best android dock for car?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Chiapet

best android dock for car?

Post by Chiapet »

what would be the best way to get high quality sound from my galaxy tab s to my audison bit one? I need a good docking station, anyone have any ideas?

Im looking at the ram mount stuff now, but i cant find any specs for it.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: best android dock for car?

Post by ttocs »

The best way would be probably to go directly out from the headphone rather then going through another converter to transmit the sound
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Chiapet

Post by Chiapet »

headphone jack tends to cut off high and low freq
ajaye

Post by ajaye »

I was frustrated by this situation with my car. The problem with headphone jacks is that they are optimized to drive the lower impedance presented by headphones vs. the 5k-10k input impedance of a true line level input. I was using an ipod and an iphone, so at first I bought a fiio L11 Line Out Dock, the sound was vastly improved with far less distortion and was worth a $11 investment, but the aux-in jack is in my armrest. I hate having the cable coming out of there, getting pinched by the closed armrest and all tangled everywhere and stupid looking. I ended pulling the AC power supply and wall outlet power cable out of an apple airport express I had laying around, replaced the power cord with a USB cable and put a 5v to 3v buck converter in place of the power supply (although the 2nd gen airport express doesn't need the 3volt supply, just 5 volt), and power it from a cigg lighter usb adapter which is also in my armrest. Made a 6 inch 1/8" stereo to 1/8" stereo cable to feed the line level audio from the airport express to the aux-in and the whole deal fits in my armrest. Then I just join the airport express' wifi network with the iphone and stream music to the aux-in via airplay. The fact that airplay supports full redbook lossless was the main factor in going this route, but its also a limiting factor in my situation that I'm continuing to investigate improving.

I know there are apps for Android that allow you to stream using airplay. The airport express 1/8" stereo output is also a mini Toslink digital out, which would be ideal for you. You could basically put the airport express right next to the bit one, and feed a full lossless digital signal wirelessly from the tablet anywhere in or near the car, or any other device capable of streaming via airplay for that matter. This way you would only have one digital to analog conversion at the output of the bit one vs. converting digital to analog by the tablet, back to digital for processing by the bit one, then back to analog again for the outputs by the bit one.