Who needs a bass cube knob?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
trickyricky

Re: Who needs a bass cube knob?

Post by trickyricky »

Okay I might have to make more than ten, lol. Good thing I didn't get to place the order yet. Once I finish them the owners can decide to have shipped to weaklink for proper test fitting (or I'll send one to weaklink and he can go measure that one to make all the control panels the same so he can shipped that item to you....for those that will want it w/control panel).

I will have to get with weaklink for those details to ensure proper results with the board and control panel before any get shipped out.
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

So you mean something along the lines of this little gem I designed? (almost 2 years ago)

Fabrication of the PCB will be the largest hurdle, it is very expensive if you do not make a bunch at a time, or it will be very time consuming fabricating them one at a time with a proto board. I went the proto route, and it still took 2-3 hrs each. These also get even more difficult to make as you try to make it smaller, because proto boards only offer so much space and you have to be very creative with the circuit layout.
Next is the price of the parts, which doesnt look like much at first, but you have to order in bulk to offset the cost of shipping, and it all adds up very quickly.
Dont forget about material costs either, because soldering supplies & aluminum also cost money.

I could not build the remotes for even close to what Jason was selling them for, and that doesnt include the time I spent redesigning the circuit to include a Tri-LED or the time it took to actually make each one. I honestly would not be surprised if Jason lost money on the remotes he sold.

So what is your time worth to you? Maybe I'm spoiled & get paid too much at work (not really), but Im not about to burn up my free time for a couple dollars. I would add ~$20 to each remote I made, which was barely $5 an hour, and even that was asking too much for most buyers, because that is all they wanted to pay for them. (not everyone, most here recognize quality & understand what stuff is worth)
I havent given up on this though, I recently built my own CNC mill & just have to invest the time in laying out the circuit in EagleCAD, convert it to Gcode, and then engrave it on my mill. I think if I can make a batch of boards & cut the assembly time significantly, building these guys could potentially turn a little profit. (assuming you can sell them all right away)

One question I do have is why would you want an LPL along side a basscube? LPL is a poor substitute for a BC, and with the one you do not need the other.
I had also looked into adding a voltmeter to the BC remote, even found a small enough LCD to keep it relatively compact still, but never got around to incorporating them together. Would be simple enough, just add another RJ11 socket on the back for an RMD cable. What I had wanted to do was to use a RJ45 (ethernet) plug/socket on the remote side for a single connection, and a cat5 cable so I could use an RJ11 plug to connect the BC but have extra wires for connecting to the power terminal of the BC (Gnd & Rem) which would power the voltmeter.

I chose to mount the LEDs to the board & not connect them with a cable, reason being with 3 of them it would be crucial for anyone installing it to drill perfectly spaced holes cleanly, something that can be hard to do on a drill press let alone on the dash of a car with a handheld drill. If you do a mounting plate with the remote there is no need to put the LEDs on a leash.
A single LED would be good on a leash, much like the original remotes offered, and in that case I would also forgo the mounting plate & just let people mount them in their interior plastics as best they will fit.
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Your's look very nice and I will try make it as small as possible but dont know yet how small it will be. Could you share your boards dimensions therefore I have an idea of how small to keep it (going for 1.5" x 1").

Am not looking to make any profit, more like helping members out. I need one as I just purchased a BC, otherwise I wouldn't of even bother or asked about them.

BTW is your enclosed or just mounted to a 3/4" x 1 1/4" aluminum angle? That would be the cheapest way to go and it looks pretty freaking sexy if you ask me. But that would require aluminum/metal knobs, the ones am looking to get are from Eagle Plastics soft touch (plain and simple, retro look).

And I will be sticking with a single LED as that's what the majority wants.

I know exactly what your talking about when you say there is no money to be made, if I wanted to make hi-quality boards then I would have a company produce a large batch a 100 or so....heck even use SMD components instead and really make the control tiny. By then you would have to charge over 50.00 for each controller (not a good idea if you ask me).

I will first make one and see how it goes from there.
Drock

Post by Drock »

If you can make me remotes with bc controls, lpl, and voltage display is one nice unit. I'd pay more than $50 any-day. A new lpl goes for 40-50 bucks on eBay easy.

And the bc remote and lpl do not do the same thing. I like to use both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

Lets say LPL is $40, RMD is $30, BC remote say $50, You willing to pay $120 or more for that custom control center Drock?

The board I used was 1/2"x1.25", and honestly was plenty small. The components & having some space around the LEDs kept the board from getting any smaller. I did use alum angle, because it was a perfect fit & required very little fabrication. The angle was 1"x1/2" & cut to 2.5" in length.
I used a ton of different knobs, and the solid metal guitar knobs have the absolute perfect feel to them & just look plain sick. They add a real quality feel to the remote, something you may not understand until actually holding it.

