Different ohm comp set

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Bchester6

Different ohm comp set

Post by Bchester6 »

I recently picked up some beautiful NIB A/D/S tweeters (4 ohm) and a set of barely used Orion HCCA Millenium Anniversary 6.5 mid bass woofers (2 ohm). I would love to install this but am not fully understanding what running two different components with two different ohm ratings will do. I've never mixed before so a little help is much appreciated.
knightrider358

Re: Different ohm comp set

Post by knightrider358 »

Ull at least get diff watts, higher w the lower ohm set.

But ud have better sound.control of the higher ohm rated ones and lower distortion.
Current 1 of 2 current installs

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Sub-3 JL 10w6v1ae's sealed
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Bchester6 wrote:I recently picked up some beautiful NIB A/D/S tweeters (4 ohm) and a set of barely used Orion HCCA Millenium Anniversary 6.5 mid bass woofers (2 ohm). I would love to install this but am not fully understanding what running two different components with two different ohm ratings will do. I've never mixed before so a little help is much appreciated.
How are you powering them? My Explorer install uses 4 ohm tweeters with 8 ohm midrange drivers run actively off a Xenon 200.4, and 2 ohm woofers run off the front channels of a SD1300.5 and 2 ohm final load subwoofers run off the sub channel of the SD1300.5. As long as you compensate in the volume differences running actively, there should be no problem. If you were to run your setup passively, you'd definitely have to adjust your crossover network to work with the different value drivers.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

I planned on a traditional set up (passive crossovers) but I don't know about tinkering with crossover frequencies as I am not that well versed in the technical aspect of circuitry... unless it's something remedial of course.
THUMP-LUMP

Post by THUMP-LUMP »

You may want to try one of these passive calcs to see what components you need. Keeping it simple, just use the nominal impedance for each driver. Just scroll down the page a bit and you'll see them.

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

so if you mean passive cross overs and specifically pre-made ones you will need to understand that the frequency that is selected in the cross over has more to do with the ohm value of the speaker then any other thing. So taking a cross over make for 2 - 4 ohm speakers and putting a 2 ohm speaker will make a HUGE change in the frequency selected.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
THUMP-LUMP

Post by THUMP-LUMP »

What ttocs said. DO NOT use a pre made xover intended for 4ohm on a 2ohm speaker. A "safe" generic xover point between mids and tweets would be 4000hz. Without having more info about the speakers in question, one really can't offer any more info.