2 devices with 1 lpl?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

2 devices with 1 lpl?

Post by Bfowler »

i have a kind of unique signal path and im trying to gain some adjustment capabilities without trying to install a second lpl

heres what i have:

hu<front out goes to a eq215ix sw out goes to sub amp

the 215 splits the front signal and goes to the 4 channel. front channels will be a 5.25 component set (i will probably xo at about 200ish) rear channels are a 6.5 mid in the door (probably playing 50-200ish)

right now, i have no way of adjusting the midbass from up front.

what im thinking of doing is splitting the lpl signal so one lead goes to the sub amp, and the other goes to the eq215 into the lpl port to control the midbass

im thinking i will be able to use the lpl to control the mid and sub at the same time, and use the decks sw level to control the sub independently of the lpl

any reason this wouldnt work, or does anyone know a better way that im overlooking?
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
STROKD

Re: 2 devices with 1 lpl?

Post by STROKD »

Bryan, I think this will work, BUT LPLs are so cheap, why not use 2, one for the sub and one for the mid bass? that way you cana dial it in how you want it? i assume you dont want to just use the gain on the amp to dial it in, since you said you wanted to adjust it up front? do you not have an eq in the deck or source unit to dial in only midbass?

Also, if you go into the EQ, wont it pull bass out of what the sub amp sees too? I would think to do what u want you want to put the lpl on the rear channel of the amp running all the front phase (if it has one)... installing the lpl at the eq is going to neuter the bass twice imo...
FAS#73 & AX406A#73/Frank'd EQ230
BNIB MS2250 w/ shroud, 2 MS2250TAs, MS275, MQ430
2 Ti1200.1s, 2 ZX475Tis, Ti500.4, DD10, 6 Powercores
5 Orion 2100, 1 250 - HCCA Digital Ref. v2
6 Alpine 3558 Class A's - for sale
Alpine DigiMax system complete for sale
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Correct me if am wrong but the LPL44 is only a boost at a certain fhz (40hz?) not for the mid range fhz. Now if your trying to control the low fhz on the mids then yes the LPL will work but its really a BOOST instead of an attenuator.

Also if you have a 4ch amplifier and you have a set of ch set on HP then the LPL44 will not cause any difference on those channels. Where exactly is the LPL (or where do you plan on installing it)? The EQ215 is a line driver ya know.
STROKD

Post by STROKD »

trickyricky wrote:Correct me if am wrong but the LPL44 is only a boost at a certain fhz (40hz?) not for the mid range fhz. Now if your trying to control the low fhz on the mids then yes the LPL will work but its really a BOOST instead of an attenuator.

Also if you have a 4ch amplifier and you have a set of ch set on HP then the LPL44 will not cause any difference on those channels. Where exactly is the LPL (or where do you plan on installing it)? The EQ215 is a line driver ya know.
yea you are wrong. the bass gain on the amp is a 0-12 boost at 40, but the lpl is a 20-0 attenuator potentiometer, which with it all the way up is like not having it, and then you can turn DOWN the bass so its not ghetto slamming for all types of music... for what the OP wants to use it for will work great, IF he can split the signal correctly. it's not going to add bumps at 40 hz...
Weaklink

Post by Weaklink »

Yes it should work. It just doesn't seem like that would be 2 things you would want to control simultaneously. I hate going through the menus to turn my sub up and down. That's why I like the lpl. It's a quick turn the knob sub goes up and down. I wouldn't want to loose my mid bass as well. I'd do two knobs. But everyone's tastes are different so splitting it should work.

http://download.phoenixphorum.com/TechS ... litter.pdf
2008 toy tundra
Kenwood dnx-9980hd
Hertz hi energy 3-way
Hertz hi energy coax
M50 ser# M500001
M25 ser#M2500001
Outlaw x3
Bandit x4
Route 66 x2
M100x3
M44x2
M50 x4
M25 x5
Powercore 15
Ti Basscube
And other goodies
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

pretty sure I remember at one point seeing a schematic to use a splitter to do it but its been for ever.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
knightrider358

