any idea where I can get one of these?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

any idea where I can get one of these?

Post by ttocs »

I am almost to the point I am ready to put the motor back in and I am now separating things to be either polished or powdered gloss black. The alt falls into one of these two(probably both, the body and back of the fan black and the front of the fan polished) but that could not even be considered if the decal could not be saved or else reprinted to match. Anyone have a place that could make one of these?

Last edited by ttocs on Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Drock

Re: any idea where I can get one of these?

Post by Drock »

Nice Scott, I love seeing that alt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hardcoredore

Post by hardcoredore »

I never realized pg made HO Alternators. I did have some great solid copper power wire from them back in the day though.
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

I think i have one flying around in my basement. The first item i bought from Matt back in the day. Will post pictures tonight if i´m able to dig it out.
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

hardcoredore wrote:I never realized pg made HO Alternators. I did have some great solid copper power wire from them back in the day though.
well technically they didn't make them. They were made by wrangler for pg but they are a big or bad boy with an off board voltage regulator that I will be using a balmar marine regulator to maximize my agm batteries.
hardcoredore

Post by hardcoredore »

Are you building a mobile tig welding rig or what? [emoji6]
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

you think so looking at the outside wait till you see the guts..... After some thought I realized that they should be able to mask around the decal to powder it and then they can even clear over it to protect it. Its a stamped piece of foil and its mounted to the alt so it should not have any issues with heat, after a quick call to confirm it I decided to take it apart too get it ready. Here are the pics of the disassembly and the guts holy hell this thing is beefy inside. Found my camera :)
and now it gets interesting I need to look back as they did it all in just a flash, but imagine this turning and all lit up, isn't this the core of the deathstar that Luke Skywalker shot into to blow it up?
Flipped it over and pulled it apart and its all business. There is No voltage regulator inside....
it was at this point that I said oh hell I will take it into that small alt shop in the next town over to be sure its taken apart correctly(will be taking more pics).
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

after some thought I went ahead and took it apart the rest of the way myself.

I also started polishing the fan. I think the combination of the black body with a nicely polished fan will look nice.
phoenix_rising

Post by phoenix_rising »

I'v got one of those! 240 amp i believe... Didnt come with the Voltage Regulator though... Did some model s have it built it? Would it be useable without?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

you can get off board regulators no problem. I figured out a way to mount the fan to my drill to make polishing it easier, wish they were all that easy... I just did a quick job last night(took 15 mins) and will probably do another run from 1k grit up to get it perfect but I think you get the idea on the fan. The edges of the fins will also be polished but the back side with the fins is going to be powdered along with the alt body. With the vortech kit now this sits right on top next too the supercharger and the electric water pump that are also polished, just in front of the intake(also polished) so idunno I hope the mix of powder on it will help to set it all off.

I have some old school PG decals and I am half tempted to put one on the fan facing forward now or maybe etch the PG logo on the polished surface. Any opinions?
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

The heat from the engine bay would tare any decal apart. Etch would be the best option, use the PG squiggly logo.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY_mDVYrhno#t=70[/youtube]
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I didn't think this had a regulator built into it either until I got it apart.
phoenix_rising

Post by phoenix_rising »

So mine could have an internal regulator or were they all external? info on these is scarce!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

your guess is as good as mine like you said I can't find any info on them. Your the only other person I know that says he has one. Now I could see the aluminum plate with the diodes in it through the back so you might be able too as well.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I went to get the bearings pressed out today and hit up my local alt shop to ask. That isn't the regulator its the rectifier and yes we do still need off board regulation. Thankfully since I have one waiting and already wired up...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Dropped all my stuff off at the powder coater today and when he looked at the decal he said it was not going to make it through the heat. We pulled it off as best we can but I will be in need to make another if anyone knows of a sign/decal place. I am going to try some local placed but I find for almost anything different like this that this crappy little town doesn't have much of a selection.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

found one place that says that they could do it but it has an $87 minimum.... I know I was gonna have my ass taxed for a custom one-off sticker but that is a bit more then I was considering. Picked it up from powder and I almost have it all back together now. Looks killer now just need this last detail...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I will be powdering the pulley in the next round of powder as well but with this sucker up on top of the motor between the polished supercharger and the polished water pump should look perty. Now I just need to recreate that decal.....
oilworker

Post by oilworker »

Looks good. Your attention to detail on your car is top notch. You have way more patience than I do.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I think I found someone that can make the decal but does anyone here have that PG logo already in a jpg or some other form that would make it easy to transfer?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

again is there anyone that has that logo in vector form or even in a good jpg? I had a link to it before and of course now I can't find it.
Weaklink

Post by Weaklink »

This might sound odd but have you tried to contact wrangler to see if they still have the vector file?
2008 toy tundra
Kenwood dnx-9980hd
Hertz hi energy 3-way
Hertz hi energy coax
M50 ser# M500001
M25 ser#M2500001
Outlaw x3
Bandit x4
Route 66 x2
M100x3
M44x2
M50 x4
M25 x5
Powercore 15
Ti Basscube
And other goodies
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

did they have vector files back in the 90s when this was made? There are other logos that I would probably use before trying to cold-call wranglers 800 number to see if they even remember pg let alone had the file. But if I could I would like to use the same logo. I am hoping to have a polished aluminum badge made with the same serial number and everything on it either in black or etched onto it to make a frosted effect. I think it would look really nice and draw some attention since the alt is up high and in front of the motor. Hell I had to get a different hood because of it...
Weaklink

Post by Weaklink »

What's the lenth x width of the plaque. I might be able to make something happen.
2008 toy tundra
Kenwood dnx-9980hd
Hertz hi energy 3-way
Hertz hi energy coax
M50 ser# M500001
M25 ser#M2500001
Outlaw x3
Bandit x4
Route 66 x2
M100x3
M44x2
M50 x4
M25 x5
Powercore 15
Ti Basscube
And other goodies
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

4" x 1.25"

My brother can make a vector file of the whole thing fairly easily if I can find a logo file either in jpg or vector for him to use.