Phoenix Gold EQ230 modified?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
sussexjohn

Phoenix Gold EQ230 modified?

Post by sussexjohn »

Hi i bought this way back in 2002 from a car audio shop i always used and spent loads with, it was from their demo car, paid around £600.00 for it back then,and come with the TBA1 and balanced cable as well, it has never been powered up since i had it just left wrapped in bubble and in a box

my question is any ideas what the mod could be for?

i did contact them to see if they can remember but as you can imagine 13yr ago is a log time.

the plugs are all phoenix gold and the holes are drilled with gromets so all done properly

also what are the value of these nowdays as im never going to use it as not doing a SQ build
Attachments
rsz_img_20150829_200924 (1).jpg
kg1961
Got wood?

Re: Phoenix Gold EQ230 modified?

Post by kg1961 »

I have never seen that nor do I think pg did it. I can't figure out why someone would need to
as for price one just sold last week on the forum for $80us just for the eq230 the tba is another 40
the price on the eq are normally 100-200
if you don't have the remote for the bass cube is not worth anything as it doesn't work without it
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
sussexjohn

Post by sussexjohn »

i do have the remote and cable for the bass cube, there just not in the pic , need to find the power connector for the bass cube though, watched one sell on the uk ebay for £75.00 just for the bass cube
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

The extra wired female RCA's are perhaps and extra output (don't know if its bypass or tied to the eq's output RCAs). It should fetch anywhere from 100-200 and the TBA 40, the BassCube with remote should get you 125 for it (perhaps more if you're willing to wait for the right buyer).
sussexjohn

Post by sussexjohn »

thanks Ricky,

if i was to remove the case cover and take a pic would it help at all ? i dont have an install at the moment so cant even test it
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Yep...it should show if its tied in to the input or the EQ's output.
sussexjohn

Post by sussexjohn »

so from what i can see its to replace the output phonos,

and i spoke to the shop today wherei got it from 13yr ago who said this

We guess from memory it was to over come a RCA issue on the PCB

so looks about right so will this effect the price much?
Attachments
IMG_20150909_214628.jpg
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

makes no sense to me why they did it unless the regular outputs went bad and they didn't have a spare and needed to fix it fast.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
sussexjohn

Post by sussexjohn »

to overcome a PCB issue they said, so YES i would assume there was an issue with the onboard outputs
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

If that mod was to overcome bad outputs they most likely would have just added jumpers to new rca jacks I think. That makes me think the dangly set is a spliced in, extra set of outputs. The thing I dont understand is if they were trying to avoid using Y splitters, why make the extra set hang way off the front like that?

Personally, I think the mod hurts the value.

One thing that intrigues me is the fact it is a 230 with the later squiggly logo. Every 230 I have seen is in the earlier blue and gold color scheme. Like the TBA there.

I have an EQ230 in blue and gold, but it has the later square ZPA style balanced input/output. It is silkscreened as the round plug though so it is modded as well i guess. It too came directly from a local shop and in fact still had their label on it from their soundboard.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces