Mq430 help please

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
thedeal7235

Mq430 help please

Post by thedeal7235 »

Does anybody have any idea why someone would do this? I sent a picture of it to Eric, and he quoted lazy"- also, can I use the same input caps for the M-series also on the ZX4 50, it has been over eight years since I replaced caps on a ZX series amp. Last question, this is a revision b board, and it has the 2 470 UF @35V caps to the left of the rail caps, do I really need these? Are they like a storage bank like the octane ?
as she walked out the door she expressed, 'enjoy your amp addiction'
trickyricky

Re: Mq430 help please

Post by trickyricky »

My guess would be that they did that to recapp it, lol. The 470uf caps are across the the two + and two - rails, I've seen 430's with it and some without it, can't remember but believe the later revisions didn't utilize them (left them black).
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

Look to the bottom right of the picture, notice anything( look at torid attached to center legs of fets
as she walked out the door she expressed, 'enjoy your amp addiction'
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

would that allow them to solder that torroid back on with it still mounted in the sink?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Thats a mod... Aleks mod which he added more winding to the primary side...BAD ASS if you ask me. You'd have to understand how the power supply works in order to understand why he did that, if you don't like it I have one without those extra windings that I don't mind trading you :lol: :pray:
Mr. Wild

Post by Mr. Wild »

Hmm, I see what someone did there. That's hot-rodding the power supply transformer.
Doubling the primary coils halves the resistive heat losses and allows for a bit more current.
--
M50, MS275, MPS2500, ZX450, ZPA0.3
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Yup looks like a Valex mod on there, and an incomplete recap job. When he did the mods the additional caps were used and are 100% necessary.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

This is an interesting mod, but it would not increase or otherwise improve the output of the amplifier. Additionally, this is just my opinion, but I think it looks pretty ugly.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...