Planning install and need opinions on amps

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
oilworker

Planning install and need opinions on amps

Post by oilworker »

I want to start the install in my 2007 Corvette soon and debating on which amps to run. I have a good amount of M series amps to choose from to get the job done or I can get a good deal on an Elite.5 I have an M100, 2 M50's, an M44, 3 M25's, 2 Outlaws, and a Bandit. I think it would be cooler to run some of the old school stuff and possibly give the amps a custom finish to match the car. I have been reading very good things about the Elite amps though and it makes me want one. I can't decide what front speakers I am going to run until I know what amps I will be using. I am after very good sound quality but also want it to be able to get very loud when I need it to. Car has a 440" LS7 that makes over 700hp so it isn't exactly quiet. Is it worth spending the cash on the Elite if I have a gang of good old M series amps laying around to choose from? And of course, caps in them have already been replaced so they are ready to run. Thanks in advance, Phil.
Stryker

Re: Planning install and need opinions on amps

Post by Stryker »

old school ftw!!!
screw car audio, I'd rather go fast....errr, wait a minute.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

I cant give a response until you put up pictures of both the car (and motor) and the amp collection.

Now to be serious, its up to you. running a 5 channel amp means it takes up less space than a bunch of amps, you need less wiring, and with a new amp you will get better reliability.

this is coming from a guy who chose to use old school amps. I would do my install all over again too. My mind set was that anybody who is new to car audio can go buy the best amps out there today, but it takes an aficionado to install old school amps (that are just as good) rather than go for the new. it adds character to the install.

I hope some of my advise has been helpful and not just obvious jabber.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I would not refinish any of the limited edition stuff unless they were damaged already. And honestly with the new stuff out I am installing elite gear in my car when it gets back on the road. First PG gear I considered buying in a decade, nice stuff and with the power ratings of it next to the M gear its hard to ignore.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
oilworker

Post by oilworker »

Vwdude that was helpful. Thank you.
Also i would not refinish any of the limited edition stuff. If i go the custom finish route i will use a few of the standard m series amps. I think i have most of it figured out. I will post details soon.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

I'm glad I could be of assistance.

So where are the pics of that sweet sweet modified LS7? My LS car was by far my favorite car that I've owned so far.

Btw, I'm putting old,school amp install up against so me serious high dollar modern systems in a MECA competition in May. I'm pretty sure I do t have a chance, but if I can hang then I think I will have proven something about old school vs new school.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
oilworker

Post by oilworker »

Johns98TA

Post by Johns98TA »

DAMN that car is sweet! I LOVE black. I'll bet its a blast to hang the ass-end of that thing out sideways!
As for amps, I would say if you are going for best sound then use the elites. If you are going for show then might as well use the older stuff with the display boards. Use a clear or custom plexi to set it off. Really though, who is going to give a shit about your stereo when they see that car and hear the motor running!
MS1000 Nickel on display
ZX500v2, ZX450v2, ZX350v2, ZX250v2 on display
EQ232, EQ215ix, PLD1, MX2, MX3i, TBAt, Bass Cube on display
MPS2500, MPS2240, and MS275 on display
EQ230, EQ215x, PLD1, TBA1, AX204A, AX406A on display
todd217

Post by todd217 »

Johns98TA wrote:DAMN that car is sweet! I LOVE black. I'll bet its a blast to hang the ass-end of that thing out sideways!
As for amps, I would say if you are going for best sound then use the elites. If you are going for show then might as well use the older stuff with the display boards. Use a clear or custom plexi to set it off. Really though, who is going to give a shit about your stereo when they see that car and hear the motor running!
I think your nickel would look the best in it lol
Johns98TA

Post by Johns98TA »

Me too but that would take a steep offer. I really enjoy staring at it! LOL
MS1000 Nickel on display
ZX500v2, ZX450v2, ZX350v2, ZX250v2 on display
EQ232, EQ215ix, PLD1, MX2, MX3i, TBAt, Bass Cube on display
MPS2500, MPS2240, and MS275 on display
EQ230, EQ215x, PLD1, TBA1, AX204A, AX406A on display
oilworker

Post by oilworker »

Johns98TA wrote:DAMN that car is sweet! I LOVE black. I'll bet its a blast to hang the ass-end of that thing out sideways!
I care about the stereo! My last few cars were turbo cars so this one isn't as fun to listen to. It does sound good but I want a bad ass stereo to go with the bad ass car. You also said exactly what I am planning. My current plan is to use 4 of my M-series amps. Remove the white case, paint the heat sinks black and mount them in a row on a piece of aluminum so that it looks like one long amp and make a plexi cover for it. Run an M50 to a 10" sub, an M25 bridged to each 8" door speaker, and another M50 on the tweets. Will use an Audison bit1 for processing and to control the active front stage.
oilworker

Post by oilworker »

todd217 wrote:
That is a beautiful amplifier!