sd800.5 cycle failure

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
thall.pdx

sd800.5 cycle failure

Post by thall.pdx »

I bought a used PG sd800.5 amp thinking the person was shooting me straight. I finally got a chance to hook up the amp and I am having issues.

When it powers on, the is a blip of sound that comes out of the channels I have hooked up, less than a second. The internal as well as external power light come on. Without going to protect mode the amp shuts off. It will do this cycle every 15 seconds or so.

I have 14.3 volts between bat and ground terminal at the amp. And 13.7 volts on the remote feed power at the amp. Is there anything I can do for this, or do I have a small paper weight?

I am unsure if sending it in for out of warranty repair is worth the $125 for the service.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Re: sd800.5 cycle failure

Post by Rold Gold »

Does it fail without a load on the channel? I thinks ya might have a blown channel.
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
thall.pdx

Post by thall.pdx »

So I just unhooked the loads i had hooked up.

Amp Turns on, direct to one flash of the protect light with no power light, then starts cycling through on and off (external and internal light flash on, and fade off). All of this with 14.3 volts between the power terminals at the amp.

Swapped out the fuses and did the same thing.

I am assuming toasted.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

Kinda sounds like there might be a trip to the repair shop in the near future for it....... Let me know if you don't plan to fix it
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
thall.pdx

Post by thall.pdx »

It's listed on eBay now if you are interested.