I was very happy with the outcome, and the pos feedback is great to hear.
I'm all for helping members out & not taking advantage, but the money you have to invest in bulk parts, the time it takes to assemble them all, then test, package, & ship? It is rediculous to do all of that & people to expect you to do it for free. Make sure you keep a tab on expenses, because breaking even is harder than you'd think.
Last edited by audiophyle_247 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drock

Who needs a bass cube knob?

Post by Drock »

You bet.
It's worth it to me. I use my current controls non stop everyday.

audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

Drock wrote: And the bc remote and lpl do not do the same thing. I like to use both.
Can you elaborate on the differences please? I know everything about the Basscube, what am I missing from the LPL? It attenuates the signal entering the preamp section of the amp, why would you need that with a Basscube that will also turn down the level of the bass?
Weaklink

Post by Weaklink »

If memory serves. The bc is a variable boost that once set to the sweet spot of the sub will adjust the frequency to the incoming signal to make the boost sound more natural. The lpl will attenuate the whole signal not just the boosted frequency. BTW your controller is sweet. Is it ok if I borrow a few ideas from it?
2008 toy tundra
Kenwood dnx-9980hd
Hertz hi energy 3-way
Hertz hi energy coax
M50 ser# M500001
M25 ser#M2500001
Outlaw x3
Bandit x4
Route 66 x2
M100x3
M44x2
M50 x4
M25 x5
Powercore 15
Ti Basscube
And other goodies
Drock

Post by Drock »

^^^^the lpl is just a remote gain control for the amp.
The bc gets me the narrower band that works best then pushes that narrow band.
But I still use the lpl to constantly adjust my gain depending on tracks.

I'm in no way a tech guy by any means. This is just my shitty understanding of what I've read. And also what is working great for me.
Also, I love the new elite lpl remotes. The clip indicator is a very helpful tool.
I personally would love to just have a unit that had all the controls and rmd in one chassis.

audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

That makes sense I guess. I havent tried tying an LPL into the mix, with my BC at zero the bass heavy songs are right where I like them, and then I just use the BC to bring up the bass where needed on songs with softer bass tracks. My sub is crossed over fairly low, so the boost range of the BC when set to wide (low Q) pretty much boosts the entire sub section fairly easily, & still has a good level of tuning capability. Otherwise I listen to too much variety to actually tune the BC to every single song while driving with a narrow (high Q) setting.

Weaklink wrote: Is it ok if I borrow a few ideas from it?
I have no problem with that, just have to share with everyone what you come up with (pics & descriptions).
mndevil

Post by mndevil »

I need 1 bracket, lmk weaklink. Thanks
1 MPS2220; 1 MPS2240; 1 MAC200; 3 MS275; 1 MQ430; 3 MPS2500; 3 MS2125; 1 MS1000TA
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Got my BC today, I quickly replace the RCA's :mrgreen: and for the heck of it I'll replace all the wet caps (since am in there).

BTW those are neutrik jacks 8) ..not the cheap ones you find on ebay.

Now time to work on the remotes....am trying to locate the potentiometer that has the "pull/push" switch. Can't seem to find it :doh: , I did find one that switches on once you rotate it a bit clockwise (like most pots with a switch...fully-counterclockwise is off and then as soon as you turn it a bit clockwise it switches it on). So don't if the guys will still want one, I could add one of those push switches (similar to those use in PG's) right next to the pot... Let me know your thoughts guys.
Weaklink

Post by Weaklink »

I like the idea of turn-on. Less chance to accidentally turn it off when adjusting. IMO.
2008 toy tundra
Kenwood dnx-9980hd
Hertz hi energy 3-way
Hertz hi energy coax
M50 ser# M500001
M25 ser#M2500001
Outlaw x3
Bandit x4
Route 66 x2
M100x3
M44x2
M50 x4
M25 x5
Powercore 15
Ti Basscube
And other goodies
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Found the "push/pull" pot....downer is its expensive, almost 5 bucks each but that would eliminate the need of separate switch or using the rotary switch pot. I'll get both just in case I get stomped I can use the rotary pot....push/pull doesn't sound to bad...I'll make sure its the same as original (pull to engage.turn on, push to disengage/turn off).

