Post CES

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Hontzo_MD

Post CES

Post by Hontzo_MD »

Ok, really Im a rabid consumer that strives on New Toys(translation: Tax Return!). And my company is living in the late 90's. What gives. We know there are new products being unveiled, but the website is the same as its been for months. Im looking to upgrade my Head unit, Ive found lots of new toys. Id like to also replace my rapidly aging Quart front end, Not sure what brand to seek out for that, but apparentlly nothing new there either.

Ive been hanging on for about 12 years now, but it seems they are missing the boat. Or is it that I have too big of expectations from a smaller company?
REALLY!?
"Im not even supposed to be here today!"-Dante Hicks
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

Honestly suggest you try the RSd components they are inexpensive and don't have the bling that many others have but they are tough to beat even at 3 times the price.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

VW337 wrote:Honestly suggest you try the RSd components they are inexpensive and don't have the bling that many others have but they are tough to beat even at 3 times the price.

x2 I think I did I reveiw of them on SB...killer set for the price. Mid bass is silly.
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
Hontzo_MD

Post by Hontzo_MD »

That would work, really, they are jammed in the doors, behind stock locations so I really dont care what they look like, I am used to throwing a shitload of power to my front end, Im running a X200.4 to the quarts now. My big question would be, is there a Coax mount available for the 6.5" set?
REALLY!?
Hontzo_MD

Post by Hontzo_MD »

That would work, really, they are jammed in the doors, behind stock locations so I really dont care what they look like, I am used to throwing a shitload of power to my front end, Im running a X200.4 to the quarts now. My big question would be, is there a Coax mount available for the 6.5" set?
REALLY!?
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Hontzo_MD wrote:That would work, really, they are jammed in the doors, behind stock locations so I really dont care what they look like, I am used to throwing a shitload of power to my front end, Im running a X200.4 to the quarts now. My big question would be, is there a Coax mount available for the 6.5" set?
the coaxil speaker is the same as the comp minus the nice xover.

you could try to cheat the system buy a coaxil pair then call PG aqnd tell them you lost your xover from you non existant comp set and need it replaced and just buy the xovers.
Hontzo_MD

Post by Hontzo_MD »

Well, How decent are the x-overs, Ive been using an active setup for the last few years.
REALLY!?
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

I am going to be picking up 2 sets of RsD comps soon, a 6 and a 6.5. Anyone on the forum a PG dealer? Anyone know what the prices are for these sets? I have heard they are sick. Errin told me quite a while back that the midbass is really great, like it can do what my Ti9ms can at least as far as frequency. Not sure wattage wise.
Rides History-www.cardomain.com/id/HotColt22

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Phoenixcolt wrote:I am going to be picking up 2 sets of RsD comps soon, a 6 and a 6.5. Anyone on the forum a PG dealer? Anyone know what the prices are for these sets? I have heard they are sick. Errin told me quite a while back that the midbass is really great, like it can do what my Ti9ms can at least as far as frequency. Not sure wattage wise.
I'm getting a pair of RSd 6" comps soon and I'd tell you how good they sound but you'll probably have made decisions before I get it installed and listen to it on a wide range of music.

I have my fingers crossed too.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

I may not have made my decision yet, so definitely let me know your personal opinion when you get them in. I was just talking to a shop that doesn't carry RsD and he was trying like hell to talk me into getting some JBL comps...which I know are good but the dude was bashing PG and saying they were bad and sounded horrible....when he has probably never even heard the elites or the RsDs...freakin salesmen ya know...

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

thats ridiculous, i would do a rsd - jbl "Pepsi challenge" any day of the week.

did you ask him specifics? which PG speaker sounded bad. what was bad? mid bass, highs?

which jbl's (not that it really matters, imo non of them can hold a candle to the rsd's) just curious
Last edited by Bfowler on Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Bfowler wrote:thats rediculous, i would do a rsd - jbl "pepsi challenge" any day of the week.

did you ask him specifics? which PG speaker sounded bad. what was bad? midbass, highs?

which jbl's (not that it really matters, imo non of them can hold a candle to the rsd's) just curious
I DONT KNOW....I think that new 3k 2-way set they showed at the ces may have an edge :wink: but I dont think that counts.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

ok.....that set might out do the 160msrp RSD's.....
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Bfowler wrote:ok.....that set might out do the 160msrp RSD's.....
I was just beign stupid...IMO and most that have tried the nothign will come close to the RSd in their price range. I am willing to bet you cant find a comp set at the performance of the RSD for under $400 retail. I have yet to hear anything that matches the midbass of the RSd....they are silly and just POUND AWAY. They kill every other mid bass I ever used in the size including the KICKER SSMB.

Only way you could get a better all around performance then the RSd at 160 is to design your own DIY speaker set up which will end up costing a lot more because of the need for processing and extra amps or retardly expensive tools that will allow you to design a passive xover that will work properly.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

bdubs767 wrote:
Bfowler wrote:ok.....that set might out do the 160msrp RSD's.....
I was just beign stupid...IMO and most that have tried the nothign will come close to the RSd in their price range. I am willing to bet you cant find a comp set at the performance of the RSD for under $400 retail. I have yet to hear anything that matches the midbass of the RSd....they are silly and just POUND AWAY. They kill every other mid bass I ever used in the size including the KICKER SSMB.

