OEM bliss

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Bchester6

OEM bliss

Post by Bchester6 »

To achieve truly amazing sound quality without replacing the OEM stock head unit? If so, how would you go about doing it with adding the fewest external peices such as processor, line drivers, equalizers, etc..?
I just bought a TSX sports wagon and I REALLY don't want to gut the dash out like I've done with most of my cars in the past because I actually like it's non-musical functionality and it's aesthetically pleasing to look at.
Don't get me wrong, I'm going to tweak out the rest with speakers, amps and sub(s). Did the OEM sub enclosure mold this past weekend and it's gonna be pure awesomeness. :metal:
Bchester6

Re: OEM bliss

Post by Bchester6 »

Bchester6 wrote:To achieve truly amazing sound quality without replacing the OEM stock head unit? If so, how would you go about doing it with adding the fewest external peices such as processor, line drivers, equalizers, etc..?
I just bought a TSX sports wagon and I REALLY don't want to gut the dash out like I've done with most of my cars in the past because I actually like it's non-musical functionality and it's aesthetically pleasing to look at.
Don't get me wrong, I'm going to tweak out the rest with speakers, amps and sub(s). Did the OEM sub enclosure mold this past weekend and it's gonna be pure awesomeness. :metal:
Maybe I should ask this question, has anyone seen and/or heard a system that was TRULY amazing with an OEM radio?
knightrider358

Post by knightrider358 »

Im doing the same in my gf's 2014 toyota carolla type s 5sp. And i hate saying this but i bit the bullet and im gonna add a ac lc6i to the hu.
Current 1 of 2 current installs

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Sub-3 JL 10w6v1ae's sealed
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
Weaklink

Post by Weaklink »

Yes. Audison bit one. Dodge Charger. That is all. :D
2008 toy tundra
Kenwood dnx-9980hd
Hertz hi energy 3-way
Hertz hi energy coax
M50 ser# M500001
M25 ser#M2500001
Outlaw x3
Bandit x4
Route 66 x2
M100x3
M44x2
M50 x4
M25 x5
Powercore 15
Ti Basscube
And other goodies
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

I'm currently using and AC LC2i for the replaced sub in the Beats audio that came with the beast (2014 Charger Black Top Edition) 8) and will also be leaving the factory 8.4" touch screen in and adding an AC DQ-61 :shock: . Never messed with the Bit One that Art mentioned, but is the best bet if ya wanna leave the system lookin' stock, but sound tits doin' it ... :twisted:

AudioControl DQ-61:
http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/17612/7 ... Q--61.html

Audison Bit One:
http://elettromedia-usa.com/audison/bit/one/bit-one
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

So you're saying there's a chance... I got the AC LC2I unit but was skeptical about it's usefulness.
My Xtant amp has a feature for "balanced input" but I really need someone to explain that to me more.
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

So I did my first install using balanced level inputs in my TSX sportswagon (base model) using Xtant equalizer (P500a) and amp (603X). Factory head unit signal was grabbed pre-amp so it was a good balanced signal. Wanted to keep everything stock looking and was dreading the implementatioin of a LOC unit due to poor audio performance. Yes, I've heard several and was not impressed to say the least as it made great components sound just kinda meh. No processor either just a good old fashion direct wire to terminal install with passive components. Anyways having said all that, this is the quietest and most impressive system I'v had to date. You can hear a pin drop between tracks and the sonic fidelity is just amazing. Now granted, the components are top notch and speaker placement makes a huge impact on sound quality but I am truly blown away. I was skeptical at first (pre-install) but after reading this article I was determined to make it work and it was the best decision I could have made.

http://robotunderground.blogspot.com/20 ... t-why.html
oilworker

Post by oilworker »

The Audison bit one and bit ten are great. I have used a lot of them and love them. If you only need 5 channels of outputs or less, you can use the bit ten. If you need more than that, you have to step up to the bit one. It has 8 outputs.
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

I'm currently using the RF 3Sixty.3 DSP with my factory HU. It sounds amazing "sometimes". I'm replacing the RF with an Alpine PXA-H800 this summer.

