"The One"

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
kg1961
Got wood?

Re:

Post by kg1961 »

Man I just want to say I seen this friday
The thing is huge and looks so nice!!!
Great work so far
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Drock

Re: "The One"

Post by Drock »

@virtue. Thanks. Ya I have a another thread on that. I don't currently have the terminals to complete this part of the build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re:

Post by ttocs »

are those adaptors made specifically to plug into the amp or where are they going? I am not sure what the advantage is other then for looks to run 2 - 0 awg runs into that adaptor but only one out?

never heard it called a split charge relay, is that a new term or just foreign?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
ttocs

Re: Re:

Post by ttocs »

dvnt88 wrote:
Drock wrote:I think I'm going to just order the adaptors.

Just ordered 2 sets of these yesterday :shock: , they look pretty trick and won't break the bank. :twisted:

http://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/ca ... audio.html
Are those made just for the amps?
Drock

Post by Drock »

I believe that's the idea. However, I'm wondering if they would work on pg amps. Notice the angle of the pg terminals, those adaptors might hit before the bottom of the amp. Hope that makes sense.

ttocs

Re:

Post by ttocs »

I don't really see the use of them. What are you going to gain running dual 0 awg only to be choked down to the same general thickness of the 0awg where it connects to the amp? On top of that I would have to have that bit old spark-maker sitting out waiting to be grounded out to the amp or what ever else around it.
diatribe

Re:

Post by diatribe »

I've always thought that as well. It seems as though It would be the weak link in the power chain and would be the limit of the amount of power of that the amp can take.

But a lot of people have tested this and it seems as though it does help in very high amperage pulling amplifiers.
zeropoint0.5

Re:

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

what really makes me curious about this amazing amp, is, how would it "sound" used at 4 ohm brigded ??

what is the damping factor ration of this amp ?? and how much current would it pull at 4 ohm brigded ??

in fact..... this amp is build for spl duties, but could u use it also in a SQ install, with way less current consumption

then class AB amps and still having a beautiful sound ??

I doubt someone has tried this already.......

Maybe Morgan can tell something more about this.......................

good luck with the install anyway.........................;;
Drock

Post by Drock »

I will be running the amp at 2ohms, and at 14-15v. Currently I don't have the 16v capabilities. So I'm hoping to get around 6-6k out of ea amp. Maybe more if they are strapped.

Pioneer avicz140bh
Sofas
The One.
Ti elite 1,5,6,9 components
Elite12d subs x6
Audison bit one.
2001 gmc Sierra 2500hd
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

zeropoint0.5 wrote:this amp is build for spl duties, but could u use it also in a SQ install, with way less current consumption
If you talk to the "die hard SQ people", they'll offhandedly dismiss the notion of having 2,500-3,000 watts on your subs as an SQ install, regardless of how good the amp is, or even how good it sounds. Sure, you could do it, and it would probably sound amazing, especially if paired with a pair of Elite.4's driving three way sets throughout the install, but SQ buffs would dismiss it because that's just how they are.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

Kirghiz wrote:
zeropoint0.5 wrote:this amp is build for spl duties, but could u use it also in a SQ install, with way less current consumption
If you talk to the "die hard SQ people", they'll offhandedly dismiss the notion of having 2,500-3,000 watts on your subs as an SQ install, regardless of how good the amp is, or even how good it sounds. Sure, you could do it, and it would probably sound amazing, especially if paired with a pair of Elite.4's driving three way sets throughout the install, but SQ buffs would dismiss it because that's just how they are.
i personally heard a RF T4000.1bd on 2 jl13W7 in a vented enclosure at 1.5ohms and it sound amazing......

although i preferred the sound of a zpa0.5 and even more a Original ms2250 X2, so each on one sub,

i would love to make one day the comparision with "the one"....... heat issues and current consumption at a

higher load of 2, 4 or even 6 ohms and having there a higher damping factor........and the amp wouldn't have

to work hard even at full power;.......

who knows, one day i would maybe buy "the one" if i had the chance.........
Drock

Post by Drock »

Guess I'll find out soon.

