Help selecting a sub for a Elite.5

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Wayniac

Help selecting a sub for a Elite.5

Post by Wayniac »

Howzit,

I'm hoping someone would be able to help me select a 12" subwoofer to match up with my Elite.5...

To give a little back-round first, My installer connected the amp to my JBL W12GTi mkII and to my major disappointment found that the amp simply doesn't have to b@lls for the sub @ 3ohms. So now I'm been a little more cautious in my selection, as I do not want to go through this process again...or at least for a while after enjoying it :D

I'd like the sub to be able to play in SQ mode for daily driving and the odd possible SQ comp, but still be able to go into party mode when called upon i.e. be a bit bass heavy and shake my rib cage somewhat.

I generally listen to house music, rnb and smooth jazz. I'd prefer a sub that is able to play well in a sealed enclosure or at least a +-70L (+-2.5cuft) ported enclosure (space limited due to the install been partially built).

The PG elite and TI subs are reasonably priced, but I do not have the opportunity to audition them, so I'm open to suggestions from all brands

I like the JL 12W6, but it comes at a hefty price (exactly the cost of 2 x PG Elite 12" plus a TI 12" to put it perspective)

Hope that is enough info to help you to help me :P
sunshinefc3s

Re: Help selecting a sub for a Elite.5

Post by sunshinefc3s »

Check out the sundown audio offerings. They are getting great reviews. http://www.sundownaudio.com/index.php/p ... ofers.html

The re-release of the old Stereo Integrity Mag3 looks awesome too. That thread is on DIYMA.

Or maybe wait for the Audio Frog sub to be released?
Wayniac

Post by Wayniac »

Sundown Audio just recently started to be available in RSA, so I have been a little curious about it. I just assumed that it was an SPL brand though.

Unfortunately the other two brands you mentioned are not available locally and I'm not too keen on importing unless it is absolutely necessary.
sunshinefc3s

Post by sunshinefc3s »

Ah. Didn't know you were there.
Sundown might have started as an SPL brand (not sure). But the SA and SD line are specifically designed for SQ, and are reportedly best in a sealed enclosure. I haven't heard one, but the reviewes are very good. I might try an SA 12" next.
Wayniac

Post by Wayniac »

I'll look into it a bit more and assess if it is a feasible option, hopefully even try to get a demo of the brand first.

In the interim, are there any more suggestions? (I'd just like to keep all options open at the moment)
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

Try an Image Dynamics IDMAX v3 sub in either 10" or 12" models. Ran a 10" v3 version off my elite.5 pushing about 800wrms and ...DAMN ...loud, clear and deep bass in an optimum sealed enclosure. Will be running a 12" version next and is the best sounding SQ sub I've heard to date.
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
oilworker

Post by oilworker »

Alpine Type R is a nice mix of both worlds. You can get it in a dual 2 ohm also so you can get all the power possible from your elite.5
Wayniac

Post by Wayniac »

I wish I could get an IDmax, but importing one will cost about the same as a jl W6.

Maybe I should mention what brands I know are available in RSA: gladen, mmats, sundown audio, dls, Jl audio, groundzero, morel, alpine, jbl, kenwood, focal, audison, pg, RE, spl dynamics, mtx and some local brands that I'm not interested in.
sunshinefc3s

Post by sunshinefc3s »

I heard a pair of GZ uranium sub's bump the other day. Very impressive sub's. Good SQ sub from another historically SQL brand.
Wayniac

Post by Wayniac »

I recently just missed a good deal on a GZUW 300SQ and now apparently the distributor isn't bringing it in, but I can follow up on that rumour.
The GZUW 12SQ doesn't look like it can do much damage in terms of going a bit loud so I haven't put that on my wishlist yet.
Wayniac

Post by Wayniac »

Any thoughts on a Mmats P2.5?

