Have Any Installers on the Phorum Worked on Wrx/Sti A-Pillar

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Phoenixcolt

Have Any Installers on the Phorum Worked on Wrx/Sti A-Pillar

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Sup guys, wondering if there was a reason why most Wrx/Sti owners mold the tweets into the a pillar versus hole saw, drop in, and secure from the back of the pillar?

I have a 13 Sti and my ID xs tweets just aren't going to fit into the sail panels. I was able to mod the RSd tweets into the sail panel but the ID's are huge by comparison.

I am pretty sure there is enough depth behind the pillars, and the pillars curve out toward the driver a bit, but maybe because it is so curvy, people almost have to mold or glass them in. After that they typically cover the pillars in vinyl.

Has anyone tried the drop in method? I can get a pic posted of the pillars later if that will help.
Rides History-www.cardomain.com/id/HotColt22

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Have Any Installers on the Phorum Worked on Wrx/Sti A-Pi

Post by ttocs »

I would guess that that if they are going through the trouble of making a pod that they are probably concerned with imaging/sq and are trying to aim them in a specific spot for the best sound.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

A lot of times they are mounting them off axis into the cabin, but in many cases it almost looks like they are just mouning them on axis and still building up of body filler behind a trim ring. It looks pretty, but if I can avoid the work, I would much rather drop them in. No one has responded on other forums so I figured I would see if anyone had experience with these cars here.

I will need to see how flat the mounting surface really is when I get a chance to dbl side tape a the tweets on the pillar. I also wonder if it has anything to do with the size of their tweets. The ID's are very wide, so I wonder if the broader mounting diameter would allow me to drop in or if I will indeed also need to glass/fill and vinyl.

Another option might be to mount the tweets in the oem kick panel where they could easily be flushed in, but I fear that mounting low and on axis will lower the soundstage a lot. Right now I have the Rsd's in the sail panels by my ears. And if I am going to consider oem kickpanel tweet installation, is it even worth it? I can mount the ID tweets on the ID midrange but would the tweets in the kicks push the stage forward enouh to make it worth the hacking?

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I have my tweets in my kicks and love them. My only complaint is when someone get in and blocks the path but otherwise it sounds great there. A-pillars normally just pull off if you want to check for space.
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Thanks ttocs.

You have them mounted in oem kicks, or glassed custom kicks? Also, off axis or on axis?

Do you mess around with the polarities having them down in the kicks to raise the stage?

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
Weaklink

Post by Weaklink »

I'm not 100% sure but I think the side curtain airbag cylinder might be there.
2008 toy tundra
Kenwood dnx-9980hd
Hertz hi energy 3-way
Hertz hi energy coax
M50 ser# M500001
M25 ser#M2500001
Outlaw x3
Bandit x4
Route 66 x2
M100x3
M44x2
M50 x4
M25 x5
Powercore 15
Ti Basscube
And other goodies
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I glassed my own kicks. I was running diamond audio hex 3-ways but I switching over to a Ti Elite 9-5-1 set up. The diamonds offered some tuning through the cross overs and I can't remember how the settings were on it but soundstage was wonderful again as long as a big-footed friend wasn't in the way.
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Took a couple pics. There is a good bevel on the trim on the window edge, but it is fairly flat before. Third pic is the back side of the pillar trim, I think I have close to as much depth as that clip mount for the tweet, maybe a bit less.

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

compustar
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

ttocs wrote:compustar
Haha, yup, love it. I have had that alarm transferred from my 09 Wrx to my 11 Wrx and finally to the 13 Sti.

My alarm installer never wants me to trade in another car again, he hated working on that Compustar : ).

I think I am going to dbl stick tape my new tweets to the kicks for a couple weeks when I get the chance to play with my car again, and later the a pillars. I will need some advice on how to adjust polarities to achieve different effects once I do so I hope you guys can help me again when I get to it!

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I have 2 compustar pro alarms, one was in my truck that I just pulled out this weekend and the other is still in my mustang. Now I have plenty of spare parts now if anything happens to the alarm in the mustang.

personally I am a fan of having all my speakers as close together as possible. It just makes it easier to tune imo.