old school Pontiac gain slider?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
theraymondguy

old school Pontiac gain slider?

Post by theraymondguy »

I have an MPS-2240 that was modded (by PG) for use in an IASCA competition vehicle in the 90s.

Trickery like Low pass filters on the inputs and it has an additional circuit board that eliminates the gain input - it’s meant to be run with a line driver. It wants all the preout voltage, Happiest running on my 5V alpineCDE175BT and my early pld-1 maxed.

Currently running on my old school 4V alpine cda7977 deadhead, there’s no doubt about the loss of 1V preout reducing the mps-2240s output.

Pontiac had a “performance sound” option that included powered kick panels (think Camaro Bose gold) and powered 4” subs with 4x6s in the sail panels.

I have a functional gain slider switch from Performance Sound option. I’ve butchered together a harness that adds resistance from the slider to reduce the output from a pld-1. The only purpose it serves is to provide some functionality to the switch - I know it’s hack, I don’t love it.

To add a bit more preout power to compensate from the reduced 4V and losses from the gain slider I was considering a CUBE in place of the pld-1, noting the CUBE has a base knob input and 9V rms vs 8 from the pld-1.here is my query.

The Pontiac Performance Sound slider is a 2 pin single variable resistor, it will go as low as 5 ohms, but that’s it. I believe most base knobs accommodate for two channels and are 3 pin.

It’s too cool an option to not integrate in a nicer way.

How would you use this slider?
Attachments
158FE660-DCDA-4CB5-B67E-E51B9927A3D7.jpeg
158FE660-DCDA-4CB5-B67E-E51B9927A3D7.jpeg (94.47 KiB) Viewed 2495 times
theraymondguy

Re: old school Pontiac gain slider?

Post by theraymondguy »

If someone could add @JACAMPB2 to the conversation that’d be sweet.
lilviper

Re: old school Pontiac gain slider?

Post by lilviper »

Is it possible to modify the slider to have a 0-10K linear taper? you could use it inplace of the standard rotary pot heres a thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5837&p=85487&hilit= ... ter#p85487