rebuilding an OG ms1000 Nickel

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
JK

Re: rebuilding an OG ms1000 Nickel

Post by JK »

The nickels have MPS end plates... the end plates with the little vents at the top.. I wish I'd known you were using those.. I have a nickel end plate I'd of traded you.. I had some made and didn't realize it..
JK

Post by JK »

You know I bought joerg's Franked ms1000.. that thing would look sick with the 12 channel your making.. I really like the green terroids with the Frank color.. I think it goes good with it.. I also have a Franked dd10..
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

darn I forget that part. I do have a 2500 here smiling at me but I would hate to gut it just for the end caps.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
JK

Post by JK »

2240 is the best one to gut for end plates..
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

would you guys reuse the old silpads or do you replace those? I am going to be franking the 430s and taking them apart and swapping caps on them so I would like to get the parts lined up for a one time order.
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

I would replace them, they are only 40 cents each so it's not like it's breaking the bank. But that is totally up to you, if they don't rip/tear/separate then you could reuse them.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I was planning on it but wanted to make sure. Just need to figure out which ones now. Any recomendations as digikey seems to have a few to choose from.

http://www.digikey.com/products/en/fans ... con%20pads

Also curious on the PG registry it lists 2 caps sizes to replace but they are not the two big 15k microFarad caps. Are those not supposed to be replaced?
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

SP900S-0.009-00-104 will fit both the outputs and mosfets (you can trim them down a bit if you wish to have a clean flush look).

I replace the rail caps on the amps I service, don't have to but after all they are over 20 years old. Am confused with what you are saying regarding the 15,000uf caps...the 2250 doesn't have 15,000uf caps it has four 6800uf 63v snap in rail caps.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

no the 430 has two large 15kmF caps on it. They get changed don't they?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Do the two largest caps on the 430 get changed? I have a parts order of pads/caps open in another window and just not sure about these as they are not listed in the registry page as needing to be repaired.
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

They don't have to be replaced, but I go ahead and replace when I do a cap job I replace all of the electrolytic caps. You may find 18,000 or higher capacitance in that size, just make sure you keep the same voltage rating (25v I believe) if you do plan on replacing them.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Sorry for the confusion going between the 1000/430. I didn't have a post for them so I was just asking here.

I was happy to dropp off the end caps and the press bars to be plated/anodized. He originally said they do not do blue anodizing but today he said they were switching a heater next week that would allow him to do it so I dropped the press bars and the small transistor heat sinks as well.
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

Hi ttocs.

Nice project u´re just going thru here. If u need some parts for your nickel let me know. I´m not asking a ton of money for the parts. I just want them gone since i got no use for the anymore.

Greetz
Joerg
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

the press bars are not done yet as he has to switch some stuff with the heater first but the nickel is done. It looks like in the pics he sent me that it came out like I remember JK's nickel plating looking. It could be better but its the end caps which will not be seen much where I will have it mounted. I would like to put a clear over it all when it is screened to protect it and hope that might help to smooth it out a little bit as well. I am going to keep my eyes open for a mps set of end caps and if I find a set might try to polish them up better prior to plating but I ran them down my buffing wheel one time to see if it would help but not sure. Polishing steel sucks...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

one little detail I could not help on the two 2250's I got was that the green torroids were a slightly different green from each other. I got the extra 2250 parts from joerg and was happy to discover that the torroids that came with it match one of boards already really well and even better yet its the one that has a little more blue in it that I like better.
And after some thought and a slight search I think/hope I have found the mps end caps that are correct to the ms1000. I am going to spend some more time polishing them before they go to nickel plating in hopes of getting a better finish on them. I will use the ones shown above on the 2250 I am putting together with joerg and my left over parts for a custom job.

I also got word that the plexi is done. Its traditional but custom and I will let you chew on that hint till I can get it in hand but it looks killer imo! I also ordered the light strips to highlight it all, can't wait to see it all lit up. Its getting closer and as you can tell my excitement is getting bigger.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

ohhh can't wait its all so close now! I got the stuff from my anodizer and the blue looks amazing. The nickel plating isn't perfect but its not bad and of course now that I got that back I found 2 mps end plates to do. Had to go across one ocean but had some friends hook me up and they are on the way and he is expecting a 2nd set. This set will get moved over to the 2250 I have some plans to customize a little and my guy tells me that if he do some copper on it really thick and then buff it down smooth that we can get a much smoother finish.

The plexi scheduled for thurs but I am hoping to get it tomorrow if it keeps moving.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

love it when fedex comes. I guess my dog does not too as she doesn't even bark at him to warn us of a pending invasion. Plexi came out sweet. The board lay out was laser etched with the plan being when it is lit up it will catch the light in the color emitted. Stay tuned tonight after dark for the night show I know I can't wait to see it.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCdJFcu2C7Y

looks like I need to get some more in the middle but I have an idea for a small PG surfboard display lit up above the fuses/fan board that I will get nickel nickel or maybe gold plated
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Very cool looking!
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Add some more lighting to the primary filter caps....LOOKS awesome.
JK

Post by JK »

That shits looking sick.. I love to motivation... you are determined on this one for sure.. it's coming along good from the looks of it.. happy to see you finally get what you want..
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

Looks Great!!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

got the first of the mps end caps today and go figure yesterday I learned of a guy on the FB page that has a set of end caps he is looking for a sink to fit. Not sure if I am the gate keeper or the key master.....
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I have the parts/caps coming tomorrow and look forward to getting the last couple of parts in the sinks so I can then mount them for good. I thought someone said at one point that the clamp bars had a foam on the back? I am just wanting to confirm this if its true to try and locate it to put them on.
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

For foam you can use self adhesive foam weather stripping. It is just to even out the pressure across multiple devices. In some amps there are smaller TO-220 cased transistors between the large TO-3P cased outputs. If a clamp spans the smaller transistors you sometimes need to put some layers of high density foam on the smaller TO-220's to get good pressure on them.

The lighting looks good, but if you can find a way to edge light the acrylic the engraving will light up 10 times better!

Later,
Jason
M: M100, M44 for a custom amp project
Zx: Zx500, Zx450, Black Zx350
ZxTi: 4 Zx600Ti's, 1 Zx400Ti
Ti: 5 800.1's & 900.7 for a custom amp project. 1 1200.1, 1 1000.2
Tantrum: 2 1200.1's, 1 600.4, 1 500.2
XS: XS6600