PG Subs - do they lean toward SQ or SPL?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
sunshinefc3s

PG Subs - do they lean toward SQ or SPL?

Post by sunshinefc3s »

Never heard a PG sub (any PG sub). Where do they fall on the spectrum between SQ and SPL? Are they more accurate, or loud? What other (more mainstream) subs can you compare to (lets assume all else equal).
lukeman269

Re: PG Subs - do they lean toward SQ or SPL?

Post by lukeman269 »

Really depends on the application, but I think they lean more towards sq. Every PG sub sounds different, and they have a few different lines. The Ti Elite line would compare to JL Audio's W7. The W7 and Ti Elite sound completely different, but they are in the same class of big sql style subs.

The PG Ti line of subs compare to that of Alpine Type R, JL Audio w6v2 or v3. Again, they sound completely different from each other but I would consider them to be in the same category for mid level/above average style sq woofers.

I had a pair of PG Rsdc 12" subs and they got low and loud. Probably not over 140db but plenty loud for the average guy. They were very good sounding subs and they didn't need ridiculous power to get loud either.
sunshinefc3s

Post by sunshinefc3s »

Excellent. Exactly what I was wondering. Thanks!

Where in MN are you?
lukeman269

Post by lukeman269 »

I live just north of Minneapolis in Blaine
sunshinefc3s

Post by sunshinefc3s »

lukeman269 wrote:I live just north of Minneapolis in Blaine
We're neighbors... Plymouth.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

pg made subs for a while and for a few different uses. Which line of subs are you curious about?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
sunshinefc3s

Post by sunshinefc3s »

Just in general. I'm struggling finding a good SQ sub that also gets a bit louder. Only one folks keep coming back to is the JL W6 and W7, but I've never been a fan of JL for some reason. They are just too popular. I've been using Boston Acoustics 10" G3's and now had a chance to listen to the Focal 27kx. While they are amazing and accurate SQ subs, they don't have the output to overcome a sealed-off trunk of a large 4-door sedan. This is for a sealed enclosure, stepping up to a single 12", with around 500-600 watts available. I love and have used PG amps for a while, but never gave PG subs a second thought. Now I am.
lukeman269

Post by lukeman269 »

sunshinefc3s wrote:
lukeman269 wrote:I live just north of Minneapolis in Blaine
We're neighbors... Plymouth.
Ohh nice! It's cool to find out forum members live nearby.
Mr. Wild

Post by Mr. Wild »

You should try Audison subs if you want great SQ and good power handling. The AV12 sounds really really good in a 1cuft sealed enclosure and can take up to 1kW.
I was immediately surprised how "right" this sub sounds and how forceful the sound is. I'm used to sealed subs sounding accurate yet lacking the grunt I like. The AV12 VOCE is a pleasent exception to this and it's a real keeper to me.

ANd also I like the unusual design of the sub. I can tell a lot of thought and engineering has gone into it. Here's a picture of the motor after I removed the magnet boot.
Attachments
2014-10-19-679.jpg
--
M50, MS275, MPS2500, ZX450, ZPA0.3
knightrider358

Post by knightrider358 »

lukeman269 wrote:Really depends on the application, but I think they lean more towards sq. Every PG sub sounds different, and they have a few different lines. The Ti Elite line would compare to JL Audio's W7. The W7 and Ti Elite sound completely different, but they are in the same class of big sql style subs.

The PG Ti line of subs compare to that of Alpine Type R, JL Audio w6v2 or v3. Again, they sound completely different from each other but I would consider them to be in the same category for mid level/above average style sq woofers.

I had a pair of PG Rsdc 12" subs and they got low and loud. Probably not over 140db but plenty loud for the average guy. They were very good sounding subs and they didn't need ridiculous power to get loud either.
Id agree w lukeman 100%....... Ive had all diff types of subs from pg and other manuf..

My top3 with eveything in mind money and sound would prob be (no paticular order and not just pg)

Id idmax
Pg rsdc
Alpine type r

Prob my overall fav budget sub would the rsdc.

Itll take gobs of power and get stupid low and stupid loud!
Current 1 of 2 current installs

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Sub-3 JL 10w6v1ae's sealed
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

my top 2 would be
Boston pro 12.5lf and a clarion ssw1201 both great subs

http://www.clarion.com/ca/en/products/2 ... 58087.html

most people don't know about the clarion as this was only made for Canada
I have a set of mid in my suv and they sound just as good as my jl zr set
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

I also agree with Luke and nightrider ..Depends on the sound your looking for and my 2 favorite subs to date in the correct sealed box is:

PG Elite2 (12D4) currently running and is a monster in a 1.3ft^3 box ...low, loud and accurate. Pics of the new setup attached ... :twisted:
IDMAX or IDQ - Both are incredible subs ...low, loud and accurate
Attachments
TI212D4 ...worth a look.
TI212D4 ...worth a look.
11224870_929177650455282_4071194185813978582_o.jpg
11061691_929177653788615_3325081731728816391_o.jpg
20150705_111153_resized (1280x720).jpg
20150705_111206_resized (1280x720).jpg
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
sunshinefc3s

Post by sunshinefc3s »

Thanks guys, really appreciate all the advice.

