Tantrum 1200.1 Question

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
brumledb

Tantrum 1200.1 Question

Post by brumledb »

I am about to install a 1200.1 and want to set the gains using oscillocope/DMM. From what I have read most everyone sets the gains with the speakers unhooked. The 1200.1 manual says that it should never be powered on without speakers connected. None of the other Tantrum manuals says this. So I am wondering is this specific to the 1200.1 and what could possibly happen if I do set the gains without the speakers hooked up.
If I had to I could buy some sort of cheap dummy load to connect the amp to while I set the gains. And to that end, I have some stock 6x9's that I took out and will never be used and are 4 ohm. What would happen if I connected these as my load while setting the gains besides they would never work again?
vladthebad

Re: Tantrum 1200.1 Question

Post by vladthebad »

Be careful careful!!!! Tantrum 1200.1 has tripath chip that isn't replaceable anymore without hoping to find a spare from some elder repair God.... Seriously.

If it was me, I'd set gains with 8 ohm load. High enough to not cause much current draw yet still in the realm of a real load after impedance rise. :)
brumledb

Post by brumledb »

Thanks for the info and yeah I guess that makes sense why it is mentioned in the 1200.1 manual but not the others. I actually just found this link in another thread about the tripath chip.
http://www.altser.com/index.html

Looks like there are a few chips left anyways. Maybe I'll try to pick up a parts amp off ebay or something.

What would your advice be on how many watts the dummy load should be able to handle? Since I don't plan to have power going to the load for very long is something rated for 8 ohm and 300 watts sufficient or would you recommend using more than 1?

Thanks
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

I've ran and until this day my brother runs a clarion tripath amp at 4ohms mono and its very efficient. Can't see any issues with ruining a 4ohm load.
brumledb

Post by brumledb »

Guess I'll just spend $40 and buy this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000W-2-4-8-16- ... 3a849a94b2

It's the cheapest option I have found and the simplest. Cheap tube resistors only go up to about 200 watts and would require a lot of mounting and wiring although the quality is probably better. No more than what I need it to do, this should suffice.