Xmax surround replacement

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
gfunk_nz

Xmax surround replacement

Post by gfunk_nz »

I just received a load of goodies today, among the haul are a pair of xmax 10's that look like the surrounds have either been sitting with sun on one part or exposed to something nasty. They are both cracked in one section of each surround. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get the rubber surrounds. I see loads on ebay and will need to measure the surrounds up to see if th ebay ones will work, unless there are better options.
LowandLoud

Re: Xmax surround replacement

Post by LowandLoud »

I have never read anything about some one redoing an Xmax. Cant really call it re-foaming, lol.
I know PG never released any kits. I have no doubt there are soft parts out there that will work.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
gfunk_nz

Post by gfunk_nz »

Update to this for those that may be interested.
So after more hunting around I found a super helpful place in Australia called Queensland Speaker Repair. I gave them the dimensions as best as I could measure and they found the right surrounds. The surrounds and glue turned up today so currently I have the first 10" with it's new surround installed, the glue should be fully cured by the morning. I've had it running gently at 50hz to ensure it's all centred and it' great, no noises.
I did notice the same thing on this sub that all me Xmax subs have even the BNIB one, the spider seems to be slightly sagged, is this just an unfortunate thing that happens to them all or is it a fairly soft spider that looks that way with the weight of the cone and where the spider is glued in relation to the coil?
I suspect the reason the old surround was knackered was because of the 5 minute epoxy someone had glued the surround back down with in places, it was an absolute prick to remove!
I took a bunch of photo's of the process that I can chuck up here if anyone's interested.
gfunk_nz

Post by gfunk_nz »

To be honest though I looked at lots of places in the US, there was one that had rubber surrounds as opposed to foam and they weren't great at helping. The suggestion from them was "you should probably just buy one and try it out" lol.
To ship from Australia to the US is probably not much different from shipping to New Zealand. We get diddled shipping across the Tasman. I paid the equivalent of US$40 for two rubber surrounds for the Xmax subs, 2 rubber surrounds for the 6.5" in the jeep, a big tube of adhesive and shipping. I have enough glue for hundreds of recones!
lukeman269

Post by lukeman269 »

Throw some pics up! I have a buddy with two xmax 15s that need new surrounds.
gfunk_nz

Post by gfunk_nz »

No problems
Attachments
DSC_2552rsm.jpg
DSC_2553rsm.jpg
DSC_2554rsm.jpg
DSC_2555rsm.jpg
DSC_2557rsm.jpg
DSC_2558rsm.jpg
DSC_2565rsm.jpg
DSC_2566rsm.jpg
knightrider358

Post by knightrider358 »

Man those look good!

I just got a set of 12's.... They are im great shape, but at least now i know where to get them and that they can be done!
Current 1 of 2 current installs

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Sub-3 JL 10w6v1ae's sealed
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
gfunk_nz

Post by gfunk_nz »

I'm pretty stoked with how they came out.
I can't speak highly enough QSR, the guy I dealt with Joel was super helpful
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Where did you find the outside trim, the black cardboard type stuff. That's all I need for my Xmax and then it won't be so ugly.

The job you did was great. They look brand new again.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
lukeman269

Post by lukeman269 »

Holy cow! Those do look awesome man! They look brand new again. Great work.
gfunk_nz

Post by gfunk_nz »

cheers guys, the gasket is actually the original, I was able to cut it free without damaging it.