Honest opinions on the TI2 and elite subs?
tetraag

Post by tetraag »

I have been looking at the ID Max as well as the Morel SC. they have very similar price points and although the Morel only has a single voice coil I think that the 800 W you would get at 2 ohms is more than enough to power that subwoofer. You could run the .5 down to one ohm on the ID Max for 1100 W. I don't have any advice on the other subs you mentioned.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

if you listen to dance or rap do not do the morel they don't like to get low
Id would be my choice
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Wayniac

Post by Wayniac »

I did look into Morel subs as it fits into my budget nicely, but I wasn't too sure if they would be suited for my application as from what some guys have told me, they are perfect for SQ, but when its time to put it into party mode, they end up sounding very "cheap" to put it mildly.

I sent a mail to image dynamics last week to investigate obtaining an idmax, but still waiting for a response... I am a bit wiery of the price though and can expect the sub to be approximately $800-900 by the time is lands in RSA.

The pg subs are nicely priced at $200 and $300 for the TI2 and elite 12's respectively.

Jl 12W6 is above $900

I'm still investigating the sundowns SA-12, but think its approximately $350 if I remember correctly.

Note: I used a very rough conversion from South African rands to US dollars just to give an indication of the price range I'm dealing with.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I recently decided to go with the idmax 15 when finally get the car on the road and can get back into the stereo. That will definitely not be a cheap box to ship with the size and weight.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Wayniac

Post by Wayniac »

Ok so I managed to get a demo of a set of sundown audio sa-12 subs and from that I can tell it is definately not for me. Its a bit too rowdy for my tastes.

Anyone tried Mercury audio?
Wayniac

Post by Wayniac »

ttocs wrote:I recently decided to go with the idmax 15 when finally get the car on the road and can get back into the stereo. That will definitely not be a cheap box to ship with the size and weight.

It definately won't be cheap to ship. I just spoke to a guy today that imported a few subs and he said that it costs approximately $300 for shipping and that excludes additional costs like customs and tax that can add an additional +-20% to the cost.

That's why I'm trying to find something that is available locally as the distributer absorbs most of the cost and due to them buying in bulk the costs is reduced.

The problem is that there aren't many cars available with the equipment I'm looking for to get a demo so I have to rely on any feedback from guys that may have experience with various products.
Wayniac

Post by Wayniac »

I forgot to mention a few other brands that are available: rainbow, mercury, audison, hertz
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

I think you are over looking the subs IMO
the elite is clean sounding so almost anything will work in the rated power.
Im a huge fan of svc older subs not sure why I just like the way they sound.
some of the best sounding subs I have owned are not the biggest magnet biggest vc or the most money
the box is just as important and what type of music you like
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Wayniac

Post by Wayniac »

I can't argue that I tend to over look as I'm the type of person that wants to look at all my options before selecting anything and then further researching it before purchasing it as I find it very difficult to part with my hard earned cash without been 100% satisfied.

I fully agree that installation (box in this case) contributes a significant amount to the end result of the sound. I'll even go as far as to say that one can get a cheap sub in the correct box to sound better than an expensive sub in the incorrect box.

Having said that, I still believe equipment selection is vital as equipment have been optimised to play in certain manner and in my case, having already made an incorrect selection, I'm extra cautious and would appreciate all forms of help that may be provided.
Drock

Post by Drock »

You can't go wrong with an elite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wayniac

Post by Wayniac »

Drock wrote:You can't go wrong with an elite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will the amp have enough power for that sub?

And what is the sonic character of it?
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

just a thought, some of these larger/nicer subs I think are rebuildible. Can't you save some money by importing the separate pieces as non-functioning parts and then put them together? I have family in Denmark and we have employed this technique before fore other goods.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Wayniac

Post by Wayniac »

I've never investigated that option, it is something to consider. I'll have to also find someone trustworthy that can rebuild it.

Small update on my search:
I've requested a quote from a distributer (I'm not 100% sure if its an official distriubuter as there is no advertising of the brand) for idmax and idq subs, but have to wait until the 5th for the company to open.

With regards to ID subs, I came across some comments on the net that their baskets are prone to cracking, anyone else experience this?

I'm arranging a demo for a mmats procast sub, so should have some indication on that this week.

I spoke to a guy that owns some mercury audio equipment and he highly regards that brand... So much so that he claims that he will choose the classic sub over a jl w6 anyday... Plus that sub is half the price of the jl w6. So I'm arranging demo with him next week as "seeing is believing."