The time is near

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
jbob0124

The time is near

Post by jbob0124 »

Hello all Phorum members, it's been quite a while since I've been able to log or post anything. Life can be a little distracting at times. Finally after who knows how long, I've made the decision to put my truck to rest. Hopefully it will carry on into someone's hands along with a little TLC.

With that being said. I'd like to figure out an install for my new vehicle. My thoughts and taste have changed over the years and no longer desire a system that will make my ears bleed or rattle the kid's brains loose. However I would like something better then $200 kit installed next to me at the stop light. When I actually get to it, it will be simple, clean & stealthy. Not crazy about having everything out and in the open.

I'm working with a '16 Ford Edge. It has enough room to work with if I get creative with it. Not too worried about that part. My questions really are about the gear. I currently have enough bells and whistle's too fill the cargo area up, but that's not exactly simple.

The Gear:

2 - ZPA 0.5'S
2 - ZPA 0.3'S
2 - RSDc 12's
1 - Ti 6.5 Elite Comp Set
PLD, TBAt's, EQ232...and a few other misc. pieces

I will keep the two RSDc's and more then likely the 6.5 Comp set, but the rest I think I'd like to replace with something less complex. I would like to get a 2nd set of mids/tweets for the back row seating, not sure if I will search for another ti comp set or just fill with something else. The goal is to simply have a system that sounds nice for everyone, not just the driver.

Any recommendations for the amps or back row speakers? Been a PG fan for the last 20 years, so I'd like to keep it all PG, but I also would rather keep the quality (not sure how PG is today).

Also, does anyone know if I can tap into the current "infotainment" system. Not too sure about the schematics of the newer vehicles these days. I know some of them are all wrapped into Hvac and other misc. controls.
vwdude

Re: The time is near

Post by vwdude »

nice gear. if you dont want to sacrifice on amp quality then id consider the elite series amps. all of them are the same size, so they have a 1, 2, 4, and 5 channel version. Personally, I am running active with just front speakers using a pair of ZPA0.3. I have bought an elite.4 that I plan to replace the two ZPAs with in my next car. If you do go that route, there are upgrades that can be done to the elite amps to help with longevity of life, like upgrading the caps and mosfets.

I can also add your ZPAs to the new registry at www.phoenixgoldregistry.com if you PM me your name, serial numbers and your location (state/country only please).
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
jbob0124

Post by jbob0124 »

Would definitely like to keep the quality, just would like to reduce the amount of gear. Lessen the low end a little and upgrade the mid/high end. If I did go with the elite.5, would that be enough to run the two RSDc's and possibly two sets of Ti 6.5's?

As far as the upgrades to the elite, are they needing upgrading right out of the box? Sorry haven't followed much lately.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

yes, the elite.5 should run all of that fine.

some of the components on the elite amps are really nice, but some some are garbage. My main issue lies with the power supply. The input filter caps and rail caps are cheap Chinese brand (capxcon) and the mosfets are also some Chinese off brand. I have been upgrading the caps with Nichicon and the mosfets with fairchild. Once that's done the amps should be reliable for many years.

recapping them is a pain though and should be left to the professionals. they not only require lots of work to get the board out, but the caps are glued in, so once the solder is removed you have to force them off. if there is anything still connected you will damage the amp.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.