What is the best Way to rip CDs on pc

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Tony_jr_LGND

What is the best Way to rip CDs on pc

Post by Tony_jr_LGND »

I have been buying CD's like crazy lately and a couple months ago i bought Master P's Ice Cream Man album

And jesus christ the quality on my ipod is god awful especially on track 11 time to check my crackhouse, playing off of my cassete adapter theres a slight quality dip in the bass and clarity but what's really horrid is that it starts to crack at high pitched sounds, this is just off of ipod though i put in the cd and there is a noticeable difference, my question is how do i rip the cd to get the best quality out of it, im not too techy so i just hit rip when i pop the cd in my itunes, I like CD's too but i hate scratching them so i usually just play off of ipod to preserve my cd's.
Kirghiz

Re: What is the best Way to rip CDs on pc

Post by Kirghiz »

First. When you burn the CD in itunes, select the Apple Lossless format. Makes a bigger file on your computer, but the quality is much better and well worth it.

Second.....Get a new head unit, one that has a USB input and can play an ipod directly through the USB.

What you are hearing is poor quality mp3 being run through a poor quality adapter.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Tony_jr_LGND

Post by Tony_jr_LGND »

Kirghiz wrote:First. When you burn the CD in itunes, select the Apple Lossless format. Makes a bigger file on your computer, but the quality is much better and well worth it.

Second.....Get a new head unit, one that has a USB input and can play an ipod directly through the USB.

What you are hearing is poor quality mp3 being run through a poor quality adapter.
Yeah i fugured the casette adapter would play a part but thaks i had never heard of lossless format before, where on itunes is the option for lossless format?(i am running the latest version of itunes btw)
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

the cassette adaptor will be your biggest sound problem to get around.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Tony_jr_LGND

Post by Tony_jr_LGND »

ttocs wrote:the cassette adaptor will be your biggest sound problem to get around.
Yeah i figured thatd ve the biggest problem but ud still like to rip the cds the best as i can, Planning on either getting the alpine cde-153bt or the cde-154bt i kind of like the finish on the 154 better
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

when you put the disc in the drive itunes will usually popup and ask if you want to import the cd and at the top of the window there will be a dropdown that defaults to mp3 format. you can pull down that menu and it will give options. I think it says "ALAC (Lossless Format)", or something along those lines. Select that one. The file size will be roughly three to four times larger than mp3, so make sure you have space on your HD and your ipod. As someone that listens to an ipod by USB, the difference isn't huge, but it is definitely noticeable on good audio equipment. Particularly on higher frequencies with rapid changes, like rock and metal. Bass heavy music I don't even bother with lossless format because it doesn't help or hurt bass much. I doubt you'd hear much of a difference with Master P. Really, I don't think you'd be able to benefit much from lossless without higher end audio gear either. By the time lower end amps and speakers get done distorting the signal what's a little more from an mp3?

Getting around the cassette adaptor will do more for you than anything.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Tony_jr_LGND

Post by Tony_jr_LGND »

Kirghiz wrote:when you put the disc in the drive itunes will usually popup and ask if you want to import the cd and at the top of the window there will be a dropdown that defaults to mp3 format. you can pull down that menu and it will give options. I think it says "ALAC (Lossless Format)", or something along those lines. Select that one. The file size will be roughly three to four times larger than mp3, so make sure you have space on your HD and your ipod. As someone that listens to an ipod by USB, the difference isn't huge, but it is definitely noticeable on good audio equipment. Particularly on higher frequencies with rapid changes, like rock and metal. Bass heavy music I don't even bother with lossless format because it doesn't help or hurt bass much. I doubt you'd hear much of a difference with Master P. Really, I don't think you'd be able to benefit much from lossless without higher end audio gear either. By the time lower end amps and speakers get done distorting the signal what's a little more from an mp3?

Getting around the cassette adaptor will do more for you than anything.
Thanks, yeah im excited to buy myself an alpine soon this cassette dapter and factory system is killing me, i just dont want to compromise sound quality when i switch from CDs to primarily using an ipod, while rap instrumentals are not as constantly evolving throughout a song like rock that you listen to i do have a bit of old west coast rap thats heavy on bass and high pitched g funk synthesizer instrumentals