour taste now, there service is terrible. They could have at least offered to repair it at some cost. Or offered a recone kit, anything really, other than to bad so sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Re: Pg warrenty

Post by Bfowler »

shit, that sucks...i wish i had something better to tell you :(
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Drock

Post by Drock »

Lol. Just venting. I love the the gold. But at the moment I want my baby fixed.

ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

what were you powering it with?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Drock

Post by Drock »

A pair of elite 12d4 on the elite.1 at 1ohm. ( and no I didn't have it clipping. ) they are brand new. So I always go easy as I know they are not broken in yet. I'm pretty sure it was just a bad coil.

yeddy

Post by yeddy »

I'm pretty sure I got one from the same guy too. I hope it's good, haven't had the chance to try it yet. Just wondering, did the voice coils just unravel or did they actually burn out? I got a broken elite shipped to me by mistake the other week, the cone didn't move at all, but there is still separate continuity through each voice coil, they just seemed to unravel inside. After having 3 of these subs in my hands, I'm a little disappointed on the build quality and QC! I've rep'd PG, It's ran through my veins since '96 and feel a little let down with these subs... AND we do need a proper dealer here in Canada!
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

Drock wrote:A pair of elite 12d4 on the elite.1 at 1ohm. ( and no I didn't have it clipping. ) they are brand new. So I always go easy as I know they are not broken in yet. I'm pretty sure it was just a bad coil.

Even from an authorised dealer, send a subwoofer back with a burned coil, it will never be warranty......

If it would be a problem caused in production there would have to be more subs to have this problem

and then maybe phoenix gold will repair/recone the subwoofer under warranty.........
Drock

Post by Drock »

Yes I realize this, but a bnib sub should not seize within 15 min of installing. In 20 years I have not ever blown a speaker.
I guess my problem is not so much that pg won't warranty the sub, as much as it is that they didn't even try to offer a different solution to help me out.
I sent an email a week ago and still no reply.
I just want to get it fixed ASAP.
I have new ones on the way. But I can't bring myself to toss this one in the trash. If I could get a recone kit. I would find someone to rebuild it.

Drock

Post by Drock »

Weird I just put a dmm on the coils and the both measure good. I can push the cone in and out, but it stays in or out like there is tight friction. Like something is holding the coil.
I've never worked on a sub so I guess this will be the time to learn.

yeddy

Post by yeddy »

Shine a flashlight into a vent off the side, you'll see the coil is probably starting to unravel like the one I have.. maybe that's why they put that black coating over the coil..
ajaye

Post by ajaye »

Drock wrote:Weird I just put a dmm on the coils and the both measure good. I can push the cone in and out, but it stays in or out like there is tight friction. Like something is holding the coil.
I've never worked on a sub so I guess this will be the time to learn.

Its possible something fell in the vent, say a piece of insulation from stripped wire, and melted on the coil. No way to know really what's going on without opening it up I guess. They are kind of holding you hostage on that if you can't even pay for repair/parts service. That sucks man, hopefully you can work something out.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

ajaye wrote:They are kind of holding you hostage on that if you can't even pay for repair/parts service.
This is absolute bullshit. I can see sticking to their guns on the warranty work to protect the distributors, but if they manufacture a product they should at least offer to repair it for a fee, or in the very least make the parts available, regardless of where/how it was purchased.

That's bullshit customer service by AAMP of America.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Drock

Post by Drock »

I sent another email request today to the out of warrenty department off the pg website.
Hopefully they will get back to me with a solution.

ajaye

Post by ajaye »

Good luck. I know my last email took a while, but they did respond. They blew me off too lol, but they did respond.

I've always felt like for me, the reason I buy an expensive high end model vs lower quality is both the superior performance and the fact that higher end electronics, historically are much more easily serviced and the customer service in theory should be better and more informed. Letting the word get out that a high end piece is worthless if it breaks and is out of warranty can't be a very good marketing plan.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Well I'm trying to stay positive and assume they will help out in some form.

