Xenon Fan Replacement

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
dwnrodeo

Xenon Fan Replacement

Post by dwnrodeo »

I powered up my X200.4 and X100.2 in my new install recently and the fan noise from the X200.4 is extremely audible (even after the initial full power up), more than what I deem is acceptable. I tried researching the fan size/info on here and the only information I could find was a picture of a X200.2 fan that Eric D was having trouble with (shown below). Image
From his picture I could obtain the size and specifications:

12V Brushless DC Cooling Fan
60x60x20mm High Speed Sleeve Bearing
Dynatron (Top Motor) DF1206SH or DF126020SH
FN-6020S-2P-H-D396
Size: 60x60x20mm
Bearing System: Sleeve Bearing
Rated Voltage: 12V
Input Current: 0.23A
Input Power: 2.76W
Speed: 4800 +/- 10% RPM
Air Flow: 20.85 CFM
Static Pressure: 5.88 mm-H2O
Noise Level: 33.00 dBA

Do you think I would be O.K. using a fan with these specifications? I quick ordered three fans with these specifications, not realizing I was looking at the low air volume model from the above manufacturer instead of the high volume model that the Xenons use. I'm worried only about input current and not CFM.

Orion OD6020-12MS
Bearing System: Sleeve Bearing
Input Current: 0.13A
Speed: 3900 RPM
Air Flow: 15 CFM
Noise Level: 26 dBA
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
dwnrodeo

Re: Xenon Fan Replacement

Post by dwnrodeo »

Lucky for me, the fans I ordered were on back order and I could cancel my order.

I found this fan that should fit the bill better:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Del ... NRUg%3d%3d

60x60x20mm High Speed Sleeve Bearing
Dynatron (Top Motor) DF1206SH or DF126020SH
FN-6020S-2P-H-D396
Bearing System: Ball Bearing
Input Current: .18A
Input Power: 2.16W
Speed: 4800 +/- 10% RPM
Air Flow: 19.78 CFM
Static Pressure: 5.88 mm-H2O
Noise Level: 33.00 dBA

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
freudie1

Post by freudie1 »

I'm curious how this will work out.

Indeed I find that the fans on the Xenon's are quite loud.

The main issue I see (with both our situations) is that the amp is the same space as the listener (trucks have that characteristic unless you do some bed mounted/blow through setup).

In other words, you are going to hear fans unless you have these in a car with a "proper" trunk install. You should hear the X1200.1 when it gets going, reminds me of servers firing up in a datacenter. My solution? Install horns and turn the volume up. :)
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

freudie1 wrote:I'm curious how this will work out.

Indeed I find that the fans on the Xenon's are quite loud.

The main issue I see (with both our situations) is that the amp is the same space as the listener (trucks have that characteristic unless you do some bed mounted/blow through setup).

In other words, you are going to hear fans unless you have these in a car with a "proper" trunk install. You should hear the X1200.1 when it gets going, reminds me of servers firing up in a datacenter. My solution? Install horns and turn the volume up. :)
I agree, the issue is the amps are in the same space as the listener, however, my X100.2 (brand new) is noticeably quieter than the X200.4 (used for 8 years). The Xenon's use sleeve bearing fans and I'm going to switch the X200.4's out for ball bearing types that should provide better reliability. I don't mind hearing some fan noise, but there is a humming noise on startup that is not the sound of a fan pushing air.

I have tried this while driving down the road, and the road noise is enough to drown out the fan noise. It's only when I'm stationary does it bother me. I figure it's a cheap fix that shouldn't take too long to execute. It would have been nice when the amps weren't in the vehicle, but hindsight is 20/20.

I won't do it until I finish the rest of my install, but I'll keep everyone updated on the results (if anyone cares).

freudie1

Post by freudie1 »

I care....I want to know if it quiets things down.

My situation is more the sheer air flow sounds under the amp rack.

Curious, I thought I read it was a major undertaking to remove the fans from Xenons. From that picture you posted it looks easy.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Yes, looking at Eric's picture, it should only take four screws to remove. My biggest hurdle is my amps are already installed and could be a pain to remove the bottom screws on the cover without removing them from the rack.

I've tried finding fans that come close to the current draw of the originals with lower dbA's, but the best I could find was equal to the dbA's produced.

I will update everyone when I get around to doing it.

ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

just out of curiosity did you try mounting it better or cleaning it? Recently when I swapped the caps on my octane when I powered it up to test it I was scared as hell as the fan was making a horrible squeeking noise. It was strange that when I touched the upper right corner of the fan that the noise stoppped. Under closer inspection it was a combination of some of my dogs hair that it had sucked up and that it wasn't mounted as tight as it needed to be. I blew some air through it and then tightened it down and then it was nice and quiet. I was sure the bearing had gone out on it but it was not.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Before I installed it, I did take the cover off and check things over. Everything was surprisingly clean.

NotDeafYet

Post by NotDeafYet »

if you go to a decent computer store... you can get any size fan you want. You can pick brands. Quality. Anything you want.