MS2250 does this amp have a crossover?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
gqtrebor

Re: MS2250 does this amp have a crossover?

Post by gqtrebor »

Never thought of that I'll have to order those now too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I could be wrong on these points so if anyone knows otherwise, please chime in...

-35mm high caps on an MS amp will rub on the plexi window, causing damage too it over time.

-The MS2250 does not use sil-pads, and instead relies on its anodizing for insulation.

I have seen PG repaired MS2250s having anodized sheets added between the parts, instead of sil-pads. From your photos it also looks like the power supply has sil-pads, but the output section does not.

Unless a sil-pad is damaged when removed, I always use them again. I have never personally had a problem doing this, nor have I received an amplifier back related to this which I had repaired.

When you reuse the sil-pad, its performance may be degraded, but since these parts are running far from extremes, it should not be an issue. If this was being used on an Intel CPU, then I would certainly be changing out the sil-pads with each removal.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
gqtrebor

Post by gqtrebor »

I should just take this in to a shop to get done sounds like a pain in my butt lol, I ordered the 35mm ones and if there to big I don't at this point want to ruin my plexi. Might be worth just taking in to have someone else deal with it.

RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

There are a couple of guys who do amp repairs here. I would get someone who knows what they are doing amp looks to be in great shape no need to possibly mess it up.
gqtrebor

Post by gqtrebor »

I'm fine I work with electronics my whole life used to do bord repair just lazy haha

trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

The rail caps are also 35mm...so replacing the B+ input filter caps with 30mm won't make much of a difference since the rails are still 35mm. Your plexi is most likely to rub on the rail caps anyways and that's where your PG logo is at, I wouldn't worry about the B+ filter caps rubbing on the plexi as there's no graphics there.

I just looked at the PS fets and notice the silpads that's why I recommended him to purchase some..those are not easy to get apart (have to be patient and use a heat gun)...first try or two will damage the silpads.

Sorry if I cause any confusion. Some MS amps use different rails and capacitance rails that are 30mm (according to model).
gqtrebor

Post by gqtrebor »

trickyricky wrote:The rail caps are also 35mm...so replacing the B+ input filter caps with 30mm won't make much of a difference since the rails are still 35mm. Your plexi is most likely to rub on the rail caps anyways and that's where your PG logo is at, I wouldn't worry about the B+ filter caps rubbing on the plexi as there's no graphics there.

I just looked at the PS fets and notice the silpads that's why I recommended him to purchase some..those are not easy to get apart (have to be patient and use a heat gun)...first try or two will damage the silpads.

Sorry if I cause any confusion. Some MS amps use different rails and capacitance rails that are 30mm (according to model).

i was looking up the Sil pads how do i know which size to buy?
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I don't use a heat gun to remove the sil-pads, I use a hex key to remove the FETs from the heatsink, and this seldom damages the pads. Most of the time they remain attached to the FET, and end up going right back were they were when I put the amp back together.

How ever you slice it, working on MS amps sucks. They are a pain compared to most other PG amp designs. I especially hate having to pull all the screws and the board just to fix an amp with a broke off RCA wire. :doh:
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Your lucky Eric, I tear at least two on any MS amp hence why I just recommend replacing all pads while at it. But if you get as lucky as Eric then you won't have to purchase any.

I completely agree with Eric, the MS is the worse to service/repair, the disassembling and assembling part can be a real nightmare especially if you break a transistor mounting screw.

As for what size, well look up the data sheet of any of those large transistors that are mounted to the sink and in the data sheet it will give you exact dimensions.
gqtrebor

Post by gqtrebor »

trickyricky wrote:Your lucky Eric, I tear at least two on any MS amp hence why I just recommend replacing all pads while at it. But if you get as lucky as Eric then you won't have to purchase any.

I completely agree with Eric, the MS is the worse to service/repair, the disassembling and assembling part can be a real nightmare especially if you break a transistor mounting screw.

As for what size, well look up the data sheet of any of those large transistors that are mounted to the sink and in the data sheet it will give you exact dimensions.

I just ended up buying a sheet of silicon, if i mess one up I'll just cut it to size. good thing is my local computer shop sells them....
gqtrebor

Post by gqtrebor »

Caps on order, New iron on order...

Now its a waiting game.....
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Good luck and remember when powering up for the first time after recapping it use a 5amp fuse for protection just in case you something went wrong. It should not pop a 5amp ATC fuse upon start up and idle.
gqtrebor

Post by gqtrebor »

Okay noted.

gqtrebor

Post by gqtrebor »

Wow ordered caps last night they are in already friggin crazy

trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Who you order from and how much was shipping?
gqtrebor

MS2250 does this amp have a crossover?

Post by gqtrebor »

I get most of my stuff from mouser electronics shipping is 20 to Canada the caps I got were 30 caps cost was 80 or so dollars all said and done they take care of the boarder fees which is nice.

trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Cool, there's a Mouser 15minutes away from my place so I can just drive up there and pick them up but nice to know they can ship next day, am sure that will be the case with me too as said they are pretty close by lol.
gqtrebor

Post by gqtrebor »

Lol it's great for me as usually anything from the states take 2 weeks usually to Canada