RCA Cables - make or buy?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
NotDeafYet

RCA Cables - make or buy?

Post by NotDeafYet »

I didn't want to hijack another thread, so I started my own. Someone with a shortbus(hehehe) avatar mentioned making RG6 interconnects. I had been dwelling the idea, as speakers and cables are the only things left to complete my gear for my build.

I have a few hundred feet of new RG6 in the garage. Buying RCA ends and making my cables does sound appealing.

Anybody have opinions on this? Personal experience? The RG6 isn't the most flexible stuff to work with...

I guess making cables has it's accomplishment allure to it.. anybody can buy stuff and use it. What kind of premade RCA cable would compare to home made RCAs?

Ebay has this.. at a first glance/search: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-24-F-Fem ... 1464426811 ... only need to add F connectors to the RG6 and voila.

In using compression type F fittings, this tool seems to be simple enough: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compression-Too ... 1651265319

Is nickel better than gold plated? Or should gold plated be the De Facto standards?
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Re: RCA Cables - make or buy?

Post by Eric D »

I would not use RG6 in a car stereo. Parallel signal wires don't reject noise enough.

You can buy bulk twisted pair signal wire and then solder your own RCA jacks on them. I did just that when I installed my system. It is also nice to have your signal cables be the exact length you need, instead of having to spool up extra somewhere. Look for microphone cable to find what you need.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

I used microphone cable and made my own. I even got fancy terminals. I would say yes make your own, but don't go fancy on the terminals. Get some middle of the road terminals that will not come loose or break off, but avoid the high end locking ones. Also consider ones that are shorter and/or maybe 90 degree ones.

There are overkill and totally not necessary: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1397430130

This is what I have, also overkill but they are nice: http://www.parts-express.com/parts-expr ... --091-1065

These are cheap and will likely become loose and fall out: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1563109575

Some good examples: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1684076623

http://www.parts-express.com/gold-rca-s ... y--091-056
http://www.parts-express.com/rca-plug-n ... d--090-255
http://www.parts-express.com/switchcraf ... l--093-148
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I totally agree to avoid the locking ones. If you get those and are not careful, you can damage the RCA jacks on a lot of amps (rip the outer ring off).

I have found it difficult to find RCAs that fit "just right".
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Yup Eric is right. It's either too tight or to loose. The best ones that I've used are the Phoenix gold QLX series but good luck finding any around.

If only someone made an amp that used HDMI for interconnects...
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

vwdude wrote:Yup Eric is right. It's either too tight or to loose. The best ones that I've used are the Phoenix gold QLX series but good luck finding any around.

If only someone made an amp that used HDMI for interconnects...
I personally think the old RJ45 balanced connectors on PG amps were the way to go. RJ45 is cheap, small, and positively locks into place.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Yup but it wasnt designed to withstand the vibrations in the car environment. Not specifically the connector but the solid state cable.
Renovatio

Post by Renovatio »

For one of my latest installs i have used Tasker 128c cable with Neutrik jacks. Jacks fitted very good, did not rape amp grounding circles.
Sounds like music...
NotDeafYet

Post by NotDeafYet »

Analogue is warmer to me than digital.. the bass is different. In my home audio setup, I can tell the difference.

I like the RJ45 idea too - the connection is spring loaded, and I can't see how vibrations would affect the connection...

I'm not wanting to build my cables for the being stingy part.. im already north of 3000$ on my components when I'll be done.. a few extra bucks for cables won't show up LOL. It's just the making it myself factor...

Can't make my amps though. Ha. Or speakers.

I use locking RCAs in my home setup... but access and cable management is a totally different thing when I have full access to the back of my stack... and velcro strapping is godsent!

One of my main concerns for making my own interconnects is the length of the actual RCA connector - behind the deck. There's so little room back there... if any RCA jack is going to get munched, it'll be on the deck end. Besides.. once the gear's in the car, how often would I be messing with the cables? Once all my stuff is installed, the only messing with will be replacing one of the M50s with a better cosmetic condition'd one when I find it.

