How to repair a rubber speaker surround?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
vwdude

How to repair a rubber speaker surround?

Post by vwdude »

I bought a pair of Dynaudio speakers and one of them has a small rip in the surround. They don't make replacement surrounds for these speakers so I need to repair it. What kind of glue or epoxy works best? It needs to be flexible enough to not hinder the movement but still needs to seal it up. I don't want to gum it up with silicone unless you guys have used it and can verify that it's the best solution.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Re: How to repair a rubber speaker surround?

Post by Bfowler »

id like to know this too! i have some polk coaxes and all of them have the surround coming off around the edges
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

There are flexible glues which are just for this purpose. I have used them before, but regrettably I have no idea what they are exactly or who makes them.

Some digging on the web may help you find them.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
Weaklink

Post by Weaklink »

Back in the day we used clear fingernail polish. Stays flexible and it's light. I'm sure there are better options nowadays.
2008 toy tundra
Kenwood dnx-9980hd
Hertz hi energy 3-way
Hertz hi energy coax
M50 ser# M500001
M25 ser#M2500001
Outlaw x3
Bandit x4
Route 66 x2
M100x3
M44x2
M50 x4
M25 x5
Powercore 15
Ti Basscube
And other goodies
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

I searched eBay but I mostly found glues meant to be used when replacing the surround. What makes it tough is the rubber that Dynaudio uses is extremely thin, so it would end to be a superglue type of density, but needs to dry as be flexible.

Weaklink, that's an interesting idea. I'll keep it in mind if i don't get any other ideas.
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

In the past I have used black silicone and I cut some heat shrink in half that matches the curvature of the surround. I then glued it on the back side of the original torn surround. So you can't really see it from the top, unless you look at it from the back side of the speaker. It works well and it moves quite well with the cone movement.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

That's a really good idea. Obviously I would a very small amount of black silicone. Thank you for that info.
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Using a little on both sides?

I found out yesterday that my subwoofer cone's cracked (freaking tools).... its not that bad, about 3/4" long, shaped like an "L" . Am thinking about adding either some epoxy or silicon on the rear side of the cone. May be even a little dab of clear silicon one the front.... its impossible to tell if its leaking due to being in a ported box.
wash with gasoline

Post by wash with gasoline »

I have had luck in the past with black silicone (beater work trucks ect)
Smeared it on front and back of rip so the silicone can actually go threw the damage and glue it threw the middle also. Make it thin and spread it away from the damage a inch or so. Let it dry a few days before use. Had them last years this way.
Never tried it on anything nice though...
dry with match
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

are they that different that there isn't a replacement that is close enough to work? I would be more inclined to replace the surround with the closest similar piece I could find then to make a Band-Aid repair like this on a nice speaker...
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

ttocs wrote:are they that different that there isn't a replacement that is close enough to work? I would be more inclined to replace the surround with the closest similar piece I could find then to make a Band-Aid repair like this on a nice speaker...
The surround is just one of the many elements which determine how a speaker will sound. Its weight, its flexibility, and its shape all contribute to the final sound of a speaker. Replacing it with a non OEM one would likely result in a totally different sound from the driver. Even a patch repair on it will affect it, but probably not nearly as much as a complete replacement of it.
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Eric D wrote:
ttocs wrote:are they that different that there isn't a replacement that is close enough to work? I would be more inclined to replace the surround with the closest similar piece I could find then to make a Band-Aid repair like this on a nice speaker...
The surround is just one of the many elements which determine how a speaker will sound. Its weight, its flexibility, and its shape all contribute to the final sound of a speaker. Replacing it with a non OEM one would likely result in a totally different sound from the driver. Even a patch repair on it will affect it, but probably not nearly as much as a complete replacement of it.
This.

In all honesty, I looked for a close replacement but they don't offer it, and nobody makes one for this specific speaker. This is why I am looking for the best way to repair it. I could have just used a glob of silicone, but I wanted to learn about different techniques, which is what I am seeing, so thanks everyone for the input.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Have you tried contacting Dynaudio about it?

I don't know if they would help or not, but let's face it, Dynaudio is a pretty high end audio manufacturer. I am confident they would be very helpful. They might either suggest a specific glue to use, give you the option to purchase a new surround, or quote you a repair price on the driver (which might not be all that bad, as soft parts are generally cheap, it is the hard parts which contribute most to the cost of a driver).
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I would replace both surrounds even if the other didn't need it to minimize differences in the two. I think just trying to put a band aid on it like that will only lead to a bigger failure around the surround where it was repaired. Is it an odd size/shape or something else that makes it hard to find something that would work?
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

I agree, it think that Eric's last suggestion makes the most sense. It doesn't cost anything to inquire, but if I try to fix it and screw it up they might not be wiling to work with me then.

