system hiss

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
tetraag

system hiss

Post by tetraag »

Finally installed my elite 1600.5, dq-61 to my factory head unit and there s a constant low level hissing noise from my tweeters. Here are all the things I've done that resulted in no change

turned radio off
adjusted volume
Moved cross overs
rewired the offending tweeter outside the dash
unplugged all rcas
adjusted the input/output levels of dq-61
adjusted gains on front channel 1600.5

the only change I noticed was when touching the gain knob with a screwdriver it lowered the volume of the hiss

Is it something in the amp or how the amp is grounded?
Drock

Re: system hiss

Post by Drock »

Try a different source like an iPod to rule out the h/u.
Do you have another amp to try.
Try to figure out the source of the noise.

Maybe Scott would be good help here.
tetraag

Post by tetraag »

I think the head unit and processor were ruled out when I disconnected the rca from the amp
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Easy, just leave the screw driver propped in the gain pot and touching the chassis of the amp...lol, jk that would be ghetto right there. Is the chassis of the amplifier touching the chassis/ground of the car or is isolated (on subwoofer enclosure or mdf panel)?
Weaklink

Post by Weaklink »

What position is the ground isolation jumper inside the dq-61 set at?
2008 toy tundra
Kenwood dnx-9980hd
Hertz hi energy 3-way
Hertz hi energy coax
M50 ser# M500001
M25 ser#M2500001
Outlaw x3
Bandit x4
Route 66 x2
M100x3
M44x2
M50 x4
M25 x5
Powercore 15
Ti Basscube
And other goodies
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

try grounding the outer shield on the rca.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
wooferdog

Post by wooferdog »

I had the same issue with a elite.4.The hiss is from the amp itself.You can hear the hiss in the tweeters with no rca's hooked up and the gains can be all the way down.My amp was sent in to Zed under warranty for this and a turn off thump.Zed had to modify the gain circuit from in front of the crossover to after it right before the pre amp section to get the hiss out.All the hiss was from the crossover going right to the pre amp and being amplified.So putting the gain before the pre amp makes the amp very quiet.This is what was explained to me by Steve.He said he has done a lot of the elite amps this way for the hiss problem.The thump I had was the muting circuit bad that he repaired also.The amp had no hiss in the tweeters after the mod was done.
Phoenix Gold,Don't Leave Home Without It !!!
tetraag

Post by tetraag »

Lots of good stuff to check. I'll look at the ground switch in the dq-61. Woofer dog, can you send a pm with repair cost est? Just want to have a rough idea
wooferdog

Post by wooferdog »

tetraag wrote:Lots of good stuff to check. I'll look at the ground switch in the dq-61. Woofer dog, can you send a pm with repair cost est? Just want to have a rough idea
Mine was done under warranty so I did not get a price.You could give Steve a call at Zed Audio and he should be able to help with an estimate.

http://www.zedaudiocorp.com/
tetraag

Post by tetraag »

Finally got around to adjusting the gain structure and it made no difference. It is not rca/eq related as they were unplugged. I'll try regrounding the amp/switching it out next. Currently it is grounded to the rear battery not chassis.
Camse2007

Post by Camse2007 »

wooferdog wrote:I had the same issue with a elite.4.The hiss is from the amp itself.You can hear the hiss in the tweeters with no rca's hooked up and the gains can be all the way down.My amp was sent in to Zed under warranty for this and a turn off thump.Zed had to modify the gain circuit from in front of the crossover to after it right before the pre amp section to get the hiss out.All the hiss was from the crossover going right to the pre amp and being amplified.So putting the gain before the pre amp makes the amp very quiet.This is what was explained to me by Steve.He said he has done a lot of the elite amps this way for the hiss problem.The thump I had was the muting circuit bad that he repaired also.The amp had no hiss in the tweeters after the mod was done.
^This. I had 2 Elite.2 amps with the same hiss. Taken care of under warranty.

What was said earlier, use an Ipod, Iphone and play music from that directly into amp, that'll rule out much of the chain - I had hiss with no music playing on both amps - it was pretty bad and obvious.

I have 2 Elite 4's and Elite 1 finally installed after many issues. I'm happy yet the long term reliability I'm questioning now especially these come at a premium.

Wooferdog, another observation I made was that the issues my amps had were built in 2012. Did you happen to notice when yours was crafted? From your explanation from Steve (zeD) sounds like the engineering, no? I was thinking maybe in 2012 they had a bad batch of 'something'.
tetraag

Post by tetraag »

Thanks for the insight. I am in the process of reaching out to the dealer through this forum and email. Hopefully we can get something done.
wooferdog

Post by wooferdog »

Camse2007 wrote:
wooferdog wrote:I had the same issue with a elite.4.The hiss is from the amp itself.You can hear the hiss in the tweeters with no rca's hooked up and the gains can be all the way down.My amp was sent in to Zed under warranty for this and a turn off thump.Zed had to modify the gain circuit from in front of the crossover to after it right before the pre amp section to get the hiss out.All the hiss was from the crossover going right to the pre amp and being amplified.So putting the gain before the pre amp makes the amp very quiet.This is what was explained to me by Steve.He said he has done a lot of the elite amps this way for the hiss problem.The thump I had was the muting circuit bad that he repaired also.The amp had no hiss in the tweeters after the mod was done.
^This. I had 2 Elite.2 amps with the same hiss. Taken care of under warranty.

What was said earlier, use an Ipod, Iphone and play music from that directly into amp, that'll rule out much of the chain - I had hiss with no music playing on both amps - it was pretty bad and obvious.

I have 2 Elite 4's and Elite 1 finally installed after many issues. I'm happy yet the long term reliability I'm questioning now especially these come at a premium.

Wooferdog, another observation I made was that the issues my amps had were built in 2012. Did you happen to notice when yours was crafted? From your explanation from Steve (zeD) sounds like the engineering, no? I was thinking maybe in 2012 they had a bad batch of 'something'.
Yes,a 2012 amp and the design of the pre amp/crossover section.