M44 setup questions in 2003 VW Jetta.

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
todd131

M44 setup questions in 2003 VW Jetta.

Post by todd131 »

Hi!

I’m doing a PG build on my 2003 Jetta.

Eclipse cd7200
2 m44
1 zx500
Morel elate 603 3 way set
1 hertz Mille 10 inch woofer.

Ok so to start I don’t understand how to run that eclipse head unit active. I planned on doing this build passive. Open to suggestions/assistance. I understand benefits both ways.

I’m planning on running the m44 amps to run the front set. Are these specs achievable?

4 x 110W @ 2 ohms (13.8V) (Mid and tweeters)
2 x 160W @ 4 ohms bridged (13.8V) (Mid bass)

If so, please help me understand how to set up the amps. I have a set of fans for the 2ohm amp if I need them. Also where should I mount them?

I’m going to run the mille hertz with the zx500 I think lol. I also have a morel 9” woofer I was thinking of mounting up front with a zx250 thoughts?

What power concerns should I consider for this build? I’m doing a big 3 and I have 2 large PG External capacitors Where in the system should I place those. In other words, near the battery or near the amps?

Thanks for any suggestions on This build
Silverhorse

Re: M44 setup questions in 2003 VW Jetta.

Post by Silverhorse »

Hello Todd

If you go active I would do it the same like you suggested, except tweets and mid will be 4 Ohm operation.
Don't think that adding the 9 inch sub will give better sound.
Caps as close a possible to the amps.

If you use the Morel filters you can use them with the tweets and mids running them with one M44 in bridged mode, this will give you more power of the M44.

Give the M44 amps good ventilation, in 2 Ohm mode they get hot (use direct forced cooling)
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

so you want the 44 to run the mid/high up front, the 250 to run the 9s and the 500 for your woofer? Sounds reasonable.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Txsaxkat

Post by Txsaxkat »

I have in the past worried about the different input voltage and matching of the higher output of hi end eclipse units. 8v output into a m44 would get maxed out real quick and then you have the zx which can take more. Active option I guess would give you control of matching those up better but the scale as you ramp the voltage would still be different to some degree right. This is why I have tried to keep amp input voltage ability in the same range with the 8v eclipse head units may be overkill thinking but Im not a pro install guy just DIY. But am a eclipse freak and that is why I picked up some ZPA's and Zapco reference amps for the 8v input.