Help with ideas for a center console build

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
CK1991

Help with ideas for a center console build

Post by CK1991 »

I am building a center console for my work van (95 astro) and am looking for ideas on how to make better use of the space I have in it. Basically, I have to contain an equalizer (pg 215ix), crossover (audiocontrol 4xs), 3 amps (since I don't have any spare 4 channels), and a subwoofer (IDQ 10 v1) which requires a. 75 to 1 cubic foot enclosure IIRC. My main issue is how to place 3 amps in a confined space and not have heat issues.

The footprint of the console will be 12 inches wide by 32 inches long. The top will be 2 tiered so that I can have an armrest. The front part of the console will be 17 inches tall and the back part will be 22 or 24 inches tall.

Also, does anyone have any ideas for distribution blocks ? I will need to run the amps, 2 processors (don't require much... 5 amps total max between the 2), and some interior lights (again, those don't require many amps).
Pioneer keh9595 + deh80prs, Phoenix Gold xs6600 PG M10p, and some randon speakers in a van
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Help with ideas for a center console build

Post by ttocs »

I modified an explorer consol in my ranger to fit a dist block, tuning controls and a 10" sub. If the amps are in a confined area be sure to allow some space on two sides to put a fan in so one blows in and the other sucks out. Try to leave some space around them for the air to go and as long as you are not jamming on them for long terms it should not be an issue. I am not going to have much space around my Elites and am planning on some fans to fix that. For sq I would try to face the sub towards the back if I could but if not then leave I would try a down firing woofer. PG's dist blocks is all that I use, I have 5 of them in the mustang actually. They are not cheap but worth it.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
CK1991

Post by CK1991 »

That's kinda what I was figuring as far as cooling. I will be making the console from scratch, so I am open for whatever design wise. I was figuring on a rear firing sub (my van doesn't have a dividing wall as it is a conversion with the back bench pulled.)

Also, given enough my amps pull a max of 80 amps, will I be able to get by with my stock 110 amp alternator? (I'm an Sq guy and dont play it that loud (usually mid to high 80 dbs according to the app on my phone).)
Pioneer keh9595 + deh80prs, Phoenix Gold xs6600 PG M10p, and some randon speakers in a van
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

if you don't have it cranked for long periods you should be fine.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.