Post by knightrider358 »

Theres a manual schematic on here in the manuals i remember seeing it specifically for this application
Current 1 of 2 current installs

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Sub-3 JL 10w6v1ae's sealed
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

The LPL44 will only control the output of the LP on the EQ215ix...so unless you have the crossover on the EQ set pretty darn high I don't see how you could control the midbass drivers with the LPL44/EQ215ix.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

trickyricky wrote:The LPL44 will only control the output of the LP on the EQ215ix...so unless you have the crossover on the EQ set pretty darn high I don't see how you could control the midbass drivers with the LPL44/EQ215ix.
i *think* it will control whatever range you have the LP XO set at. so while i think the intention of the EQ is to have a sub there, you can set the LP all the way up to about 500
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

Weaklink wrote:Yes it should work. It just doesn't seem like that would be 2 things you would want to control simultaneously. I hate going through the menus to turn my sub up and down. That's why I like the lpl. It's a quick turn the knob sub goes up and down. I wouldn't want to loose my mid bass as well. I'd do two knobs. But everyone's tastes are different so splitting it should work.

http://download.phoenixphorum.com/TechS ... litter.pdf

that splitter was what i hoped would work. i think that article was hoping i would have the lpl controlling only amps, and all playing the same range.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

STROKD wrote:Bryan, I think this will work, BUT LPLs are so cheap, why not use 2, one for the sub and one for the mid bass? that way you cana dial it in how you want it? i assume you dont want to just use the gain on the amp to dial it in, since you said you wanted to adjust it up front? do you not have an eq in the deck or source unit to dial in only midbass?

Also, if you go into the EQ, wont it pull bass out of what the sub amp sees too? I would think to do what u want you want to put the lpl on the rear channel of the amp running all the front phase (if it has one)... installing the lpl at the eq is going to neuter the bass twice imo...
i do have a EQ in the deck, but only 7 bands. it has HP XO's front the front and rear outputs, and LP for the sub

the sub is only seeing signal straight from the deck then lowpass'ed on the sub amp

the midbass is seeing signal from the front output on the deck, then lowpass'ed at the eq215
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

i have a few lpl's mostly i am trying to avoid running the wire, and trying to find a place to mount the knob

the way i understand lpl's, they just attenuate any signal that has the lowpass filter enabled.

so with the eq215ix, it will attenuate the side that has the low pass. which is the midbass. (which has a hp filter from the amp and will be about 50hz, and the eq lowpass XO will be set to about 200ish.

the sub amp also has the lowpass XO enabled and thats at about 50hz for the sub (all this is conceptual still so i will play with it
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

so it sounds like it will come down to if the LPL attenuates all lp signal, or only at the centered bass gain frequency.

damn, maybe just finding a spot for a second lpl is the way to go
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

i have at home a tryout waiting , normally a lpl has a mono 50k pot, well i bought

a couple of stereo 50k pots to solder 2 cables on to connect on 2 amps.....

but i didn't had the time to try it out yet......

so one stereo 50k pot, with two telephone cables on each to an amp............
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

zeropoint0.5 wrote:i have at home a tryout waiting , normally a lpl has a mono 50k pot, well i bought

If your doing that then why not just get the RadioShack splitter?
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

trickyricky wrote:
zeropoint0.5 wrote:i have at home a tryout waiting , normally a lpl has a mono 50k pot, well i bought

i didn't tried it yet....the stereo pots were in stock, the splitter were on order.....

i'll come back on that when i have the time....probably both things will work......we'll see......
STROKD

Post by STROKD »

Bfowler wrote:
STROKD wrote:Bryan, I think this will work, BUT LPLs are so cheap, why not use 2, one for the sub and one for the mid bass? that way you cana dial it in how you want it? i assume you dont want to just use the gain on the amp to dial it in, since you said you wanted to adjust it up front? do you not have an eq in the deck or source unit to dial in only midbass?