I was on Craigslist yesterday, and found a guy who had a BNIB Boston Acoustics 12" G5 sub. I really like Bostons and have been using G3 10" subs in other installs, so I was quick to pick this one up. Guy was a really cool dude to boot.
Anyways, will upload pix at some point.
Thanks again!
lukeman269

Post by lukeman269 »

That dude out in Monticello? I saw all the brand new stuff he had. Tons of stuff just sitting around lol. Good prices too! I like g5s. I have had a couple. Very similar to the jl w6v2 with slightly more output.
sunshinefc3s

Post by sunshinefc3s »

Yup, that's the guy. Glad to hear that...I was tempted to run the JL due to perfirmanc, but just didn't want the same sub everyone else has.
lukeman269

Post by lukeman269 »

sunshinefc3s wrote:Yup, that's the guy. Glad to hear that...I was tempted to run the JL due to perfirmanc, but just didn't want the same sub everyone else has.
Exactly! I hate having the same stuff as everyone else! Not too many people have Phoenix gold around here. Or Boston acoustics for that matter. You should get a passive radiator for your G5. I loved mine when I had it. Lots of output with even a small enclosure.
dako

Post by dako »

dvnt88 wrote:I also agree with Luke and nightrider ..Depends on the sound your looking for and my 2 favorite subs to date in the correct sealed box is:

PG Elite2 (12D4) currently running and is a monster in a 1.3ft^3 box ...low, loud and accurate. Pics of the new setup attached ... :twisted:
IDMAX or IDQ - Both are incredible subs ...low, loud and accurate
That Elite2 looks killer in that setup!! It makes my Fi Q look like it's wearing baby diapers. :shock: I was in car audio hibernation while these were out, and am totally kicking myself for never picking one up. I'm definitely going to snag the newer version whenever it happens to come out. I miss the feeling of having double kick drums pound the hell out of me. :lol:
2007 Scion Tc
Kenwood DDX9907XR
JL Audio TwK88
JL Audio HD900/5
Morel Virtus 602
IDQ12 V.4 D2 Sealed
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

sunshinefc3s wrote:Thanks guys, really appreciate all the advice.

I was on Craigslist yesterday, and found a guy who had a BNIB Boston Acoustics 12" G5 sub. I really like Bostons and have been using G3 10" subs in other installs, so I was quick to pick this one up. Guy was a really cool dude to boot.
Anyways, will upload pix at some point.
Thanks again!

That sub is going to give you all that you need or/and can handle. The G5 is an amazing animal that is becoming more rare these days. May I also recommend Diamond Audio Macdaddy 12 for SQ and can handle a substantial amount of power.
Renovatio

Post by Renovatio »

You know, 200 rms. is plenty for sq installation. The lighter materials are used in sub construction, the faster it is, more sensitive and better for sq. It blends with acoustic in a low volume. This is the big problem of other subs that are not so sensitive. The box has an influence on sub performance too, sealed and bandpass often used for sq installs.
Sounds like music...
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Renovatio wrote:You know, 200 rms. is plenty for sq installation. The lighter materials are used in sub construction, the faster it is, more sensitive and better for sq. It blends with acoustic in a low volume. This is the big problem of other subs that are not so sensitive. The box has an influence on sub performance too, sealed and bandpass often used for sq installs.
A lighter cone/moving assembly (MMS) does NOT mean a "faster" driver. 60hz is 60hz no matter what the driver MMS is. Adding or removing weight to the moving assembly affects the resonant frequency of the driver. Bl is a better indicator of speaker sensitivity as it indicates how much of the voice coil is within the magnetic gap. http://www.bcae1.com/speaker.htm
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
hot9dog

Post by hot9dog »

I currently have a Elite2 2ohm in my car, 2.2 cu ft @ 29 hz being powered by an Elite.5 sub section, this driver is the most detailed sub ive listened to hands down. The new Elite2 sub is a check mark in the win column. This is a great SQ sub. My PG dealer has this same sub in an SPL orientated box at his shop and it gets fricken loud!!! at it is still quite musical ! This weekend Im going to be building another box for my car, it will be orientated towards more output. The current box in my car sounds amazing but lacks output, so ive been modeling several different boxes trying to find a good balance. The new box will be 2.8 cu ft tuned @ 35 hz. The gain graphs on my software show a very promising response .....
But to answer this question if PG subs lean towards SQ or SPL.... I would have to answer its SQL.... the motor force is there, the throw is there and the light weight voice coil is there.... Ive listened to ALOT of different subs over the years- the new ELITE2 is my new "go to"