Is it worth it to do 2 RSd sets

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Phoenixcolt

Is it worth it to do 2 RSd sets

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Anyone know the actual mounting width of the RSd 6" comp set. I want to get these q-logic kickpanels for my VW Golf but it says they only recommend 5.25" for them but it also says that you can mount something in there with up to 6 1/8" mounting width. They have another one made for 6.5" but its $45 more expensive.

Anyone else use these Q-Logic Kicks? Are they even a good investment?

If I were to run a 5.25" set in the kicks and a 6.5" in my door and dash, would it be a bad combo or would they complement each other fine? I wanted to run a 6" set and a 6.5" set but I don't know if the extra money on the larger kicks is worth it.

Thanks.

Please See Question Down The Bottom.
Last edited by Phoenixcolt on Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:53 am, edited 9 times in total.
Rides History-www.cardomain.com/id/HotColt22

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Crap, I just read a really bad review about the q kicks regarding the amount of trimming that had to be done to get them in and even then they didnt fit perfect...damn I really wanted to put two sets in the front...anyone else have trimming trouble with these? Anyone else seen them in a VW applications? Do I need to seal off the back? Let me know what you think.

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

I owned a set of the q logics and for the amount of money and time you spend wasting on trying to get them in you can actually get a custom set built for your car.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

I bought a pair but I haven't installed them yet although I did a test fit and they fit exactly the same as the stock kick panels, obviously they are bigger than the stock ones but the fit is near perfect in my vehicle. I assume this isn't the case with all their models though. I have a '91 4Runner.

For what you pay for these things, it's almost a toss up with a fiberglass job. Really, these things are for lazy noobs like me who:

a) can't be fucked to learn how to fiberglass properly for one job
b) probably don't have the physical skill to make anything that doesn't burn the eyes and ears

Considering the amount of tools I'd have to buy/rent to make fiberglass kicks, I think my purchase decision was the right one. That and the fact that I probably suck ass at fiberglassing.

These things are definitely "consumer" products, not audio professional stuff.. any pro would likely make custom fiberglass kicks over these things.

One thing I'll mention is that you should probably get some deadner for them. They aren't sealed and they are made out of plastic, so anything that makes them heavier and more solid is a good thing. Someone recommended modeller's clay in another thread, I think I might do that plus some deadner mat on the back side... I'm also considering "sealing" them with some kind of "cup" over the back of the speaker on the inside of the kicks themselves....

If you can wait, I should probably have the RSd comps (6", wish me luck!) in a week or two and then I'll be going right ahead with the installation and hopefully not do a half assed job.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Re: Mounting RSd Comps In Q-Logic Kicks

Post by Bfowler »

Phoenixcolt wrote:Anyone know the actual mounting width of the RSd 6" comp set. I want to get these q-logic kickpanels for my VW Golf but it says they only recommend 5.25" for them but it also says that you can mount something in there with up to 6 1/8" mounting width. They have another one made for 6.5" but its $45 more expensive.

Anyone else use these Q-Logic Kicks? Are they even a good investment?

If I were to run a 5.25" set in the kicks and a 6.5" in my door and dash, would it be a bad combo or would they complement each other fine? I wanted to run a 6" set and a 6.5" set but I don't know if the extra money on the larger kicks is worth it.

Thanks.

you could run a 6.5 in the door as a dedicated midbass, and then run the 5.25 componet set in the kicks....and that would sound awesome
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

If the Octane-ZR comps are the same physical size as the RSd comps (which I've been led to believe), then the 6" RSd's should be 5 1/8" in mouting diameter, with a depth of 2 1/2", referenced here:

ftp://208.187.38.55/Phoenix_Gold/Manual ... manual.pdf

I wish they had manuals for the RSd's on that FTP site :(
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

they are almost identical in size. i might get in trouble for this....but meh, they don't employ me...(the comps physical size is the same as the corresponding coax)

http://www.structured.com/temp/temp/rsdcoaxmanual.pdf
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Bfowler wrote: you could run a 6.5 in the door as a dedicated midbass, and then run the 5.25 componet set in the kicks....and that would sound awesome
Yeah I was thinking of doing that but I wanted to power everything with one amp, a Ti600.2, but the best way for me to keep it at one amp with midbass drivers and without adding a lot of other electronics is to run a Ti500.4 in 3 way bandpass mode which is a lot less wattage...but these q-forms don't sound like they are going to be a good idea and I don't want to spend the money on getting kicks glassed. I have seen it done once and might be able to do it but they would prob come out pretty bad the first few times I did them myself.

I may post on SB just to see if anyone has tried to install them in a VW that isn't on this forum but I am pretty sure they aren't gonna be a wise investment.

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

I may post on SB just to see if anyone has tried to install them in a VW that isn't on this forum but I am pretty sure they aren't gonna be a wise investment.
How much are the q-forms for your VW? Mine were less than $150CAD shipped which is the top limit of what I would consider acceptable... but they do fit perfect. If they didn't I would consider the price I paid to be too high.
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Yeah mine are about 140 shipped. What kind of VW did you put them in, what year and model?

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Bfowler wrote:
you could run a 6.5 in the door as a dedicated midbass, and then run the 5.25 componet set in the kicks....and that would sound awesome

Or the 4" coaxil in kicks :roll: all active.

If I were to use RSd speakers in a permant install thats what I'd do.

those rsd 4s sounded sweet...
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Just 4" Coaxes in the kicks? Did i miss something?
Last edited by Phoenixcolt on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

What kind of VW did you put them in, what year and model?
Oh, I don't have a VW... I have a 91 Toyota 4Runner.
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

Oh, sorry about that, I read your post up top that says that but I didn't realize it was the same person.

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12
BG_001

Post by BG_001 »

i have a set of q logic kicks in my Yukon. I like them a lot. I used to have custom fiberglass kicks, and they prevented my park break from working, so I had to get something different. They fit right in, but yes, I did have to trim a good bit to fit the speakers in there.
2003 Nissan 350Z
Alpine INA-W900
Alpine Type R 6.5 Comps
Phoenix Gold RSdc 102 (2)
Phoenix Gold X200.4
Box by www.zenclosures.com
Phoenixcolt

Post by Phoenixcolt »

I found a guy on a vw forum that has some q-forms already cut out for 5.25 comps and trimmed for a vw so I might try to pick those up from him for cheap. Less work for me 8) ...But:

You guys think itll even sound good with 2 sets up front, 6.5 and 5.25, getting about 600 watts from a Ti600.2? Or is it kinda wasteful to do 2 sets?
Bfowler wrote:you could run a 6.5 in the door as a dedicated midbass, and then run the 5.25 componet set in the kicks....and that would sound awesome
A 6.5" midbass made by a different company? Or use an RSd 6.5" midrange as a midbass and an RSd 5.25" midrange as the midrange? I assume the former...but then I would have to buy an amp for the 6.5 midbasses and an amp for my sub down the road when I get it...

GOT MY ANSWER IN THE OTHER COMP POST, THANKS GUYS.

JL HD1200/1
JL HD600/4
ID XS65
IDMAX 10D4 V3

On Tap/Stash:
DQS+DDC
Ti12D Elite
RSd12