i do have a EQ in the deck, but only 7 bands. it has HP XO's front the front and rear outputs, and LP for the sub

the sub is only seeing signal straight from the deck then lowpass'ed on the sub amp

the midbass is seeing signal from the front output on the deck, then lowpass'ed at the eq215
oh ok, i didnt know you ran the signal straight to the sub amp from the deck, what i said wouldnt happen then. lol i run everything through my eq and then to a 406, have since the good ole days... now im getting a bit one, and wont use any of my pg processing. :( I bet its gonna sound like shit, but im gonna give it a try anyway for ease and more trunk space.

you are correct in how the lpl works, BUT you will not have seperate control of the sub and the mid bass, it will all be tied together which imo will make it either boomy or thin... id get two lpls, do what you wanted and have full control of the mid bass and the boom... can mix it up on a lot of different music that way!
STROKD

Post by STROKD »

zeropoint0.5 wrote:
trickyricky wrote:

i didn't tried it yet....the stereo pots were in stock, the splitter were on order.....

i'll come back on that when i have the time....probably both things will work......we'll see......
this is a great idea if having two seperate mono amps or stereo amps bridged to multiple subs running same frequency...

for what Bryan wants to do, it'd be a crap shoot if it sounded right, adjusting multiple frequencies with the same lpl... :lol: itd probably sound great at one spot, for one song!
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Weaklink

Post by Weaklink »

Stoked the bit one is an amazing piece. I haven't installed a better processor yet. It can take a while to tune though but I love that part. I took half a day tuning one in a customers dodge and I played some Garth brooks live in it and I got a little chocked up. Felt like I was there with the crowd. Only car that's ever done that to me.
2008 toy tundra
Kenwood dnx-9980hd
Hertz hi energy 3-way
Hertz hi energy coax
M50 ser# M500001
M25 ser#M2500001
Outlaw x3
Bandit x4
Route 66 x2
M100x3
M44x2
M50 x4
M25 x5
Powercore 15
Ti Basscube
And other goodies
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

after consulting the almighty errin, i learned i SHOULD NOT do this, as the lpl actually plugs inline with the amps sensitivity circuit.

so by splitting the lpl i would be wiring the sensitivity pots of 2 very dissimilar devices together.

2 lpls for me i guess
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Bfowler wrote:after consulting the almighty errin, i learned i SHOULD NOT do this, as the lpl actually plugs inline with the amps sensitivity circuit.

so by splitting the lpl i would be wiring the sensitivity pots of 2 very dissimilar devices together.

2 lpls for me i guess
What amps are you using? I don't see how the LPL ties the sensitivity circuit by splitting an LPL44. All it does is attenuate the signal on the LowPass circuit, even if you have two amps with one LPL it would not matter as each amp will be separately gain matched FIRST. Yes you'll be controlling the LP "gain" for both or more amps with one LPL if split, but if that is an issue than you'll have to get separate LPL44's...NOT dual gang/stereo pots as that will do exactly the SAME as splitting the LPL44 in the first place.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

trickyricky wrote:
Bfowler wrote:after consulting the almighty errin, i learned i SHOULD NOT do this, as the lpl actually plugs inline with the amps sensitivity circuit.

2 lpls for me i guess
What amps are you using? I don't see how the LPL ties the sensitivity circuit by splitting an LPL44. All it does is attenuate the signal on the LowPass circuit, even if you have two amps with one LPL it would not matter as each amp will be separately gain matched FIRST. Yes you'll be controlling the LP "gain" for both or more amps with one LPL if split, but if that is an issue than you'll have to get separate LPL44's...NOT dual gang/stereo pots as that will do exactly the SAME as splitting the LPL44 in the first place.

the amp is the 600.1 side of a roadster66. the other port is for the eq215ix