I'm assuming I can find shorties for RCA connectors? At least for the back of the deck, where nobody sees them. I can get fancy ones for looks for the gear part in the hatch.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

vwdude wrote:I used microphone cable and made my own. I even got fancy terminals. I would say yes make your own, but don't go fancy on the terminals. Get some middle of the road terminals that will not come loose or break off, but avoid the high end locking ones. Also consider ones that are shorter and/or maybe 90 degree ones.

This is what I have, also overkill but they are nice: http://www.parts-express.com/parts-expr ... --091-1065
I also use those style. I prefer the locking type connectors because as Eric mentioned, it is difficult to find RCA's that fit the terminal with the correct amount of pressure. With the locking style, you can insert the plug into the jack loose, and tighten to your desired level. Removal is simple, just in reverse order. I have several pairs of PG ARX cables and those are so tight that I have to use pliers to pull them off! They also like to pull out the RCA outer connectors on older M style amps and EQ's.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

I still rock a fresh set of these in all my installs because they always fit cozy and I don't have to break out the soldering kit to achieve worthwhile results. Work less rock more :metal:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTX-THUNDERLINK ... SwPhdU-G6K
NOT 2 OLD YET

Post by NOT 2 OLD YET »

Eric D wrote:I totally agree to avoid the locking ones. If you get those and are not careful, you can damage the RCA jacks on a lot of amps (rip the outer ring off).

I have found it difficult to find RCAs that fit "just right".
I was taught a little secret years ago. A very thin layer of the MSD Sparkgaurd on the jacks will keep it from damaging the outer ring. I have been doing it for years with no problems. Its just to keep it lubed.
Collection And Still Growing:
M-100, 50,2,44s, and 25
RT 66 #0840, Outlaw#1005, Bandit#1884, MQ430
MS2125, MS275, MS 2250 W/shroud 3MPS2500, 2 MPS2240 Custom MPS4740
EQ215, EQ215ix,EQ 230 W/TBAt, ZX600TI, 400TI, TI500.4
2 PLD1, MX2, 2 Leather Team PG Jackets
TBA (Dealer Display Empty Guts)10'XS Subs
AX204, 406 (New In Box)
Eclipse ECD413 + DSP1001 , 2 JL 8W6
Installed: PG MPS2500 and Modified By PG MQ430
ZBB34TI With ZRDT3, and RMD
Audison Bit 10
PG Elite and Sapphire 6.5 Comps
JL 13TW5 subs
NotDeafYet

Post by NotDeafYet »

I spent a bit of time shopping online to see if I could find stubby diy rca connectors.. didn't really find any, yet.

Anybody got a link to some? I'll keep looking too. Lots of nice stuff out there.. so many choices.. hehehe.

And good call on the lubing of the jacks.. that's a good idea.
NotDeafYet

Post by NotDeafYet »

Anybody get or read Allen Wright's SuperCables CookBook?

Been reading online.. came across this guy in posts, and heard of his book.
brenzbmr@sb
Booty Connoisseur

Post by brenzbmr@sb »

here is something you may want to check out.

http://www.ddaudio.com/products/accesso ... rca-system
You may have subs in your car........but my doors sound better!
NotDeafYet

Post by NotDeafYet »

brenzbmr@sb wrote:here is something you may want to check out.

http://www.ddaudio.com/products/accesso ... rca-system
NICE. They look like stubby rca connectors too - perfect for behind the deck. Cables look nice. No soldering. Very appealing!!

Sent them an email. And it's also a bonus that they have a Canadian dealer - no cross border BS.

Thanks for that link... seems like a very very trouble free path for making custom length cables. Might even have leftovers for the winter beater hehehe.
NotDeafYet

Post by NotDeafYet »

Called this week for pricing on this Z-Wire diy stuff. 250foot spool is 239$US. Pack of 50 rca ends is 109$US.

There's a few Canadian distributors. $ Exchange blows - full spool/connector pack would run ~500CDN$, shipped, for 250 feet. A shop in Alberta sells by the foot and individual rca ends vs having to buy the spool and pack of rcas. 5$/ft & 6$/connector.

