whats up everyone, back from the dead, need bmw install help

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
STROKD

whats up everyone, back from the dead, need bmw install help

Post by STROKD »

Havent been on here in literally 2 years. Sold itchy my bad ass custom titanium Off-Road amps, kinda wish i had em back for this next project... lol

Anyway, wife got a new to us E92. Car is super nice and well, even with the factory logic 7 Harmon Kardon, it needs a real stereo...

Plan was so to go with the Audison Prima stuff, but its not loud enough. So i am opening my vault and throwing some serious shit at the project, basically told my wife she could have anything useful. So, new plan is zx475 to front and rear components, zx600 or a bridged 475/500.4 to the stock 8s under the seats, and a 1200.1 to a 12w7... havent decided on speakers yet, i want to use my utopias, i have some 4/tn52 separates i acquired years back, and dunno if i want to do those in front, or backseat, or back package tray... if i do rear tray, i can use a 5.25 or 6.5 inch set, back and front seat is 4 inch only... im not custom cutting the car up... but i could do kick panels... its an auto car so no clutch pedal to worry with... so thats an option too i guess... i have more amps and stuff if needed, but i figured this would sound pretty damn good.

Other speaker reco's? Ti-Morels? The factory door location doesnt have a very deep mount, in fact my utopias likely wont even fit... If Morel is used, whats the part number for em? Signal will be out of the stock i drive head unit into an Audison bit one... gives me 8 rca outputs, so i cant go crazy with having every channel active etc... i want to use the time delay and eq in the Audison, so i cant split channels out of it.

Any input, am I at least on the right track? I dont want to use MS power because those amps I have are seriously mint and need caps. I read from someone that the ti amps have better caps and dont really need replacing. If i melt one of those i wont really care anyway. Lol
FAS#73 & AX406A#73/Frank'd EQ230
BNIB MS2250 w/ shroud, 2 MS2250TAs, MS275, MQ430
2 Ti1200.1s, 2 ZX475Tis, Ti500.4, DD10, 6 Powercores
5 Orion 2100, 1 250 - HCCA Digital Ref. v2
6 Alpine 3558 Class A's - for sale
Alpine DigiMax system complete for sale
itchnertamatoa
Itchy Tomato

Re: whats up everyone, back from the dead, need bmw install

Post by itchnertamatoa »

looks like you already have it all under control Matt ...
don't see what I would change, can't go wrong with Utopia's ...
[url=http://www.phoenixphorum.com][img]http://phoenixphorum.com/templates/Titanium/images/logo.jpg[/img][/url]
STROKD

Post by STROKD »

itchnertamatoa wrote:looks like you already have it all under control Matt ...
don't see what I would change, can't go wrong with Utopia's ...
I just won her some more 4 inch Utopias on bay, because the 5s wont fit well. also scored a set of 5 inch Utopias bnib. :clap:

So I guess we will run the 4s in front and back. Either going to do TI amps or I might do 3 Alpine 3558s for the front end.
FAS#73 & AX406A#73/Frank'd EQ230
BNIB MS2250 w/ shroud, 2 MS2250TAs, MS275, MQ430
2 Ti1200.1s, 2 ZX475Tis, Ti500.4, DD10, 6 Powercores
5 Orion 2100, 1 250 - HCCA Digital Ref. v2
6 Alpine 3558 Class A's - for sale
Alpine DigiMax system complete for sale
ajaye

Post by ajaye »

Because the Logic 7 transmits audio from the head unit to the OEM amp via the MOST ring, you need a processor capable of decoding the L7 signal which is a proprietary digital signal specific to the HK systems. BUT FEAR NOT...any BMW Professional head or iDrive unit can be coded/programmed to function as part of any of the 3 available BMW sound system options. What you want is the mid-level option know as just "HiFi" option SA676, this way you cut out a whole mess of processing right off the bat and have flat balanced analog front and rear stereo signals right out of the idrive unit with a simple RCA adapter. No messing with a seperate MOST decoder, or a processor that first has to resum and re-EQ the speaker level signal back to flat before it then re-filters it and processes it again to send out to your amps.

I wouldn't worry about sticking with the 4" driver size to mount in the stock locations as long as you address the underseats and add a proper subwoofer (which you obviously plan on doing) . The 8"s are completely underpowered and tasked with playing way too low and broad a passband. It seems like in 99% of installs I've seen, people end up high passing the doors/components at 200ish, bandpassing the underseats from 200ish down to b/w 80-50hz, then adding a sub in the trunk for the low pass. Finding proper midbass capable 8"s that will fit in the underseat enclosures is another task, I'm looking toward the Jehnerts at this point, waiting for someone local that has them to hopefully meet up and let me listen soon. I know WAY too much about the E9x, if you need any other info about the car, audio or otherwise, let me know.