Bass Cube problem

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
oilworker

Bass Cube problem

Post by oilworker »

I was finally able to install my bass cube after having it sit many years on the shelf since I got my new knobs from Trickyricky. Power light on the bass cube is on. Light on the knob comes on when I turn the knob on. The signal is passing through the bass cube fine as my subs play fine. The issue is when I turn the knobs, it does not do anything. It doesn't matter if I turn the knob completely off, all the way up, adjust the frequency, nothing. It seems as if the signal is just passing through the bass cube unchanged.
trickyricky

Re: Bass Cube problem

Post by trickyricky »

If the LED on both the bass cube and remote are on and your getting signal through then more than likely your bass cube is functioning as far as the power supply.

Have you taken the cover off from the bass cube? There is a two pots inside the one with a long shaft (this is a controls the enhancement level) the other small with the yellow knob (very small, controls the subsonic fhz). Check the pot with the long shaft to see if its set at +15db or +3db....if it's on 3db then you might not be getting the bass enhancement you expect, but both BC's I have had the pot set at +15db. Even 3db should make a good difference.

Try using a 60 through 100 hz sine wave (at low volumes of course) and then slowly increase the level on the controller...notice any boost? No, then slowly adjust the fhz towards mid point. Any difference? You might have the subsonic fhz set pretty high on the BC, make sure to check it.

PM'ed you.
wooferdog

Post by wooferdog »

Make sure you have the correct 4 conductor cable.
Phoenix Gold,Don't Leave Home Without It !!!
oilworker

Post by oilworker »

I do have the 4 conductor cable. I just bought it a few months ago. I have another bass cube, knob, cable, etc. Tomorrow evening I am going to swap one part at a time to figure out where the problem is. I did check the internal settings as well to make sure they weren't way off. Even only a 3 dB gain though would be noticeable. I will update when I figure it out.
oilworker

Post by oilworker »

So I kind of figured it out. I assumed that the inside knob to adjust the max gain was +3dB all the way to the left and up to +15dB all the way clockwise. I had it backwards amd turned it all the way counter clockwise for a 15dB gain and it definitely makes a difference now. I just can't believe it wasn't noticeable with a 3 dB gain. I have put these in customers cars and set them to the minimum setting (around 15 years ago) and it was still noticeable. I plan to switch out amps soon amd now curious to see if that will change things. Right now it is a Memphis Belle running everything. Swapping it out for an Outlaw:)
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I thought with the gain nob down that it was at nearly 0?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
oilworker

Post by oilworker »

The info i found says it is a 3 db gain but it didnt sound like it to me so you may be right.
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

When I tested them (with two bass cubes as well) I notice NO enhancement with the "REMOTE" level all the way down (counterclockwise) or off....the BC's level doesn't matter here, it can be at +15db.

For example if you had the BC unit's level set at +15db and have the remote completely off (or counterclockwise) I didn't notice any effect whatsoever. The input signal goes through the BC without any bass enhancement. A lot of it has to do with where the subsonic fhz is set on the the BassCube and your amp as well as what fhz the remote is set at.

If you have the remote set at a fhz where your subsonic filter is higher then you will not notice any enhancement at all as most of it is being cut off by the BC or your amp's subsonic filter.
oilworker

Post by oilworker »

Sorry guys I guess I didn't word that clearly. The internal control to set max gain at +3 to +15 dB. That was turned full clockwise at the minimum +3 dB setting. With the control knob in the dash even all the way up there was no difference. Internal adjustment for subsonic filter is all the way down and it is set to "fixed".
This morning I swapped out amplifiers and there is a noticeable difference even with the internal max gain set all the way to the minimum +3dB setting. I put an M100 on the subs now. Night and day difference in sound quality between the amplifiers. Old school PG > Memphis. That is no surprise.
ByBlaZeD

Post by ByBlaZeD »

wooferdog wrote:Make sure you have the correct 4 conductor cable.
What is the "correct" cable? I am having some issues as well. Is it just a 2 line phone cord with all 4 conductors going to the same contact on each connector? Just curious if there may be something special about it? Thanks
PG Collection in the making:
2 - ZX400ti
1 - X600.1
2 - X100.4
1 - Ti2500.1
1 - Ti800.4
1 - XS2300
1 - Sapphire SA3.0X
1 - XS124
1 - White Bass CUBE
1 - Black Bass CUBE
2 - TLD66
1 - XSC10
3 - LPL44
1 - BLK RMD
1 - RMD (New Style)
Fused Distro's
Non-Fused Distro's
RCA's

Non-PG.....
1 - JL e4300
1 - JL JX500/1
1 - RF Punch 200aIV
1 - RF Punch 250m
2 - RF P2D2-12
1 - RF P165-S (Locked up woofer after 6 months!! Stay Away LOL)
1 - MTX Thunder 2150X
1 - SS Reference 414s
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

pretty sure it was a 4-conductor cable but if you look at the ends and see the colors of the wires in the plug on some if flips the wires and I think on the one we need it does not flip the wires. You basically need the cable on an old wired phone that went from the base of the phone, to the headset that you had to hold. Not the wire that went from the wall to the base.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
wooferdog

Post by wooferdog »

The bottom post in the link below shows the way the wires should be.
http://www.phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic. ... cube+cable
Phoenix Gold,Don't Leave Home Without It !!!
ByBlaZeD

Post by ByBlaZeD »

Thanks. I tired it a couple ways and figured it out. But that image is nice to have. I saved it in my archive lol. Thanks!
PG Collection in the making:
2 - ZX400ti
1 - X600.1
2 - X100.4
1 - Ti2500.1
1 - Ti800.4
1 - XS2300
1 - Sapphire SA3.0X
1 - XS124
1 - White Bass CUBE
1 - Black Bass CUBE
2 - TLD66
1 - XSC10
3 - LPL44
1 - BLK RMD
1 - RMD (New Style)
Fused Distro's
Non-Fused Distro's
RCA's

Non-PG.....
1 - JL e4300
1 - JL JX500/1
1 - RF Punch 200aIV
1 - RF Punch 250m
2 - RF P2D2-12
1 - RF P165-S (Locked up woofer after 6 months!! Stay Away LOL)
1 - MTX Thunder 2150X
1 - SS Reference 414s