construction finally starts

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Landcruiser

Re: construction finally starts

Post by Landcruiser »

Ok thanks. I'll be watching this build, cheers.
99 XJ
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

Today I got a start on finishing the inside of the box. I need to work on the acrylic inserts next but hopefully it will not be a big deal.

Tomorrow starts the final four voting for cj's pony parts mustang madness contest. I was lucky to win by a single vote last time and now I am up against a girl with a much larger following. If I can get you guys to take a second out of your time to vote I would appreciate it. Its not live now, It starts up tomorrow(monday) morning around 9 am central time and I will put a link up when it is live. It would mean a lot to me if it won...
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

todays progress I got the acrylic installed, sealed and mounted which took some time for the final fitting. I also got the tubing bent into place that will hide the wire for the woofer that will face into the trunk. I did a quick test to see how it looks lit up and it should be nice when I get the leds mounted in place(next up) and it will not disappoint.
Landcruiser

Post by Landcruiser »

Nice! Sorry man, I forgot to go and vote, looks like it was a close race?
99 XJ
brenzbmr@sb
Booty Connoisseur

Post by brenzbmr@sb »

whoa, been gone for awhile and you have milling machine, NICE!

looks good, i think you will like the morel ultimo 12s. very clean sounding woofers.

keeping tabs on this install.

aloha!
You may have subs in your car........but my doors sound better!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

brenzbmr@sb wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:55 pm whoa, been gone for awhile and you have milling machine, NICE!

looks good, i think you will like the morel ultimo 12s. very clean sounding woofers.

keeping tabs on this install.

aloha!
Yes the addition of the CNC and learning how to use it has made a HUGE difference in upping my install game. I needed something to keep up with you pros. Looking at the last pic I could not help but think it needed one more small detail and a little bit of color. The red pinstripe tape I put on the top just to mark the center line of the box gave me the idea and I have to say I like it.

I also added the rails around the side of the plexi window to hold the leds strips to edge light the plexi. I hope to get them installed and powered up in the next day or two to see if the show is what I hoped.
Landcruiser

Post by Landcruiser »

Looks killer!
99 XJ
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Landcruiser wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:33 pm Looks killer!
Thanks. I have been really happy with it so far and needless to day when I peeled the protective covering off of the plexi for the first time I was
a little happier yet.
Its hard to tell behind the plexi but I also polished and mounted the aluminum pipe that hides the speaker wire. I both felt bad that I was finally opening up this roll of wire and that I was then going to hide it but I got it for this build years ago and its not that I am trying to hide it as much as make it cool so...
Landcruiser

Post by Landcruiser »

Very nice. :)
99 XJ
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

work on this project has slowed a little because I finally was able to get the alignment dowels out of the block to allow me to install offset dowels to correct the run out. Hopefully the rest of it goes well but I did manage to get the first strand of leds in place and I could not resist powering them up. This is the first stage (of 4) in the lighting.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecYGQBiDe_0[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecYGQBiDe_0
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

stage 2 and 3 of the lighting is installed now. Me likey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqZIo5QXMsI
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Landcruiser

Post by Landcruiser »

Looks killer!!
99 XJ
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I got the last led strand installed and I had to finally do a test fit with the speakers for the first time.
I have been putting all these small pieces together in my head this whole time I never really imagined them all together and it being this busy :) but I wanted to make layers to look through to see the pieces behind it and I think I got that.
First I love how the speaker wire for the regular mounted sub comes out of the PG/morel mirror inside of the polished pipe and runs right up next to the plexi at the same angle. From there it goes up, through some of other plexi pieces in the middle to hold it and finally back to a boomerang shaped piece I made just to hold the ends of the pipe from vibrating. I have to say I surprised myself a bit there as I am new to hose/pipe bending but I was able to match them up nearly perfectly and the brace on the end is only a 1/4" away from the speaker. I am not how ever looking forward to actually wiring that speaker up as I am pretty sure I will need to do it once the speaker is installed by reaching through the other side of the box... I also love how with both speakers facing the same direction it almost give an illusion that there is a mirror in there somehow.
This is the first time I pulled the protective cover off of this side. Now I can't wait for dark to start the light show...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Looks killer!
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I have been busy, a little on the box and with the transmission(STILL!) and with life in general. I was finally able to install the box and I made a grill to go in front of the woofer to protect it and to add a little style.
I painted the grill a black candy that has blue pearl in it that really looks cool in direct light.
For mounting I thought about some L-brackets but in the end I decided to go overboard and make it strong enough for what ever. I got a thick piece of angle iron and put some holes in it so that I can use 1/4-20 fasteners. Since it was in the air I went ahead and after tapping the holes in the trunk floor I put some washers and nuts on the bottom. I should be able to push the car by the box now.
the wiring took a little bit as well.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

got the floor and one of the sides started.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

and today I did the other side and started on the back wall area. I was hoping to make it in one piece but that is not going to happen. I put a window on this side just out for the sake of symmetry. Behind it I am going to hide a tool kit but on the window itself I might make a system lay out or maybe a logo or something. Idunno yet a lot of this is being made up as I go along.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

today I was happy to be able to wiggle in a really nice/complete tool kit on the passenger side and then started on the back wall. Next I will fiberglass those 3 pieces together so that they come up to the seal around the trunk edge.
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

its a really nice build buddy!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Today I masked everything up with tape first, then foil and started glassing the back wall of the trunk liner.
I didn't mix the hardener in well enough on the first coat so some spots cured and others were still soft so I did a hot coat on top and added a layer in a few spots I plan to shape.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

That’s looking killer. Can’t wait to see it all done.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I pulled the panel off and now the fill/sand/repeat process starts and it goes from messy, to really messy.
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

UGH, I hate body work.