Hopefully I get started on it tonight, I'll use my breadboard first to make sure everything is working, then place everything on the prototype boards.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Sweet, I would prefer the push pull knob myself. It's worth the $5 to me.

trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Thanks for the input Drock, I kind of like the idea of starting with the level low and then tuning it to a perfect spot plus I can't see why you would turn the BC on and off constantly....am sure it will change a bit with different genre so can't see why it would be critical do "save" the position of the level. Turning it on all of a sudden will create a sudden difference immediately (and I'll do some testing and listening), as oppose a rotary switch that turns the BC on once you start raising the level of the unit, then set it to your perfect spot. The only difference I see is multiple cycles on the pot's life (that's only if your planning on turning your BC on and off constantly) but the pots I purchase have a very long life (100,000 cycles for the rotary switch pot, and 15,000 cycles on the push/pull pot....so dont have to worry about these puppies failing).
Drock

Post by Drock »

Awesome.
My BC is set pretty much all the time. But as my truck is also work/family vehicle, I turn the cube off when others are in the truck. Wife hates the bass and kids are embarrassed. Lol
But even with the bc on and turned up the way I like it daily, every now and again I'll turn the gain up on the amp for a little extra punch. Which is why I like the lpl. Also as I have all elite amps, the lpl has a clip indicator light which I like a lot.

Drock

Post by Drock »

The other reason is all my channels run through my ms8 processor, so my sub controls from my h/u don't get used. The processor takes the full range input from the deck then splits the signals at the ms8 then to the bc.
Hope that makes sense.

trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Okay moving slowly but surely... here's what I've come up with so far, ignore the labels as they are not correct (you can mount it either way as long as you got clearance)..the level will be on the right and the fhz pot on the right.

The aluminum is 1" x 1.5" x 2 3/4" long, it will be up to you guys on what you want to use for a control panel (ask weaklink for details) but if you want the aluminum control panel like mine I could cut you one and mount the board on it as I did on mine and if you want an LPL I can move the pcb to allow room for the LPL knob.

Now for those who want the original "push pull" switch pot, it will have to be mounted on a/the panel in order to make it fit, I have to lay it side ways because the pins are too big and wide for the prototype pcb am using. In other words that pot will be loose with 22g wiring between the prototype board and pot.

Here it is completed....now time to test it.

BTW if you dont like the idea of having a large knob for the fhz, I can use a smaller pot with the allen insert (like the original) instead and include the shaft which is removable. Just need to know ahead of time before I start making them.
Weaklink

Post by Weaklink »

Looks great so far to fill a need. Also looks like you got this all on lockdown. when can I order one from you? Then I can see what I can come up with for some cool mounting ideas.
2008 toy tundra
Kenwood dnx-9980hd
Hertz hi energy 3-way
Hertz hi energy coax
M50 ser# M500001
M25 ser#M2500001
Outlaw x3
Bandit x4
Route 66 x2
M100x3
M44x2
M50 x4
M25 x5
Powercore 15
Ti Basscube
And other goodies
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

If testing goes well (it should as i followed the diagrams provided by jason?)...I redesigned the layout to make it easier on me (only had to use ONE jumper...all of the traces are underneath).

The only question/issue would be the need of the "push pull" switch pot....that thing is huge compare to the rotary switch pot am using...then the other issue would be if the folks want the smaller knob/pot for the fhz....like the original one. It will matter to you if your going to make the mount/control panels.

If I make all the same then i won't have to worry about making any changes to the pots..just don't know if everyone will be happy.
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

You'll drive yourself crazy trying to please everyone, lol.

I never understood the point of an on/off. What I did like about the push/pull was people couldn't crank up the bass if they didn't know how to turn it on, they would crank it up & down & give up when nothing changed.
I tried the same on/off pot you have there, and there is no difference between turned all the way down & off, so I eliminated that feature & instead used a dual gang pot to adjust the level of the LED based on bass setting. (Cranked BC = bright LEDS)
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Lol, like the idea of the brightness of the LED's controlled by the level pot's second gang. Now I see why yours is so small (can't see the board from the pic you included, so no telling how long it is but sure doesn't look long).

Well for those that want an LPL added to the mix, I might just include it with the RJ11 female jack already wired on so the pot can be mounted anywhere (next to the BC controls if wanted)...

IF YOU WANT TO BE ADDED TO THE LIST for the BC remotes please PM me so I can make sure I make one for you. They will be 25.00 each (will not include any cords, or the mounting panel....for push/pull switch pot add 5.00).
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

You can't see the board behind the mount because it is literally that small, the resisters are on the board between the pots & below the LEDs, and the rj11 plug hangs off the back.
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

I could trim a lot off that pcb board....and use those pieces for the LPL's SWEET.

I finished testing it (oscilloscope, haven't listen to it)...What I did notice is that in order to take effect level knob nearly has to be on half position (makes me wonder if its actually an audio taper pot instead of what others mentioned/linear). That mentioned my LED doesn't lite up until half way on the level then from there you can notice the LED get brighter as the level goes up and so does the ENHANCEMENT EFFECT!!!

I will do further testings and actually listen to it, from the looks of the scope it SHOULD BE NOTICEABLE......BIG TIME!!!

Also as audiophyle mentioned, I dont even believe the switch is necessary because once set low the thing is the same as the enhancement been shut off. So am thinking of going with regular pots with single gang....don't really need one for the LED as it lights up with the level pot already.