sony xes

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

sony xes

Post by bdubs767 »

any one have info on this set up? i cant find a thing.
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

I've never even heard of it. What little bit of info do you have?
Boomshackalacka
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Francious70 wrote:I've never even heard of it. What little bit of info do you have?
that...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

basically 4 way/ eq / ta killer sq unit
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Well, if you can get over the Sony stigma, it is an immaculate sounding device with awesome features.

Just keep in mind that the stuff is older now, and while it is extremely rare to see the stuff NIB like that, you may be able to find something modern that has all the features you need for cheaper.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Jesus, 4 pieces?? I don't think it's worth it mang.
Boomshackalacka
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

I've been reading little bit on ECA.. it's the top teir of things from I can tell alpine f1 level.
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

XES was the high end digital equipment from Sony just prior to the C90 and xm-d4000(model number?) digital processor combo.

The display on that XES deck is very good (especially when compared to the C90) and is pretty sexy when installed in a dash in addition to the stellar audio performance you'll receive from the XES.

If I'm not mistaken, the XES was uniques though in that you could run the audio signal in digital form all the way in to a matching XES amplifier.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

dedlyjedly wrote:XES was the high end digital equipment from Sony just prior to the C90 and xm-d4000(model number?) digital processor combo.

The display on that XES deck is very good (especially when compared to the C90) and is pretty sexy when installed in a dash in addition to the stellar audio performance you'll receive from the XES.

If I'm not mistaken, the XES was uniques though in that you could run the audio signal in digital form all the way in to a matching XES amplifier.
I can basically replace my iva-d900 and pxah701 for the entire set up w/ a cd changer (I would be getting it from else where not from ebay).

From what I can tell it will be an upgrade, from an audio perspective minus not having the option of a graphic EQ, plus better internal parts ect. The only minus I see would be loosing the screen, but I dont use it any how. Also I do think that sony face from the unti it damn sexy and classy, lot better looking then the IVA IMO.

Anything Im missing tho on it beign an upgrade?
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

It looks like it has a lot of the features the PG X station was suppose to have.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

AVICJR wrote:It looks like it has a lot of the features the PG X station was suppose to have.
I'm workign on gettign firm specs for this thing

what steven head told me the owner of the one I'm looking at...

All x/o slopes are 70 dB/Oct with no phase shift
all D/A converters are 18bit crystal
it uses toslink fiberoptics to send signal with all procession done in digital domain
s/n ratio is thru the roof
4-way xover
the EQ is 5 band full parametric on each channel, you pick any frequency you want! SWEET!
full time alignment all channels
remote display is gorgeous!

So had sme pros and cons vs the pxa...just one thing that disapionts me in the 18bit instead of 24 bit :(
marko

Post by marko »

i looked into getting one of these systems once but the x-over points are pretty limited iirc :( and who needs 70db slopes :roll:
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
2x original shrouded ms2250's.
Route 66 in box + custom m100 to match.
Roadster 66 in flight case
Octane LE in box.
Reactor #186 in flight case.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
AX204A + EQ232 + ZPX2 + TBA set
ZCS6 component set
Tantrum+Titanium bass cubes
Ti12d Elite sub
DD5 + DD10 + 6 Ti blocks!
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

marko wrote:i looked into getting one of these systems once but the x-over points are pretty limited iirc :( and who needs 70db slopes :roll:
just found a ton a info on it...

xover points are terrible...LP for sub only down to 73hz eww

only 70 db slopes yuck

no phase control

pxa def better unit in terms of features and rpob parts as its dac is 24bit
Hontzo_MD

Post by Hontzo_MD »

That gear is back circa 1995 ish. Its rare mainly because to make the whole deal work, you had to go All-in on the gear, matching EVERYTHING. It uses std home audio issue Tos-link for digital audio. My store had a pair of the cd changers left over(in a land before Ebay) that we couldnt do anything with. For what that ended at you could put a smokin setup together. It might not have the spinning dildo remote, but most of us would be ok without it.
REALLY!?
"Im not even supposed to be here today!"-Dante Hicks
mrblack

Post by mrblack »

Having your sub crossed over at 70 hz with a 72db slope is quite different from what one would expect. It's like a brick wall, and to me it tends to sound deeper and more accurate than what I've become familier hearing in a system with a sub crossed over at 50 hz under a more standard 24 db/octave slope. But then again it all depends on the setup. Just some food for thought...

If the old XES system got you going, check out the more recent revision, the XES Z50.
Sony ES CDX-C90, XDP-4000X, XM-2000R, Phoenix Gold M44, MS2250, Infinity Beta 8-5-1
marko

Post by marko »

bdubs767 wrote:
marko wrote:i looked into getting one of these systems once but the x-over points are pretty limited iirc :( and who needs 70db slopes :roll:
just found a ton a info on it...

xover points are terrible...LP for sub only down to 73hz eww

only 70 db slopes yuck

no phase control

pxa def better unit in terms of features and rpob parts as its dac is 24bit
also if my memory serves me right there was limits with midbass x-over points in particular, fantastic set up if you can get away with the x-over points on offer, but for me a plain basic analogue x-over takes some beating especially the kef ke6....
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
2x original shrouded ms2250's.
Route 66 in box + custom m100 to match.
Roadster 66 in flight case
Octane LE in box.
Reactor #186 in flight case.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
AX204A + EQ232 + ZPX2 + TBA set
ZCS6 component set
Tantrum+Titanium bass cubes
Ti12d Elite sub
DD5 + DD10 + 6 Ti blocks!
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

mrblack wrote:Having your sub crossed over at 70 hz with a 72db slope is quite different from what one would expect. It's like a brick wall, and to me it tends to sound deeper and more accurate than what I've become familier hearing in a system with a sub crossed over at 50 hz under a more standard 24 db/octave slope. But then again it all depends on the setup. Just some food for thought...

If the old XES system got you going, check out the more recent revision, the XES Z50.
welcome over here black....yea I bit 70db slopes is liek hitting a brick wall damn those some steep slopes lol would be kind fun to play w/ them tho.
mrblack

Post by mrblack »

Thanks Bdubs, wish it hadn't taken me so long to realize where everyone had gone... I've got lotz of reading to do! :shock:
Sony ES CDX-C90, XDP-4000X, XM-2000R, Phoenix Gold M44, MS2250, Infinity Beta 8-5-1