Guy I spoke to, loves the system. Says it's only a month old/released... So he hasn't had tons of builds using them, but has fondled them.

Now knowing the cost.. What do you all think... Worth it? Decent? Pricey?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

my biggest concern is the longterm reliability of them with out any kind of connection that will protect it from corrosion. Even the best ofc wire after enough time will start to corrode and when it does on a signal cable a slight change in resistance can make a big difference this early in the signal(pre-amplifier). How long are you planning on keeping this? I would be afraid you are the long-term beta tester for the stuff myself and would just go the old rout myself unless you are just afraid to solder.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
NotDeafYet

Post by NotDeafYet »

Not afraid to solder... And that's what I put on my Xmas list.. A good adjustable soldering iron :)

So you think I'd be a guinea pig.. Hmm..

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I see the only benefit of these being the lack of soldering that scares some newbs. If you can find someone that says that in 5-10 yrs from now that the connection is still as good as it would be today I will listen but otherwise I would need someone to show me to believe it and will be soldering all my connections in the future.
onecrazy95civic

Post by onecrazy95civic »

Made all mine so I didn't have to coil them all over the place, etc... But you got to be sure of your soldering and do a lot test them and re-test them because it sucks when one of them let go and you got to figure which one it's!!! lol...But aside that always made mine and never had any problems.
PHOENIX GOLD
1.Reactor x3 #109, #407 & #496
2.Ti EQ30 x2
3.TiBasscube
4.TiDD10
5.TiPowercore 20
6.TLD66
7.Ti15 DVC x2
8.Ti5 Elite x4
9.Ti9 Elite
10.R-Link boxes x6 w/digital guages x12
11. Ti Distribution blocks (Power x4 & Ground x1)
ALPINE
1.TME-M750a x5
2.TMX-R1000 x3
OTHERS
1. IPAD 2
2. 32" LED Screen
3. PS3
NotDeafYet

Post by NotDeafYet »

onecrazy95civic wrote:Made all mine so I didn't have to coil them all over the place, etc... But you got to be sure of your soldering and do a lot test them and re-test them because it sucks when one of them let go and you got to figure which one it's!!! lol...But aside that always made mine and never had any problems.
What's been your choice of wire and connectors?
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

NotDeafYet wrote:Not afraid to solder... And that's what I put on my Xmas list.. A good adjustable soldering iron :)

So you think I'd be a guinea pig.. Hmm..

I say nothing ventured, nothing gained. If everyone was afraid to try new things, we wouldn't have to worry about car audio because we'd still be using horse and carriage! :D
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I am making my own as well not only because I hate extra wires but also because its so thick it would be a bitch. Nothing but the best of course with 9mm super triple shielded wire and silver ends both via PG of course...
onecrazy95civic

Post by onecrazy95civic »

NotDeafYet wrote:
onecrazy95civic wrote:Made all mine so I didn't have to coil them all over the place, etc... But you got to be sure of your soldering and do a lot test them and re-test them because it sucks when one of them let go and you got to figure which one it's!!! lol...But aside that always made mine and never had any problems.
What's been your choice of wire and connectors?
PG connectors with one QLX RCA cable spool...oooh and also pre-made QLX RCA cable cut at the lenght needed so this way I only had two ends to solder versus 4...;) And if you are going to venture on that road...be patient!
PHOENIX GOLD
1.Reactor x3 #109, #407 & #496
2.Ti EQ30 x2
3.TiBasscube
4.TiDD10
5.TiPowercore 20
6.TLD66
7.Ti15 DVC x2
8.Ti5 Elite x4
9.Ti9 Elite
10.R-Link boxes x6 w/digital guages x12
11. Ti Distribution blocks (Power x4 & Ground x1)
ALPINE
1.TME-M750a x5
2.TMX-R1000 x3
OTHERS
1. IPAD 2
2. 32" LED Screen
3. PS3