Worst case scenario I buy just one replacement woofer as one that I have is good still.

It all goes back to my original purpose for this thread, to see if there's a proper way to do the repair. I know how to repair electronics, this is something that I know very little about fixing though.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

You pretty much can't replace a whole surround at home anyway.

When building a speaker, a shim is placed between the pole of the motor and the voice coil. Once the spider and surround are glued, this shim is removed and then the dust cap goes on last. If you remove the whole surround, you would never be able to keep the coil centered when you try to glue a new one back on.

That being said, I don't know how Dynaudio builds their speakers in the first place. I am pretty sure the dust cap is molded to the cone in one piece. If the driver has dual spiders, with a spacing, they may glue them, and then remove the shim, then glue on the cone and make the final glue joint between the cone and coil in those slots you can see around the dust cap. I am just speculating though. If true, you might actually be able to replace a surround at home on this type of driver.
quickrip

Post by quickrip »

I just repaired an alpine type r 15 with black weatherstripping glue from an auto parts store. worked very well. strong hold, made to take abuse, and flexible. Found this to be a better option than silicones which I've used in the past.
Collection:
PG- m100
ms2125 (with shroud) ms275 ms250
zpa0.5
Xvr-2 crossover
bass cube (x3) & OG Elite 12D (x2)
Sony- xes-M3(x3) xes-M1 xm-7557
Diamond audio- d7104 d7056 d7402
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

quickrip wrote:I just repaired an alpine type r 15 with black weatherstripping glue from an auto parts store. worked very well. strong hold, made to take abuse, and flexible. Found this to be a better option than silicones which I've used in the past.
For a subwoofer surround I'm sure that works well but the surround for this 6.5" mid is very thin and I'm just worried about effecting the speaker response.

I think step one is to see if Dynaudio will/can repair it. I have read something from Dynaudio that their speakers are not repairable because every one of them is hand made and it's not possible to replace just the surround. I'll contact them and ask anyways.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Any speaker can be repaired, it is just a matter of if it is cost effective or not. When repairing a speaker, all the soft parts are removed and replaced. This would be the cone, spider, surround, voice coil, dustcap, and wire leads. Back when I used to work for Rockford Fosgate, we would cut out repairs at a certain size (I think 8in). Anything smaller would just be replaced instead of being repaired. Often this means the customer got a new model speaker, which would then not match their other speakers...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Eric D wrote:Any speaker can be repaired, it is just a matter of if it is cost effective or not. When repairing a speaker, all the soft parts are removed and replaced. This would be the cone, spider, surround, voice coil, dustcap, and wire leads. Back when I used to work for Rockford Fosgate, we would cut out repairs at a certain size (I think 8in). Anything smaller would just be replaced instead of being repaired. Often this means the customer got a new model speaker, which would then not match their other speakers...
I thought the same thing which is why I was confused 2 posts above when you said that a surround can't be replace?
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

It is all or none, not just one part. The surround is glued to the cone, and removing it will damage the cone, plus result in a misaligned voice coil.

To repair (or rebuild depending how you look at it), you take a knife and cut around the surround, then reach down in and cut around the spider. The coil, cone, and spider now come out. You then grind off the remaining surround and glue, and spider and glue, down to a clean basket surface. We had a rotating jig for this grinding process at Rockford to make things faster.

Now you start over with the soft parts. First a spider with attached coil goes in place using a shim. Next the cone is glued onto the basket, (the cone comes with surround pre-glued). You then solder the lead wires, and glue the cone to the voice coil former. Lastly the dust cap goes on and the speaker is done.

I know some places sell replacement surrounds, but from experience I can tell you it is next to impossible to keep everything aligned when just replacing the surround.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

myself and my friends have replace I think 6 or 8 surrounds from everything from old advent 12" woofers to alpine mids and I can't say I have ever finished up and found they sounded worse then when I started. Sure in a perfect world do the spider and everything inside but in this case when its just repairing a ported surround I think it would be a bit of overkill to go through all that and still too nice of a speaker to put a dab of silicone on it and wait for its pending demise. Depending on the speaker you might damage the cone a bit but I can only think of one(the old advent) that once I got the surround started didn't just pull it off and leave the speaker intake. We would glue it to the speaker first and then with some careful measurements and a bean bag in the center of the cone to push it down to make contact with the basket to stick. I know its not perfect but I would do that over just trying to repair the surround myself. Between the movement of the surround and if its in any kind of enclosure building pressure the surround repair is just going to fail sooner then later where as if you did well on the surround you will probably not think about it ever again.