how do you ship?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

how do you ship?

Post by ttocs »

I need to ship out my octane LE. I wish it had some kind of flight case to make protecting it easier as the more I look at this thing the more I wonder what is needed to safely ship it internationally? I have never shipped an amp like this internationally and the more I look at it the more I am afraid it will be delivered as a crumpled mess. If it wasn't going internationally I would consider crating it but I need to keep costs down. I am afraid of the power/rca inputs getting hit and broke as is commonly done as well as the amp possibly moving and crushing the wire shroud. Any help?

I have some pm's to catch up on if your waiting for a reply. I got out of my most recent hospital trip and got the worst head cold I can remember in 20 yrs that is just now clearing up.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
vwdude

Re: how do you ship?

Post by vwdude »

I hope you are feeling better Scott.

You can use a pool noodle to protect the terminals. I just take pieces of cardboard and bond them over the terminals and tape them in place for protection. Maybe stop in to Home Depot or Costco and see if they have any boxes that will fit the size you need. I'd use lots and lots of bubble wrap, and I also use high density foam from Home Depot (carpet department) and cut it to size. That stuff absorbs shocks really well.

Check out www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

man I swear I have not had a head/chest cold this bad for EVER! Spent two days with my head buried in pillows to block all the light as the head ache got worse with light. If it ain't one thing its another, the insurance wants to deny this last stay... gotta love it.

Anyway I have some foam panels I think I can use that is put in a box in a certain way to make a cooler out of them and I think I will also mount the amp/shroud to some kind of wood/board to keep the edges protected.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
NotDeafYet

Post by NotDeafYet »

Double bag the item.

Custom cut foam to protect terminals.

Bubble wrap at will.

Custom cut cardboard pannels. I prefer triple thick panels.

Duct tape all seams.

Completely envelope the whole thing with clear packing tape, 2 folds.

Minimized size for shipping. But the weight of the amp, with the custom cut panels, you can even afford to add extra bubble wrap around the amp, and go bigger on the pkg size. If you use a shipping calculator, online, you can see that the box dimensions can increase, with the same weight, and not affect the shipping cost. You'll find the threshold of when the box size, with the constant weight number, start to affect the shipping cost.

I recon you can put 3 inches of bubble wrap all around, with triple custom cut panels, and it'll get to mars in a demolition derby style ride. :)

I'm a HUGE fan of kitty litter boxes.. very very sturdy, fiberglass laced cardboard. I save them for special shipments.