Pioneer avicz140bh
Sofas
The One.
Elite12d subs x6
Audison bit one.
2001 gmc Sierra 2500hd
doeboi_79

Re:

Post by doeboi_79 »

Drock wrote:I will be running the amp at 2ohms, and at 14-15v. Currently I don't have the 16v capabilities. So I'm hoping to get around 6-6k out of ea amp. Maybe more if they are strapped.

Pioneer avicz140bh
Sofas
The One.
Elite12d subs x6
Audison bit one.
2001 gmc Sierra 2500hd

If you run two strapped then the lowest you would want to run them is at 2 ohms . At witch time you should be getting close to 20k watts.
93 Chevy Astro , 300amp alt, 4 kinetik 2400's ,2 run's 0
Deck = Kenwood KDC-X493, w/remote. it work's
speakers = Alpine , 5 1/4 dash , 6x9's custom box between seats.
Amplifier = PHOENIX GOLDS THE ONE #35 , my precious (hehe)
The nail = Two, Audio Q HDC3 18"s
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

ttocs wrote:I don't really see the use of them. What are you going to gain running dual 0 awg only to be choked down to the same general thickness of the 0awg where it connects to the amp? On top of that I would have to have that bit old spark-maker sitting out waiting to be grounded out to the amp or what ever else around it.
The gain would be that you could run two 1/0 wires from the battery to amp into an amp that only had one 1/0 terminal and get more current capabilities to your amplifier. It's the same concept as a fuse. Look how small the cross sectional area of a fuse is, yet over such a short length, it really does not have a large impact on how much current can pass through it and down the power wire.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

dwnrodeo wrote:
ttocs wrote:I don't really see the use of them. What are you going to gain running dual 0 awg only to be choked down to the same general thickness of the 0awg where it connects to the amp? On top of that I would have to have that bit old spark-maker sitting out waiting to be grounded out to the amp or what ever else around it.
The gain would be that you could run two 1/0 wires from the battery to amp into an amp that only had one 1/0 terminal and get more current capabilities to your amplifier. It's the same concept as a fuse. Look how small the cross sectional area of a fuse is, yet over such a short length, it really does not have a large impact on how much current can pass through it and down the power wire.

so you have a 4" pipe feeding water into a tank at the max level the pipe can handle. Now run a 2nd 4" pipe but where the original pipe ends put a "T" or a "Y" joint on it but keep a 4" outlet on the joint and your not going to get any more water from the pipe then the original 4" would allow because it still has the same size choke point. Now take into account that if this did work that you would also need 2 - 0 awg grounds to upgrade the stock grounds or again, there is a choke point at the ground.
Drock

Post by Drock »

This is confusing. I learned how power flows pretty much exactly how Scott has explained.
But dwnrodeo has a good point about the fuses.

Pioneer avicz140bh
Sofas
The One.
Elite12d subs x6
Audison bit one.
2001 gmc Sierra 2500hd
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

ttocs wrote:
dwnrodeo wrote:

so you have a 4" pipe feeding water into a tank at the max level the pipe can handle. Now run a 2nd 4" pipe but where the original pipe ends put a "T" or a "Y" joint on it but keep a 4" outlet on the joint and your not going to get any more water from the pipe then the original 4" would allow because it still has the same size choke point. Now take into account that if this did work that you would also need 2 - 0 awg grounds to upgrade the stock grounds or again, there is a choke point at the ground.
Your assumptions are not exactly correct. Flow (Q) = Velocity * Area. If you reduce the area of the pipe (two 4" pipes to one 4" pipe) you will reduce the flow to a small degree, but it will be nearly the same flow at a higher velocity. Think of it as a pressure washer. The flow out of the nozzle is much higher in velocity than the flow into the nozzle but the flow rates will be similar. Losses in pipelines are separated into two categories, major losses and minor losses. Major losses are due to fricion losses along the length of the pipe and are the largest contributers to reduction in flow. Minor losses are due to bends, fittings, valves, entrance losses, exit losses, etc... and although they do contribute to some degree in the energy losses in a pipe network, they are much smaller than the friction losses along a length of pipe. There are several equations that calculate friction losses in pipes (Darcy-Weisbach, Hazen-Williams) and the length of the pipe has a greater effect on the losses in a pipeline than the cross sectional area. In my job (civil engineer) I deal with multiple pipe networks and I have multiple examples of where piping diameter is significantly reduced for a short length for booster pumps, water meters, etc... but it has no significant effect on flow restriction.

