Tweeter housing Elite.65cs

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
feisty

Tweeter housing Elite.65cs

Post by feisty »

Hi Guys - great forum you've got here. blew me away when I saw how active it is.
Anyway......

I bought a set of elite 6.5 recently 2nd hand. They are the older model where the tweeter appears non removable from the housing (Arghhhhhh!!!!)

My research on this forum tells me later ones are removeable.

I cannot do the install the way I want with the housings (partly because the tweeters did not come with the large nuts for the back that holds them in place but mainly because IU want them to go in the OEM location)

Has anyone managed to cut / grind / force / tease etc the tweeter out of the housing.

All help much appreciated
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Tweeter housing Elite.65cs

Post by ttocs »

I think a pic here would help since there are a few different tweeter designs in my head that I am not sure which is which.

Would it be possible to carefully cut the back of the housing off from the rest of the mount? Assuming that the back is what is mounted it should allow you to at least see what is holding it(tabs/glue/ect) and then you can probably figure out a way to separate the back from the tweeter. If it were me I would set up my dremel press with a couple blocks of wood to keep it from cutting to deeply with a cut off wheel. You could also just take a simple hand saw which would take longer but probably be the safest to keep from messing up the tweeter. Once the back is separated(again assuming that is where its held) you can then just simply glue the back on and hopefully its back where it will not be seen
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
feisty

Post by feisty »

Thanks. The housing is made from a solid piece of aluminium apparently.

Apologies for the photo. I dropped the phone and killed the lens cover.

Ok so no photo sorry!! It is the same tweeter as the one a third of the way down this page:-

http://www.armourautoretail.com/phoenix ... aker-range

I could try cutting it with a hacksaw but I am not that confident. The new version has the tweeter held in with one screw - my version is either glued or pressed or similar. Migtht be a little braver if I had heard that it had been done before though....
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

well that knocks that plan out then. I guess I am confused then that it is not removable from the housing. Does that mean that the flush mount cup is integrated into the tweeter and there is something else needed for surface mounting?
feisty

Post by feisty »

Yep. It's a pain in the butt. PG describe that the tweeters 'reside in an anodized aluminum housing that has been CNC'd from a single block of raw aluminum.'

I reckon they must slide the tweeter in from the front then press the facia and grill on some how. It is beautifully done. The housing itself is huge and requires a hole 47mm across.
If they weren't $150 to buy I would give it a go but I don't want to stuff them up as I'm in Australia and replacements will take forever to get here.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

when you were talking about the housing I thought you meant the surface or flush mount cups. I would assume this machined aluminum case slides into one of these cups or do you not have the mounting cups? Why are you wanting to remove the tweeter from its housing?
oilworker

Post by oilworker »

Almost positive you can take them out. It should be held in the back by a flushmount phillips head screw.
oilworker

Post by oilworker »

http://www.phoenixgold.com/product.php?productID=61
Here you go. Click the link in bottom right corner for tweeter mounting update.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I would hope that if it was held together by the only screw on the speaker that anyone here would be able to figure it out....
Weaklink

Post by Weaklink »

I think the cup screws onto the tweeter as well. My set should be here soon.
2008 toy tundra
Kenwood dnx-9980hd
Hertz hi energy 3-way
Hertz hi energy coax
M50 ser# M500001
M25 ser#M2500001
Outlaw x3
Bandit x4
Route 66 x2
M100x3
M44x2
M50 x4
M25 x5
Powercore 15
Ti Basscube
And other goodies
feisty

Post by feisty »

oilworker wrote:http://www.phoenixgold.com/product.php?productID=61
Here you go. Click the link in bottom right corner for tweeter mounting update.
Thanks Oilworker - that's the later one with the screw where the tweeter is designed to be removed (Mine is the earlier one)

There is NO screw on the back of mine

If anyone has a later tweeter handy a photo of it out of the housing would be really handy. It would give me an idea of how hard the task is at hand.....
feisty

Post by feisty »

ttocs wrote:when you were talking about the housing I thought you meant the surface or flush mount cups. I would assume this machined aluminum case slides into one of these cups or do you not have the mounting cups? Why are you wanting to remove the tweeter from its housing?

Need to remove it because it is way too big for the OEM housing
feisty

Post by feisty »

Had a look at the later version today in a shop - so easy to remove the tweeter.

Still trying to find the courage to start cutting and grinding