Only way you could get a better all around performance then the RSd at 160 is to design your own DIY speaker set up which will end up costing a lot more because of the need for processing and extra amps or retardly expensive tools that will allow you to design a passive xover that will work properly.
Wow, hearing this kind of stuff makes me even more glad I'm getting them! I'll definitely post what I think but since my comparison will be a set of 3.5" Kicker speakers from Tom's corolla, I don't think there will BE a comparison :D
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Bfowler wrote:thats ridiculous, i would do a rsd - jbl "Pepsi challenge" any day of the week.

did you ask him specifics? which PG speaker sounded bad. what was bad? mid bass, highs?

Yeah he didn't even give me a PG line so you know it was Octane R or something he was thinking of not that even Octane R is the worst speaker ever. This guy was just dying to make a sale on something he carried. I mean this guy said the gto or power series of JBL could even outdo PG(no line specified)... :D. I was like well I have some of the older Ti Elite stuff that is great and I am quite fond of PG as a co. and thats all I am really interested in. It was just such an ignorant sales pitch ya know...

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

I'll easily vouch for JBL being a good speaker and more to my liking than the Infinity line even though it is the same company with a different label, JBL's are more of a flat response instead of the ear piercing highs. The power series are a great speaker as well as the GTi series but I would put money on it that dollar for dollar they won't get anywhere near the performance of the RSd's. The RSd's may not be as flashy but who cares about the looks of something that is intended to be heard?
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

VW337 wrote:I'll easily vouch for JBL being a good speaker and more to my liking than the Infinity line even though it is the same company with a different label, JBL's are more of a flat response instead of the ear piercing highs. The power series are a great speaker as well as the GTi series but I would put money on it that dollar for dollar they won't get anywhere near the performance of the RSd's. The RSd's may not be as flashy but who cares about the looks of something that is intended to be heard?

well see on that soon w/ the woofers(I know your referencing the comps but still)....RSd12d and GTI 15"...not far in terms of output but Ill let you all know what I think of the two. If the RSd beats this too................. :roll: :roll: :roll: I dont know what to say

Think I may try to reproduce babies w/ the RSd.
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

Dub's umm yeah where did JBL's subs rate in the subwoofer buyer guide for the year?

However I was talking the comps and I'm sure you know this.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

VW337 wrote:Dub's umm yeah where did JBL's subs rate in the subwoofer buyer guide for the year?
The CA & E one....doesnt count as you know along w/ me we cant trust all their reviews. We have seen them hype up crap before....they had the p1s or p2s high on that list....come on I know you've heard them both and they don't belong w/ the sub that were on that list.

You've heard both the W12GTI mkII and the RSd minus the little bit of favortism naturally which did you prefer?

Either way Im not worried always wanted to try the GTI and for that price I can re sell it w/o a problem. If it doesnt cut on to the last three woofers (xxls, Ref HO, and Aura NS) on my list before I crown the RSd king of the world.
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

I agree, I know JBL does a pretty good job, I had a BP1200.1 amp and some power series 10s a few years back that kicked a little ass, but the thing that annoyed me was this guy was just trying to say that PG was a piece of crap. I know JBL does a nice mid to high end speaker and I have heard that they put out a more flat sound as you described and they sounded great the one time I heard them so I would vouch for them too but I'm still getting RSd comps :P .

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

bdubs767 wrote:
VW337 wrote:Dub's umm yeah where did JBL's subs rate in the subwoofer buyer guide for the year?
The CA & E one....doesnt count as you know along w/ me we cant trust all their reviews. We have seen them hype up crap before....they had the p1s or p2s high on that list....come on I know you've heard them both and they don't belong w/ the sub that were on that list.

I guarantee CA & E didn't get a dime from PG for the review, in fact when was the last time you saw a PG ad there? So I would suspect there is a bit of accuracy involved.
bdubs767 wrote: You've heard both the W12GTI mkII and the RSd minus the little bit of favortism naturally which did you prefer?
The W12GTi does sound good in all honesty and I do prefer a pulp cone, however it is a standard response driver meaning it still starts to roll off near 50hz as most car subs do. Xenon actually starts to roll off near a full octave lower and RSd is about a 1/2 octave lower, so any true low frequency from the GTi will tend to be forced since it is not naturally inclined to it.

looks around checks sleeves and laughs..............
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

VW337 wrote:
bdubs767 wrote:

I guarantee CA & E didn't get a dime from PG for the review, in fact when was the last time you saw a PG ad there? So I would suspect there is a bit of accuracy involved.
bdubs767 wrote: You've heard both the W12GTI mkII and the RSd minus the little bit of favortism naturally which did you prefer?
The W12GTi does sound good in all honesty and I do prefer a pulp cone, however it is a standard response driver meaning it still starts to roll off near 50hz as most car subs do. Xenon actually starts to roll off near a full octave lower and RSd is about a 1/2 octave lower, so any true low frequency from the GTi will tend to be forced since it is not naturally inclined to it.

looks around checks sleeves and laughs..............

Yes the RSd review was great....but you have to admitt other reveiws they have done have been off that wall.

lol politically correct way of saying...I prefer RSd. ERRIN FOR PRESIDENT make sure you take out hillary.

But I did notice that roll off w/ the GTI, but being a 15" should make up for the lower octaves vs a 12". Ill let you know what I think when I get it. IF it fails....NEXT is XXLS.
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

How would the RSd comps compare to Ti Elite 6.5 comps?

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Phoenixcolt wrote:How would the RSd comps compare to Ti Elite 6.5 comps?
Treble - same
Midrange - worse
Midbass - more