Looking for Nav screen that can display auto gauges also

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Me-262

Looking for Nav screen that can display auto gauges also

Post by Me-262 »

What I'm trying to say is: What company makes a navigation system that also can display automotive gauge info ? I have always toyed with the idea of running an aftermarket nav system as my headunit and I also want to have gauges to measure Oil temp, Water temp, Boost..... Can any of the current systems do both, and most importantly be accurate ? I don't need another set of idiot gauges. Make and model # please , thanks. I've never looked into nav head units so I have no knowledge whatsoever about them.
brenzbmr@sb
Booty Connoisseur

Post by brenzbmr@sb »

pioneer avic series i believe
You may have subs in your car........but my doors sound better!
LeggoMyEggo

Post by LeggoMyEggo »

brenzbmr@sb wrote:pioneer avic series i believe
Avic series has it's own detection of engine functions such as RPM, speed etc. However, you probably would need a Car PC to interface directly to OBD II system or CAN bus.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

I never really thought of that, it might come in handy at times! Make one up boys! :lol:
Me-262

Post by Me-262 »

Avic does ? I'll have to read the specs sheet. Reason being is I went to the track on Friday with my new ride and the water temp was rising just a bit on the idiot gauge. Also, one of the guys in the club threw a rod in his STi , possibly because he ran the oil too hot.

Has me thinking accurate gauges would be a smart idea and if I can get a unit that doubles as my GPS navigation that would be a bonus.

Does anyone know if the Avic will measure accurately or if its more of a toy ? The last thing I need is another idiot gauge. Thnks !
LeggoMyEggo

Post by LeggoMyEggo »

AVIC-Z2 has the following functions (from Pioneer's Website):

Vehicle Dynamics Display (VDD) Yes
Vehicle Dynamics Skins 3 (Original, Hologram, Classic)
VDD Gauge Selections 7 (Voltage, Clock, Direction, Slope, Acceleration, Side Acceleration, Angular Velocity

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v ... sComponent
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

the features that leggo reported above^^^ are about as extensive as anything i've seen from a car audio manufacturer. All they're really good at is adding flash to your in-dash dvd/nav unit. I wouldn't recommend anything except for purpose-built automotive gauges for the type of diagnostics you want to monitor.
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

My URAL CCD is supposed to be able to plug into OBDII and get real time info...but I dont think it is enabled at this time. But there are menu items there for it. Im not sure what it would take to get it to work, but maybe the manual says something...oh well...that thing is sitting in pieces on my desk where it has been for 4 months waiting for me to get off my lazy butt and put it back together and back in the car. Luckily, I have little motivation to do this as the Eclipse 8053 sounds splendid and I dont have the hard drive box for the URAL yet...and I am thinking of going iPod route...in which case, I might get an entirely new head unit...maybe opting for Apline's iPod only unit....not sure...my first experiment might be to try and install a SONOS zone player and a NAS in the car. ;)