Need advise on speaker layout

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
vwdude

Need advise on speaker layout

Post by vwdude »

So I have Dynaudio 3 ways with the md102, 3" mid and 8" Midbass. I also have a pair of the matching 6.5" Midbass. The amps I'm using are 2 channel ZPAs, and a pioneer nav unit (I am upgrading to the 8000NEX).

My plan was to use the factory tweeter location in the corners of the dash for the 3" mids and tweeters, and the 8s in the doors of my '13 camry hybrid. I'm trying to keep the install as stealth as possible.

Well the mid and tweeter won't fit where I wanted to put them. The pitch of the windshield and the lack of depth below dash level will make it impossible. So here are my options:

If I keep it 3 ways:
- cut out the plastic mounts for the factory tweeters and put the mid there, then mold the tweeters into the a-pillars, go passive

If I go 2 way:
- put the tweeters in the factory tweeter locations, 8s in the doors and run active
- put the tweeters in the factory tweeter locations, 6.5s in the doors and run active
- put the tweeters in the factory tweeter locations, 6.5s in the doors and get passive xovers

Note that I'd rather go passive so I can stay with 2 amps and I wouldnt need an active xover then. If I go active then I already have the amps and xovers to do it, I just don't really have the space considering I have a hybrid so my trunk space is already limited.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Need advise on speaker layout

Post by ttocs »

pics of the layout would help. I like to try and keep all my speakers close together which is why I went with kick panels. I actually have a tweeter mount behind my mirror but all I used it for was to hide the speaker for the radar detector behind it as I never did like that location sq wise. I did the 9 in the door, and the 5 and 1 in the kick.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Weaklink

Post by Weaklink »

I'd go 3-way. There may be a factory sail panel grill available. Not sure. I was able to fit 3" speakers in the dash of my tundra. Not sure of the room you have though.
2008 toy tundra
Kenwood dnx-9980hd
Hertz hi energy 3-way
Hertz hi energy coax
M50 ser# M500001
M25 ser#M2500001
Outlaw x3
Bandit x4
Route 66 x2
M100x3
M44x2
M50 x4
M25 x5
Powercore 15
Ti Basscube
And other goodies
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

I know that there's a constant debate over on axis sound versus sound stage. I'd rather have a higher soundstage.

Let me get some pictures tomorrow when it's light out.

Here's the factory tweeter location:

I'm not installing the mids like that but that's the only way I could get it to sit in there. I bought new covers that I plan to cut up and modify to house whatever goes there.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

looks like you could just trim the black plastic of the top part that is covered by the grill and make a baffle for it to mount too.

See now the mustang had the 5 x 7s in the lower door and the tweeter at the mirror but the raised sound stage the tweeter gave just threw everything off with that sides tweeter being so much closer then the woofer. I was amazed how when I got the kicks dialed in that it sounded like the speakers were mounted much higher. I don't look forward to tuning the 3-ways in but I do look forward to hearing them.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

I understand what you are saying. I've always had tweeters in the sail and I'm looking forward to hearing my dyns with the tweeter in the corner of the dash.

Well I can and will make the speaker cover into a baffle...so I'm leaning toward putting the 3s aside and using just the tweeters and Midbass. So now which Midbass, will the 8s play high enough or do I need to stick with 6.5s?

I guess I'll try them and see how it goes. It'll be a while as I still need to get the amps tuned up and ready for use (since now it looks like I'm going to use 2 ZPa0.3 and a ZPA0.5)
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

is the grill on the 3 removable? I can't remember and if its not then that will be hard to fit. I don't think I would go a tweeter and an 8" myself that is a lot of room in between
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

I don't think the grill comes off easily, but even if it did, the dome is right there, it would damage very easily. I'll just put it away for now along with the 8s and the xovers and I'll use my 6.5s. I may experiment a bit, building my adapters to work for either (it'll take at lease 2 additional rings to space them right anyways).
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

ok so here are some pictures of what i decided to do...

here is where the sub will go...

i need more advise...

this?

or this?