mounting amps upside down?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
CK1991

mounting amps upside down?

Post by CK1991 »

I was wondering if it is safe to mount amps upside down, and if so, do I need fans on them?
the amps in question are an m100 and xs6600 bridged down to 4 channels (both running 4 ohm load per channel). if possible, i would love to mount them upside down recessed into the headliner of my hightop van above the front seats (look up, see amps under glass)
Pioneer keh9595 + deh80prs, Phoenix Gold xs6600 PG M10p, and some randon speakers in a van
twisted
Fordtough's Boyfriend

Re: mounting amps upside down?

Post by twisted »

yeah , you would be safe to mount them upside down, i would add extra cooling though.
they look pretty good mounted in the roof :mrgreen:
what amps are you using?
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Some amps can do it and some say specifically not to. I think it depends on if it has I board fans and where they are located on the amp. My McIntosh was upside down but the fan location worked. My ZPAs I wouldn't do upside down, the fans will blow he hot air into the board and away from the heat sinks.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

i personally wouldnt run that xs upside down, even without bridging it! you can try it, but i can almost promise you it will feel like a forman grill after some extended use
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Wrennagade

Post by Wrennagade »

I plan on installing my reactor upside down in my runner...
Ti BASS Cube
Ti Powercore 15
Ti DD10
Ti Fuseblock(Power)
1xTi500.4(Thanks Brian!)
1xTi1200.1
2xTi X-overs/1x Ti Tweets
1xReactor
1xTi 12EliteD
MS1000TA(Black)
Alpine 3339 EQ
Pioneer MVH P8300BT
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

its never been recommended by an means and yet so many of our favs with the plexi to show off the inside were mounted exactly that way. Yes the shrouds added cooling and any smart or good installer will allow for plenty of air flow and might even run a test just to see how hot it will get on that speaker prior to doing it. If it has a fan built into the amp then you should be better off then with out one but just like I said some are safe for it or even designed for it that means there are some that absolutely should not.

Hook up the speakers and jam the combo for 30 mins and see how hot it gets. I would also triple check that the amp has a thermal protection on it.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.