Now I am not an electrical engineer nor am I familiar with the equations regarding current flow, but I apply these same principles to the flow of current through a wire. You are correct in assuming that the ground would also need to support that amount of current flow, but typical grounds are shorter in length if they are attaching to the vehicle chassis. If you ran your grounds to the battery, then yes, you would then need two 1/0 runs of ground to the battery as well to support the current flow.

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
ttocs

Re:

Post by ttocs »

thanks for the water lesson it seems like you know what your talking about. How much more capacity do you add then with two runs of pipe exiting through a single 4" nozzle? I could see adding the 2nd run or wire helping to add a few amps on top of the single run but its certainly not going to double the capacity and I am just curious if its worth the work for a 2nd run or again just for looks.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

ttocs wrote:thanks for the water lesson it seems like you know what your talking about. How much more capacity do you add then with two runs of pipe exiting through a single 4" nozzle? I could see adding the 2nd run or wire helping to add a few amps on top of the single run but its certainly not going to double the capacity and I am just curious if its worth the work for a 2nd run or again just for looks.
If velocity is held constant, all other conditions are the same and dismissing losses, Flow (Q) = Velocity * Area, therefore doubling the area effectively doubles the amount of flow. Again, this is water, not sure about electricity.

ttocs

Re:

Post by ttocs »

by area I assumed you mean the area of the nozzle/output of the two pipes?
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

ttocs wrote:by area I assumed you mean the area of the nozzle/output of the two pipes?
No, the area of the two pipes in parallel. If you had two pipes running parallel instead of one, it would provide double the flow capacity (assuming velocity remains constant).

ttocs

Re:

Post by ttocs »

oh see I would have thought that the nozzle/output size would have restricted the water at some point?
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

ttocs wrote:oh see I would have thought that the nozzle/output size would have restricted the water at some point?
It will obviously, a really small nozzle output size will restrict flow. Friction becomes a large factor when you restrict the flow to a large degree (really small nozzle/output size). But in your example of two 4" pipes reducing into one 4" pipe, over such a short distance the effects of friction due to major losses in the pipe is negligible because the length of pipe is so short. Darcy-Weisbach formula for major losses (Hf) = f*(L/D)*(V^2/2*g). Where f = friction factor, L = length of pipe, D = diameter of pipe, v = velocity of the fluid and g = gravitational acceleration. As length L approaches 0, so does the headloss Hf. Now, for minor losses, there are various coefficients to determine the effects of friction for certain diameter ratio transitions. Those will reduce the flow to a degree, but for your transition example of two 4" pipes into one 4" pipe, the reduction in flow would be very low. Just as two 1/0 gauge inputs into 1/0 gauge terminal would be quite low given the short length of the transistion. I hope this helps.

ttocs

Re:

Post by ttocs »

so thinking about this deeper as more water is fed out of the 4" end obviously the velocity/pressure on the outlet would go up right? I would assume we could compare this to the current going through the wires until we consider the effects of the two. As the pressure would go up on the 4" outlet since its water I would assume that heat would not be an issue where it would on the wire/electrons as current increases?
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

ttocs wrote:so thinking about this deeper as more water is fed out of the 4" end obviously the velocity/pressure on the outlet would go up right? I would assume we could compare this to the current going through the wires until we consider the effects of the two. As the pressure would go up on the 4" outlet since its water I would assume that heat would not be an issue where it would on the wire/electrons as current increases?
It's counterintuitive, but as velocity increases at the outlet, pressure decreases.

If there were more pressure on the outlet side, then the flow would be reversed. Flow always travels from high to low pressure.