AX204A smells burnt no marks on board

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Derekdahms

AX204A smells burnt no marks on board

Post by Derekdahms »

I bought a AX204A off E-bay about a year ago. I waited about 4 months before i installed it ( my bad) so when I did put it in it made a high pitched ear piercing sound. I noticed a faint burn smell when I opened the package for the first time , but still I hoped for the best. Anyways , I have bought another one from TTOCS on this site that works. Just wondering if these things are fixable or is it just for spare parts now? I looked at the board on both sides and see no burn marks , all the soldering looks good . I'm baffled a little. My first BURN from E-Bay. Only out 70 bucks but still pisses me off. Bought it from some ass clown Washington. If anything , the casing is in good shape.. Let me know what u think !!!
Pioneer AVH 5600
Ms250
MS2125
2-XS2500
2- XS2300
1- ZX475TI
2-Ax204a
1PG capacitor
JL woofs , Hertz highs
1 RF BD1001
MTX 2180
trickyricky

Re: AX204A smells burnt no marks on board

Post by trickyricky »

Could of being a cap releasing some stress, lol.
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

Its most likely fixable. You would have to send it to one of the pro's for a check up.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

I would not worry especially if the board looks fine and clean and never repaired before.....
Derekdahms

Post by Derekdahms »

The board is clean , just need someone to look at it for me , I honestly think it is one of the switches inside that is failing. Is this something that tricky Ricky could fix ??
Pioneer AVH 5600
Ms250
MS2125
2-XS2500
2- XS2300
1- ZX475TI
2-Ax204a
1PG capacitor
JL woofs , Hertz highs
1 RF BD1001
MTX 2180
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Did you get the unit repaired or sold?
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

what does it taste like?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

It may be something as simple as the wrong r-network used. I had a member here send me a PG processor (can't remember model) but ended up being the wrong r-network chip, it caused similar issue.....high pitch noise (around 1khz) on all of the outputs.
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

trickyricky wrote:It may be something as simple as the wrong r-network used. I had a member here send me a PG processor (can't remember model) but ended up being the wrong r-network chip, it caused similar issue.....high pitch noise (around 1khz) on all of the outputs.
witch one are "the wrong R-nets" ?? those out of Xs amps ??

just curious to know..................;
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

zeropoint0.5 wrote:
trickyricky wrote:It may be something as simple as the wrong r-network used. I had a member here send me a PG processor (can't remember model) but ended up being the wrong r-network chip, it caused similar issue.....high pitch noise (around 1khz) on all of the outputs.

No, they (whoever switched it out) purchased the wrong configuration of rnetworks. For example, in all the PG products that require the Rnetwork chips....all the resistors are individual/isolated (for example the ic socket with individual resistors)...well the one I removed had resistors tied together/bussed which caused the weird noise on the processor. You pretty much have to go through each datasheet in order to get the correct rnetwork with the resistors isolated.

Its easy once you get the hang of it, and I prefer the rnetworks over the hand build w/individual resistors (even though I've build those as well..for quick fix or tuning).
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

trickyricky wrote:
zeropoint0.5 wrote:

No, they (whoever switched it out) purchased the wrong configuration of rnetworks. For example, in all the PG products that require the Rnetwork chips....all the resistors are individual/isolated (for example the ic socket with individual resistors)...well the one I removed had resistors tied together/bussed which caused the weird noise on the processor. You pretty much have to go through each datasheet in order to get the correct rnetwork with the resistors isolated.

Its easy once you get the hang of it, and I prefer the rnetworks over the hand build w/individual resistors (even though I've build those as well..for quick fix or tuning).
i understand.... if you build them explained like in the owners manual you should be fine.......

thanks for the input......
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Correct. If you understand that then you should be able to understand the datasheets that show isolated and bussed configurations.