Early outlaw?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Weaklink

Early outlaw?

Post by Weaklink »

Got an outlaw today and it doesn't have to cutout above the m100 caps. It also has green transistors in the m100. And the caps are smaller in the m50 side. Both boards are rev a. In my other outlaw the m50 is rev b. Oilworkers #914 has the cut, black transistors and normal caps. Think this one might be between #900-#913? Anyone have a number lower than 914?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
2008 toy tundra
Kenwood dnx-9980hd
Hertz hi energy 3-way
Hertz hi energy coax
M50 ser# M500001
M25 ser#M2500001
Outlaw x3
Bandit x4
Route 66 x2
M100x3
M44x2
M50 x4
M25 x5
Powercore 15
Ti Basscube
And other goodies
vwdude

Re: Early outlaw?

Post by vwdude »

Sounds like you might be right. I'm curious to see what some of the gurus say.

Is it me or does that last picture look like a short waiting to happen? I'd rotate that negative terminal away from the positive side.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

looks like some of the transistors are using pads and some with cream? If that is the case I would guess it was a repair.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

ttocs wrote:looks like some of the transistors are using pads and some with cream? If that is the case I would guess it was a repair.
not really. the M100 section are with paste, the M50 section with silpads......

fet's/transistors with metal on the back side Always have to have a silpad so they never can touch the heatsink.....

the other ones just need cooling paste............
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

zeropoint0.5 wrote:
ttocs wrote:looks like some of the transistors are using pads and some with cream? If that is the case I would guess it was a repair.

fet's/transistors with metal on the back side Always have to have a silpad so they never can touch the heatsink.....

This is true about 90% of the time. In the case of ZPA amps, and the ZX series for example, they have metal contact transistors right up against the heatsink with no pads, only paste. The reason they can get away with this is anodized aluminum is not conductive (on the surface). In the case of the M series, PG might have actually been able to get away with no pads, but if the aluminum was not totally consistent they could have run into issues. My guess is this is why they went with pads for most of the devices.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

that's interesting. I never got into the guts of the M's enough to notice but I would have thought that they used the same mountings.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

Eric D wrote:
zeropoint0.5 wrote:

This is true about 90% of the time. In the case of ZPA amps, and the ZX series for example, they have metal contact transistors right up against the heatsink with no pads, only paste. The reason they can get away with this is anodized aluminum is not conductive (on the surface). In the case of the M series, PG might have actually been able to get away with no pads, but if the aluminum was not totally consistent they could have run into issues. My guess is this is why they went with pads for most of the devices.

yes i should have written for M/MS/MPS series.......the bottom line is, if there was a silpad, you have to replace with a new silpad, not with paste,

if there wast paste, don't put a silpad in place......

the zx/zpa have a different cooling system....( it's even better, they never get so hot like MS/M/MPS without shroud)