How are Silver Flute mids working out for you?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
machinemike

How are Silver Flute mids working out for you?

Post by machinemike »

I am considerng buying two pairs of silver flute 6.5 mids to replace the mids in my old kicker resolution component sets. I noticed some of you are running them. How do you like them? Do they work OK in an infinite baffle? Have read reviews of them and the few negatives I have read say they don't do well in IB, most others say different.
Current project: 2003 dodge ram 2500 qclb 4x4 h.o. diesel 6 speed
Planning to use most of my old stuff and buy some new.
Kicker r25 tweets with silver flute 6.5s front and rear active running off two zx450s. Two mid 90s 12" kicker comp vr subs that I need to replace the surrounds on running off ti800.1, may swap out to zx500, still need to get a cap and various other stuff.
Renovatio

Re: How are Silver Flute mids working out for you?

Post by Renovatio »

Do they beat scans speak? i would changed my mind and buy scans :)
Sounds like music...
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

I am also curious to hear opinions on these mids. I have heard all good things and the price is hard to beat.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
oilworker

Post by oilworker »

They are amazing drivers for the $. Not really fair to compare a low cost driver to a scanspeak but I can say that they sound just as good as a lot of higher cost speakers. They are used in some very expensive home speakers as well.
machinemike

Post by machinemike »

Well, I bought four of them, waiting to go in the truck. Will post with how they turn out. Gonna try to remember to take pics of my install as I go. I am excited, have two zx450s so I can have a channel for each mid and tweet, always had passive crossovers in my older installs. Also found a used sub box for my truck on Craigslist and got a pair of bonus infinity kappa perfect 12s with it.
Kicker r25 tweets with silver flute 6.5s front and rear active running off two zx450s. Two mid 90s 12" kicker comp vr subs that I need to replace the surrounds on running off ti800.1, may swap out to zx500, still need to get a cap and various other stuff.
knightrider358

Post by knightrider358 »

I ran a set of 8" mid bass in a huge ported box off 200rms on my bench setup.....not ideal but they sounded pretty damn good!

Ive heard the 6.5's and own a set....best affordable mids out there...hands down.... I wouldnt xover the 6.5's any lower than about 60hz @ 16db slope as they will bottom out w 75w+
Current 1 of 2 current installs

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Sub-3 JL 10w6v1ae's sealed
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

Haven't been here in a while, sorry.

I've been running the SF's longer then anyone I know, just over 5 yrs now. I love the sound of them and would compare them to the Hybrid Audio L6's. The down side, these really need a sealed enclosure to work/sound properly. I have run mine in a .15cf sealed enclosure from anywhere between 50-160 wrms. I've played them from 50Hz @ 12dB/oct HP to 4kHz @12dB/oct LP. They are down low so I didn't notice much beaming at higher freqs that others have complained about. I currently run them from 50Hz @ 12dB/oct HP to 500Hz @12dB/oct LP and run Sundown Audio SA2.75FR 2 3/4" fullrange mids from 500Hz up. They are currently only getting 50wrms from a Clarion APA4200 amp. Soon to be getting more, just not sure what amp yet.

A friend ran the 5 1/4" SF's in his S10 IB and they bottomed out VERY easily. Crossed over at 100Hz @12dB/oct HP at 50wrms.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
machinemike

Post by machinemike »

I have the 6.5s planning to run them around 100-3500 w/ 24 db slope. Install keeps getting pushed back by other projects.