HO alt with offboard regulator wiring?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

HO alt with offboard regulator wiring?

Post by ttocs »

I am doing the wiring on my PG powerflow alt with a Balmar ARS5 voltage regulator. The wiring seems pretty straight forward except the charge light? I looked all through my mustangs OEM wiring bible but can't seem to find anything about it. Does that mean the car doesn't have one?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
ttocs

Re: HO alt with offboard regulator wiring?

Post by ttocs »

of course after going through the beginning to try and find it I can't find anything. But 2 mins after I start letting pages randomly pass through my thumb BAM there it is in front of me, 510 ohms...

Ok so next question is that it says the battery sensing wire when used with a dual battery system needs to be connected on the starter battery post of the isolator. I already have a sensing circuit that activates the isolator to balance the voltage as needed, so would it be ok just to put it on the + post of the alt as though it were a regular 1 battery system?
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

Yes that is correct. Put it on the alternator side or the main power side. Obviously if you are using an isolator, which ever side it is connected to, that will be the voltage shown on the meter. So, if one battery drops in voltage because of drain, and that is the side you picked for the meter wire to be connected to, that will be the voltage the meter would be showing. You don't want this, you want to know what the alternator is putting out as a whole. Make sense?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

excellent. Just ordered a 7" x 4" piece of 1/4" steel to cut the new upper mounting bracket for the alt and arranged to go to a friend of my pop's too use his band saw to cut it. He also has a milling machine which could get interesting. my dad actually went too school for tool and die and then somehow ended up in radiation physics, go figure right? But anyway we are hoping he will let him use it to not only make a really nice piece but also show a little of what he went too school for.
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

That is a killer alternator. I would be proud to own one in such good shape.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I would have to say I am pretty proud of it myself. I had to make a new bracket to mount it, as well as buy a bigger hood to fit it.
And with that idea I figured if yer gonna replace the hood, replace the hood. So I ordered a carbon fiber cobra R hood to give some clearance and style.
I am going to be either POR15 gloss black or possibly powdered but either way the PG tag on top will be saved.

I think it will look cool in black. I am going to paint/powder the fan as well, and then sand the paint off of the edges to expose the raw aluminum. While its taken apart for cleaning I will freshen up anything needed internally but I don't think it was used much if at all.
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

In the late 90s I rember several people who had one. I hallways wanted one but thaught I would buy one later or find a deal on one later because of the high cost but it never happened. Now I have not seen one in years except for yours. Buitiful. I know you are into costimizing but think I would leave that rare thing all original as much as I could. Buy the way nice build on the stang.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

how much were they originally out of curiosity? I think I picked it up a couple of years ago for around $200. I am going with the black/polished look under the hood would it still be sacrilegious to polish it? I considered it but figured that the badge would be lost either trying to remove it or with all the rubbing around it and that just would not do...
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I do don't rember the original cost. Only that It was quite a bit at that time and I was string to spend where I needed to the monastic. Back then there was a local guy who could take your stock alt and preform a miracle beefing cleaning and rebuilding it at an unbeleavable low price. Cosmetics are second to performance to me although I take good care of my equipment and prefer it in mint condition. What ever you do it will still be a great piece.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I had not thought about the original price only because it was something I could have never have afforded when it was new and I had no need for it then either. Just picked up a 4"-7" piece of 1/4" steel to make the upper bracket out of.