Drock

Post by Drock »

What a fucking joke. Pg got back to me this afternoon with an equally disappointing response.
This was from the out of warrenty department this time.
They are sorry but pg does not service, nor sell repair kits for subwoofers.

Wtf, I am so irritated about this.
So now I'm out $500 Canadian for this fucking sub. 15 min of use and no warrenty because the guy I bought from is no longer a dealer, and I can't service it because they don't sell parts.
So where does that leave me, SHIT OUT OF LUCK.

Maybe I should start running my business like this. I could make a lot mor money.

Sorry to rant, normally this would not bug me so much. But this is a new product. Not something older. And it's not a $150 sub either. I'm out $500.

Thanks for nothing pg!!

kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

that is bs I would hate to see if "The one" fails or any of your many elite amps
that's bs the sub was bought from pg as a stock just because the company broke ties will pg your fucked

What I would do is take the sub apart showing all your pics etc. show why that elite pos failed. there is no way you over powered it or miss used it. it was DOA out of the box
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

I agree ...if this is how PG is gonna treat loyal PG die-hards who buy the gear and pretty much tell the user ...Sorry, but you're fucked ...then they will lose quite a bit of people.:naughty: . Love the Elite stuff, but if this is how they're gonna treat the loyal users / followers ...shame on them ...word of mouth is a bitch :evil: . This should be under a "Grandfather" clause since the sub was bought from a dealer, doesn't matter if they're no longer on the list, it was acquired from them when the dealer was still active ...what a crock of shit. Guess I won't be getting and Elite sub after all :naughty: , would rather spend the coin on a W7 :twisted: from a reputable company that actually gives a shit about the end user. :clap:
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

I hear that bs I just delt a image dynamic idmax 12 that was the last straw with pg they already lost a deal in minute they should treat member as dealers we promote say good bad or other more than any store. Silly over a sub that cost 250ish to make people back off.
Don't over power a elite sub with.more than 800 watt for 15 minutes it might stop working..
Last I check eric d reviews hit better than pas mag and its real info
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
ajaye

Post by ajaye »

@Drock I agree with kg, if you are comfortable doing it, I'd take it apart and take pics or even better take video of the process and the parts that failed. If nothing else, you can shed some light on the true material and build quality of the thing. If its a clear and obvious defect there is the small chance PG will reconsider and help you out. There is also the chance of a specialty place being able to repair it so its at least not a $500 paperweight. It won't come back exactly in factory spec but who knows, some dude out there may have the parts and knowledge to get it close depending on what actually went wrong.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Well, I got shut down twice. So I guess it's safe to take it apart.
I'll let you know how it goes. Makes me sick to do this, but not good for anything the way it sits.

ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

its unfortunate but that is the risk we run buying from unauthorized dealers. sorry man.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

why don't you try to contact Morgan West one time and ask try to ask if there would be a possibility

of reconing the sub, even if you pay for it..... there must have to be a solution to solve the problem....

a reconed sub is like a new one.......if there is no warranty, i can understand, but that they would even

could recone it out of warranty, that would be strange,my opinion......
Drock

Post by Drock »

Pg replied twice saying they do not repair or sell recone kits.
Which kind of pisses me off.
If the elite subs at $450 retail are a disposable driver. They should make sure people are aware.
Offer a recone like most all other high end companies.
And again this is a brand new sub.

ajaye

Post by ajaye »

Drock wrote:Pg replied twice saying they do not repair or sell recone kits.
Which kind of pisses me off.
If the elite subs at $450 retail are a disposable driver. They should make sure people are aware.
Offer a recone like most all other high end companies.
And again this is a brand new sub.

This says to me that they've run the numbers, and the cost of just replacing failed subs (covered by warranty) with new ones is less than the cost of stocking replacement parts and bench time over the long run. They either anticipated a VERY low failure rate, or there is a pretty significant markup from their cost to dealer cost. Not sure what to make of that, but I too would be pissed off.