Phoenix GOLD M25, Whats it worth?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
SundownSA89

Phoenix GOLD M25, Whats it worth?

Post by SundownSA89 »

I picked up a Phoenix GOLD M25 for 20$ at a pawn shop today that looks to be in good condition, and works great also. I know they are classic and had good sound quality but I have no clue what its worth. I took the top off to check the caps and they appear to have new ones in it. So any info on what it may be worth?
Attachments
7.jpg
6.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
oilworker

Re: Phoenix GOLD M25, Whats it worth?

Post by oilworker »

The caps look to be original so I'd recommend changing them.
It looks to be in decent condition. In my opinion, it's worth around $75-90.
M25 is an impressive amp for it's size.
Renovatio

Post by Renovatio »

to m25 is cheap to change caps to a very high quality, because there aren't many of them, like in m100, so if i would have m25 i would do it with no thinking.
Sounds like music...
SundownSA89

Post by SundownSA89 »

Wow they are in good condition for their age then, but I will deff order some and put in there ive done a few amps before, thanks for your input!
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Sweet deal....I remember picking up a minty LP DPS350 from a local pawn shop on christmas eve for 50.00 out the door...
Renovatio

Post by Renovatio »

anyway if you considered to change caps, what caps should i look for? I mean brands like Jensen, Mundorf, Audiotec, and etc. As i looked for a bit, some of thous caps can be quite expensive...what can you suggest?
Sounds like music...
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Because the capacitors are not in the signal path, and are only for 12V line stability, you don't need expensive audiophile ones. PG used Panasonic and Nichicon caps as OEM equipment in many of these older amps, so I see no reason not to stick with them for replacements.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

I use Panasonic FC series 16v 8200 uf caps. They are the same colors and size as the originals but have a much higher capacitance. That's for the power supply caps. The rail caps I've never changed on those amps, but if you plan to do those I would advise you take measurements of them and find snap in style caps with the same dimensions and voltage rating. Capacitance can be higher (and probably will be if you stick with the same size caps).
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.