You can achieve great sound using a factory HU for sure.
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

oilworker wrote:The Audison bit one and bit ten are great. I have used a lot of them and love them. If you only need 5 channels of outputs or less, you can use the bit ten. If you need more than that, you have to step up to the bit one. It has 8 outputs.
These are about the only ones I didn't get to hear. Read alot of good things about them but seemed kinda pricey and just another component to add to the signal path which I really didn't have the room for and I certainly didn't want to go the processor route either. Like I said, never did a balanced system install, done everything else, and I'm glad it was successful :D Just another option in the bag now as you can never have enough of those doing what we do.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Thanks for that link. Very interesting read for sure and it sounds like it worked out great for you.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
knightrider358

Post by knightrider358 »

I got to listen to oilworkers setup this past couple days and he showed me what his audioson bit ten does and all i have to say is WOW!!!!! it has EVERYTHING! but at the same time its sounds amazing w the adjustments he tinkered w

Just one additional processor (w everything) shouldnt make the s/n ratio to noticable to the human ear. I could see a cheap knock off making it noticable but being a audioson which is a good quality high end brand. It shouldnt be but also itll help you ur sq tremendusiously better w all the options it has.

Theres a few used ones floating around. Theres on on the fb sq classifieds for sale w the remote controller unit for a boht $350 total. Whixh is a steal
Current 1 of 2 current installs

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Sub-3 JL 10w6v1ae's sealed
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

maybe something for Morgan to think about, Phoenix gold making their own "bit one/bit ten" processor..........

to start from oem head units who need to have de equilization first.........

that would really be a product that would definitly sell...................
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

zeropoint0.5 wrote:maybe something for Morgan to think about, Phoenix gold making their own "bit one/bit ten" processor..........

to start from oem head units who need to have de equilization first.........

that would really be a product that would definitly sell...................
I would buy it!! :clap:
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

I've suggested it before...a few times. I feel that this is the future of car audio.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
Weaklink

Post by Weaklink »

I wouldn't be surprised to see something come along to go with the zen9. It has no processing. Maybe not packaged in like the frank amp but something.
2008 toy tundra
Kenwood dnx-9980hd
Hertz hi energy 3-way
Hertz hi energy coax
M50 ser# M500001
M25 ser#M2500001
Outlaw x3
Bandit x4
Route 66 x2
M100x3
M44x2
M50 x4
M25 x5
Powercore 15
Ti Basscube
And other goodies
ajaye

Post by ajaye »

Anxiously awaiting this for my BMW. Specs are pretty impressive, and some installers who I regard pretty highly for knowing their BMW shit are all over this thing. 64 bit fixed point word size for the DSP is kinda mind blowing, the most advanced audio recording/engineering software I use on my macbook pro is 32 bit float lol...and supposedly supports input resolution up to 24bit/192khz via toslink input.

http://www.audiotec-fischer.de/lng/en/p ... tml?type=N

My plan is to incorporate the factory system via the MOST Bus connection to the DSP so my factory head unit can be used for terrestrial radio, CD, and Aux input via 1/8" analog jack or via WIFI/Airplay streaming, which I already use for lossless wireless input to the AUX with a modified Airport Express. Also won't have to fight with factory bluetooth phone support and steering wheel controls. Problems now are 1. Airplay only supports 16bit/48khz? (possibly only 44.1khz I forget) plus my iphone is 16GB so even lossless redbook is a space hog.

Hoping to use the additional toslink input of the Helix for an in-car music server with my entire library hosted on an external drive mounted in the trunk. Still bouncing around ideas on how to control/with what device. I know at least one person has done something similar using a raspberry pi for the server...I'm hoping to figure out a way to use an android phone for the playback control so I can have one device in the cabin that 1. controls music server 2. can monitor car's diagnostic system in real-time 3. is with me anyway because its my cell phone.
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

Those crafty Krauts!!... Too bad Blaupunkt blows now
VHacdc89

Post by VHacdc89 »

I had a 2001 Volvo s60. Excellent factory radio.