routers

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

routers

Post by bdubs767 »

Well i really need one so gonna pick one up soon....Im leanign to the skil because I hard its killer for the price and for the little use it will see from me should be perfect. A porter cable like router would be a waste as Ill onyl use ti like 4 times a year.

http://www.skilshop.com/routers/1820.html

then Ill pick up these for it
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl ... er=365-260

but WTF kind of bits will I need? Im lookign to round edges off, flush mounting drivers, and obv to cut holes.
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

I run a Porter Cable 890. I got the router, plunge base, fixed base, and 1/4" and 1/2" collets for $229, plus a rebate for a free PC finishing sander. I mounted the fixed base in a table and then got a circle attachment to keep on the plunge base all the time. I love this beast and highly recommend it, but can definitely understand your logic for a less expensive router, but remember this is a tool that you could have the rest of your life if it's properly maintained. Also, i'm hesitant to cut corners when it comes to a tool that spins razor sharp blades @ 23,000 rpms!

Either way, once you get a router you'll need some good bits. Even if you get an inexpensive router, DO NOT get cheap router bits!!! I highly recommend Whiteside Machine, but there are a few other premium names out there for bits. Regardless of name brand, you want to purchase solid carbide steel bits, not just carbide "tipped" or "edged" bits.
try www.routerbits.com for the best pricing.

some examples of commonly used bits are as follows:
rounded edges = roundover bits (changing bearings allows you to "bead")
concave edges = cove bits (opposite of roundover bits)
angled edges = chamfer bits
edge duplication = flush trim (primarily spiral cut, double fluted for aluminum)
notched edges = rabbet bit set (uses several different diameter bearings)

In addition to the bits themselves you'll find there's a never-ending list of accessories that makes the router capable of all kinds of cool stuff. check out www.mobilesolutions-usa.com to explore the possibilities.
Last edited by dedlyjedly on Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

depending in how much you will use it, that one will be fine.

the one i use is a black and Decker i picked up for $50.

the most important thing is the plunge option. and don't skimp on the bits. (my straight bit cost as much as my router)
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

The router is just a motor, as Fowler said the bits are what will cost you.

I suggest a Plunge router, my personal taste is Porter Cable.

For Bits look at Jesada. Always look for a carbide edge with bearings and multi-flute designs work best for MDF machining.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

oh yeah....just something to keep in mind.

the router is the single most dangerous tool in a (typical) woodshop.

be careful and treat it with respect
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

so what is typically a better bit for cutting through mdf and birch the flute or spiral?

And to make a drive flush mount on the wood, you just use either a flute or spiral bit w/ a wider cuttign diameter correct?
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

i use a 1/2" spiral-cut flush trim bit for just about everything i duplicate using jigs or templates. the only time i opt for the straight-cut fluted bits is when cutting aluminum and other non-ferrous metals or really thick acrylics.

a spiral-cut bit is constantly removing the debris from the cutting surface and the blade never leaves the cutting surface thus offering a smoother, more consistent cut. spiral-cut bits come in two varietys; downcut and upcut. an upcut bit pulls the material towards the router, while a downcut's spiral attempts to push the material away from the router. an upcut it typically used in an inverted table router so that the cutting material is pulled down to the table and the debris is literally pulled down into the table's dust collection chamber. a downcut is best used in a handheld router such as a plunge router mounted with a circle attatchment.

as for the "flush mount" i believe you're referring to a rabbet bit when mounting a driver in flush in a baffle. a rabbet bit is essentially a straight fluted flush trim bit with varying bearing sizes. by swapping out the bearings you can vary the depth of the cut into the material.

i usually browse the whiteside catalog here to find the manufacturer's part number www.whitesiderouterbits.com/catalog.html#catimgs
and then type that part number in the search feature of www.routerbits.com. it's difficult to search routerbits.com without the part numbers.