AGU Fuse Powered Distribution Blocks

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
JayGold

AGU Fuse Powered Distribution Blocks

Post by JayGold »

It seems most of the high-end car audio world refrains from using the AGU glass fuses now due to their poor design/false fails of the cartridges and the pressure clamp design on the fuse block itself. I have several of the PG powered AGU fuse blocks (ZBB12, BBK, etc.) and now I'm unsure if I should use them or just go with a more reliable ANL/mini-ANL non-powered fuse block.

Suggestions?

Also, if I decide to sell the Ti powered blocks I do have, what seems to be the going fair rate for these powered blocks these days?
14 PG amps from M/MS/ZX/Ti/LE and counting....the addiction continues...
trickyricky

Re: AGU Fuse Powered Distribution Blocks

Post by trickyricky »

The main issue I see with AGU are the fuses...not the pressure from the clamp design. The cheap chineses AGU fuses are the worse, they blow up on the wrong spot (inside ends) so they still make contact or show up defective from the package (china crap).

I use the following, the only issue I've had was when I blew the fuse but that was because I was drawing 200amps on a 60amp slow blow fuse within 5 seconds it popped!!.

Yeah not the pretties, but these are UL lsited.
NOT 2 OLD YET

Post by NOT 2 OLD YET »

If you use good quality fuses you should never have a problem! On the other hand if your install goes as planned with no problems you will never blow a fuse anyway! I have no problem with glass fuses at all. Think about it glass fuses have been used for over 80yrs. If you can get your hands on some older BUSS fuses you are Gold! Its what I have in my ZBB34. Look at the older PG amps, they have glass Buss fuses in them!
Collection And Still Growing:
M-100, 50,2,44s, and 25
RT 66 #0840, Outlaw#1005, Bandit#1884, MQ430
MS2125, MS275, MS 2250 W/shroud 3MPS2500, 2 MPS2240 Custom MPS4740
EQ215, EQ215ix,EQ 230 W/TBAt, ZX600TI, 400TI, TI500.4
2 PLD1, MX2, 2 Leather Team PG Jackets
TBA (Dealer Display Empty Guts)10'XS Subs
AX204, 406 (New In Box)
Eclipse ECD413 + DSP1001 , 2 JL 8W6
Installed: PG MPS2500 and Modified By PG MQ430
ZBB34TI With ZRDT3, and RMD
Audison Bit 10
PG Elite and Sapphire 6.5 Comps
JL 13TW5 subs
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I have no issue with the glass the wafer style can be a pain to get in unless the dist block is in a super easy to access area. Esp on the pg blocks with the ground terminal for the power reading I am sure I am not the only person that has shorted that out to the power terminal .1" away from it....
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Yep if everything is planned correctly then those fuses will rarely pop (unless the positive wire touches ground while hot). I stick with Buss fuses as much as possible, ANL AGU and even Maxi fuses that I use are all Buss/UL listed.

The Buss ANL high amperage fuses are very well made, no worries about it melting or catching on fire.
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

I have only ever run the glass AGU fuses. I did have one fail that looked perfect. Thats back to that quality thing though.

I have a bunch of these fuse blocks, both Ti and black. Only recently aquired my first KF block. They do hold their value.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
JayGold

Post by JayGold »

I seem to trust the internal amp AGU fuses over any off the shelf china made cartridges today for external dist blocks. I figured with the later design change to mini-ANL that would be the preferred option. I've never had any issues with wiring up a system correctly and fusing it accordingly along the way.

Good thing the Ti/Black fuse blocks hold their value :D
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I would not let the idea of cheap Chinese fuses let you decide what you choose as I was surprised to see there was a large assortment of fuses in different types and sizes) from harbor freight that was recalled. Put cheap crap into it and it doesn't matter what brand/type of fuse it is your still asking for trouble.
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

These are the ANL's I use....

Now take a look at a cheap crappy one...

Which one you think has a better chance on catching fire? The Buss fuse is pretty much impossible to catch on fire.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Ricky are those marine grade fuses? I was looking the other day at some that were like $50 each I think marine fuses. I guess the main difference is they are built well and are completely sealed.

It's a sad day when stuff made in Mexico is the GOOD stuff. Lol (or course Mexican food is always the best from Mexico).
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
JayGold

Post by JayGold »

West Marine has some good items:

Avg $20.00 for the Mexican built style fuses above: http://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea- ... 73_004_004

I currently use this block for my main battery fuse and it's been nothing but great: http://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea- ... ds--199997

Could always go with a completely sealed unit with a variety of fuse ratings and styles here: http://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea- ... P011975778
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

now Idunno about Mexican food being better from mexico. Living in phoenix we use to make trips down there and anytime someone recommended and authentic Mexican restaurant down there it was bland, had no flavor and of course always somehow gave one person in our group the shits...
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Ttocs you've ate at the wrong spots man....have you tried "taco's al vapor" just what they sound like, vaped tacos. Steamed cooked and so soft and tender that they melt in your mouth, not to mention the size of the tortilla is about 3" in DIAMETER!!! LOL talk about bite size tacos...